An ontopic hunting poll

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

An ontopic hunting poll

Post by Doc Hudson »

A thread started by RSY got me to thinking.

Scott was rather incensed that a hunting show on Tv was showing a kid being taken on his first hunt and setting up the blind with no hearing protection in sight.

My question is what's the big deal? Until my hearing got so bad I could barely hear thunder, I never used any sort of earmuffs while hunting, and those were for sound amplification more than for hearing protection. It has long been an article of faith among hunters and lawmen that when there is a trophy in the sights, or when one is shooting for their life folks generally don't even hear the shot. Sure hearing protection is a must when practicing, but I don't know any hunters who use plain hearing protectors while hunting. I really don't understand why Scott and some others were bent out of shape because no hearing protection was being used.

So here are the poll questions:

1 - Do you use hearing protection while hunting?

2 - If you use hearing protection while hunting, what type do you use?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Re: An ontopic hunting poll

Post by WCF3030 »

No.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Nope. I need my ears when I'm sneakin'.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I have never used hearing protection while hunting. I have thought about using one of the Game Ear enhancer/protector things but have never bought it.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

No not when hunting.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Always target shooting, never hunting.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I only wear hearing protection when hunting with GK Jr. He has a habit of blasting things out of the sky with his 12 Gauge whilst standing beside me as I'm looking in another direction! :shock: :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I use hearing protection only when hunting with a handgun. I use a pair of plugs that are on a thin spring steel band similar to regular muffs only much trimmer. I just keep them around my neck and when I see a game animal approaching I pop them in my ears. It only takes a couple seconds and I feel it's worthwhile, even for only one shot from my 454 or 44 mag.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Always when target shooting. Since the stupid EBR law made me trade in a flash suppressor for a 'muzzle brake' I even wear plugs AND muffs for that gun. (I was just about to spend the money to reinstall a flash suppressor on the un-threaded politically correct barrel, but now will likely just wait until prices go up more and sell the whole durned gun.)

Always when hunting - but then they're Howard Leight's or Pro Ear's - both are electronic amplifying muffs. Reasons? Three:
-a. to protect hearing BEFORE the damage is done
-b. because I can hear deer BETTER with the amplifying muffs
-c. because my ears get cold sitting in the deerstand! :mrgreen:

Not for varmints (coyotes in the goat pen, raccoons in the chicken coop, etc.) - but then I'm usually using a lower power round or .22LR

I love in the cop movies how the cop shoots 3 or 4 times from their snubby .357 inside their patrol car at a bad guy, and an hour later is pillow-talking their girlfriend; in real life they'd either be in the ER with bleeding ear drums, or shouting 'Huh?' when with their girlfriend...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I keep them handy in the truck but don't wear the muffs while hunting.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I keep meaning to....... :oops: I should get some Game Ears, I think....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Huh? :D
I never use hearing protection while hunting, but all the time at the range.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Never when hunting, always for competition and all other shooting. (muffs andplugs)
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

I don't think you will find too many hunters hunting with ear protection. I don't. You are only going to most likely fire one shot. As already said you have to be able to hear the game.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I was Arty. No amout of "Hunting Boom" is going to affect hearing that has (even wearing plugs) spent years around 8" howitzers.

That said, I always wear plugs &/or muffs depending on location when at the range.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

No, not when I'm hunting but at the shooting range for sure.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Never when hunting. But on the other hand, I don't hunt with those hyper-quantum-magnums that generate a skull-splitting crack.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

game keeper wrote:I only wear hearing protection when hunting with GK Jr. He has a habit of blasting things out of the sky with his 12 Gauge whilst standing beside me as I'm looking in another direction! :shock: :wink:
Explains the pic in the profile, lol.

I'm like all the others, muffs at the range always, never when hunting.

I have tinitis and poor hearing from years of loud motorcycles and heavy metal music.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Never hunting, usually only shoot once. Always at the bench. Pistols are a bugger though , my 45 doesn't bother me but the 357Mag did thats why it's goen.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

BSAride,
Shame on you, scooters yes, metal music no,................................ rock, hard, loud YES!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

No. I should.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

big game hunting ....no
turkey hunting ....no
dove field ....yes...
duck blind.... yes
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Yes, Sonic II 's( I think).

I used a Rossi "coach gun" to dove hunt for about three years and noticed a difference in hearing, particularly in my left ear.

I'm protecting what I've got left.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

never hunting, always target shooting
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

If I'm hunting from a stand/blind I will have on hearing protection. If I'm still hunting I don't. I don't think it's a matter of not hearing the shot, the noise is there, as not noticing it. A loud noise causes hearing loss whether you notice it or not. I have to agree with RSY. I'm setting here typing and the loudest noise I hear is the ringing in my ears. I don't want youngsters to damage their hearing as I have done to mine. Whats wrong with trying to teach kids to protect their hearing?
Ricky

DWWC
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I don't when walking, but I am trying to use earplugs when I can. I put them in when watching over a clearing during the 7-9 am high percentage hours. But I would not try to fiddle with them if I saw a deer while I was on the move. And I feel I need to keep them out to give myself a chance to hear a mountain lion.

I would like to get some amplified ear muffs for hunting, but I also have to wear a brimmed hat, the sun is very intense and I'm pretty sparse up top. So, skin cancer or hearing loss, pick one.

I did wear earplugs when quail hunting last year, it helped also to keep me from getting flustered when they beat their wings. That usually scares the snot out of me, even when I'm expecting it.

I may take up coyote hunting and calling, and will probably wear earplugs for that. The call is loud, and if the coyote's coming they're coming within a half hour or so.

I am getting a little tinnius and sensitivity but I think it's from my obsessive clarinet playing. I used to play in the car during lunch break, in addition to playing at home. At the range I usually have double protection, plugs and muffs both. Even so there have been some loud guns going off next to me. We had a guy at our range firing off some sort of 450 supermag elephant gun, LOUD doesn't describe it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

99.9% of my hunting is still hunting- take a few steps, watch and listen, take a few more steps, watch and listen, etc. I need my ears and eyes for this so no I don't wear hearing protection. Don't know if it's really different hunt in a stand or blind, the only time I hunted from a ground blind was on my Texas Safari, and the muzzle was out the opening and I don't recall a muzzle blast when I shot my antelope. I have never pistol hunted and when I do I may consider it then.

How many of you pistol hunters use hearing protection?
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I used to do like you guys-- yes at the range, and never while hunting. Now, like 20 cows, I am protecting what I have left. I never shoot without plugs - the kind that you have poured in your ear, they are quite comfy and I pull one out slightly while hunting so a light touch will engage them. I can tell you my lovely wife is sick and tired of me asking her to repeat herself.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

mescalero1 wrote:Always target shooting, never hunting.
same here
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Hunting: No
Shooting: Yes (if larger than a .22)
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I do not wear them while hunting BUT, after this last week's hunt I may change my mind. I was using my 300 Weatherby with a Pendelton brake (offered by the company in the mid 60's) and shot twice at a mulie buck. Boy were my ears ringing. :o I had a second tag and decided I would at least pull down my ear flaps before I shot again.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

No....

Could you speak up, I can't hear you.

Not when hunting, lost two pair muffs in the woods over the years, they are a pain in the kazoo.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

At the range I have in ear plugs with muffs on over them. Hunting, I'd only wear ear protection if I was shooting out of a well enclosed blind or stand, and I'd only put them on right before shooting. The same rules would apply if I had a child with me.

~Michael
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

While hunting, NO

Same as the others, yes while target practicing.

On election night I was making some orders for reloading supplies and midway offered a pair of amplified ear muffs at a reduced rate for $14.99. I went ahead at that price & ordered 2. One was a gift for youngest son on Christmas.

I got a chance to try them out a few days ago and was surprised at how well they amplified. I could hear my electric fence clicking as i went through the gate. not something I can hear with a "naked" ear. I don't know at this point if I'd choose them to hunt with though.

As for requiring a child to wear hearing protection while hunting, Well it's probaly a good idea. Although I'm about sick to death of folks telling me how to live, like wearing a helmet while riding a horse etc.

It's a lot earier to "hear" good advice when it's not being force fed.
AQHA Life Member
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

Hunting=no
Any other type of shooting=yes
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Wow! Looks like I almost missed the party in my honor. :wink:

After years of indulging in loud music (both onstage and off) and half a lifetime of unprotected shooting, I wish I had what I had...and want to keep what's left. Before I even had a driver's license I noticed I couldn't hear my watch ticking in my right ear (I'm a lefty). That was due to just a few seasons of duck hunting in sink boxes off Port O'Connor. When you're all side-by-side and swing on some passing birds, you're gonna get someone's muzzle in your ear, more often than not. No bueno.

What I do afield is pretty simple and definitely practical. If I'm still hunting, I always carry a pair of these around my neck. Once I spot something to pursue, they go in. Now, if I literally jump something, I obviously don't have time to put them in and I'm gonna get the full "BOOM!" Whether, or not, one consciously hears the report, the physical effect is still there. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

If hunting from a hide or in a blind, I carry just a regular pair of basic passive muffs in my pack. In that situation, I have never not had the time to put them on before taking the shot.

Now, my beef with the show I mentioned was not necessarily the hearing protection issue (though it is important, especially when introducing a youngster to the game). Instead, it was the hypocrisy of it being essentially the Walker Game Ear Show and no protection, not even simple foam plugs, being used.

Hey, don't change what you do on my account. People that make hearing aids need to work, too. :D

Scott
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Never while hunting. Always when at the range or plinking. In fact, I wear hearing protection when I mow my yard.

Like Ji, I generally don't sit very long in one place while hunting and I hunt in big bear, little bear and cougar country. Tachpsyche will take care of my hearing during the adrenal dump of a hunting shot. But, multiple exposures over time I'll throw them on.

I made the mistake one time of not using hearing protection and it made a big impression on me. I'd just bought a brand new S&W 29 in 44 mag and on the way home I took a detour in the pucker brush. I couldn't wait to crank off a cylinder full. I loaded up, took a nice rest on the roof of my car and BOOM. My ears rang for four hours. I won't do it again.
Old Law Dawg
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Tachypsychia won't won't protect the physical mechanics of your ear, just your mental perception of the sound.

Scott
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Aways at the range, never hunting. What? Did you say something..........
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I ALWAYS use hearing protection when hunting with a firearm. I won't even shoot without it. If it may be a one shot deal, I usually use two Walkers Game Ears. If I am shooting something particularly loud or several rounds I use ear plugs and a headset. Sometime I will use the earplugs with an amplified headset turned up loud. You can still hear conversation but the boom is silenced.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

No...
ED
Yer never too old
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Scott,

FWIW, I was not trying to change anyone's mind either. I just wanted to see if I was the last of the low tech hunters.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Doc Hudson wrote:I just wanted to see if I was the last of the low tech hunters.
I hear ya, Doc. And, I'm with you. Notice that nothing I carry afield requires batteries or solar panels. :wink:

Scott
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

On the other hand, I own & operate a lot of machinery; and I always wear hearing protection while operating it.
That constant din drives me up the wall.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

mescalero1 wrote:On the other hand, I own & operate a lot of machinery; and I always wear hearing protection while operating it.
That constant din drives me up the wall.
Years of working with loud machinery probably has had as much to do with my hearing loss as gunfire.

Image Image
UNITE!
jimincolo
Levergunner

Post by jimincolo »

Always at the range, never in the field. I usually wear the full ear muff style when sighting in. I do not own a muzzle braked rifle, & attempt to steer clear of those that do.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

What did he say? For many years, no, I didn't use them hunting. I never can remember hearing the shot(s). But sometimes my ears would ring. About 6 years ago, I started using electronic ear muffs. I can, actually, hear better with them. It took a bit of experimentation to get the volume set right, but once I figured that out, all was good. On the plus side, when it's very cold out, they keep your ears warm.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'd be inclined to try "game ears" or some such, but somehow the price for decent in-the-ear canceller/enhancers galls me.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I can't hear my watch ticking in either ear, but my wife says digital watches don't tick! :o :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/