Companion Sixgun to my Puma 92 16" 44 magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
victor6
Levergunner

Companion Sixgun to my Puma 92 16" 44 magnum

Post by victor6 »

I'm trying to decide on a companion sixgun to go with my newly acquired Puma 92 16" barrel 44 magnum (my very first levergun).

The choices I already have -

1) Ruger 50th Anniversary Blackhawk in 357 magnum. I like the small size/portability, but it is in 357 ... just seems wrong to pair it up with a 44

2) Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44 magnum. Never fell in love with the gun and it is way too large / heavy to be a "backup" to the Puma.

So ... do I just carry the 357 as-is ... trade in the SB Hunter for a smaller SB in 44 magnum ... or perhaps send in the 50th to Clements to make it a 44 special (pair up a special with a magnum?)

Your input is appreciated. I'm so confused ... :?

Thanks,

Victor
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Companion Sixgun to my Puma 92 16" 44 magnum

Post by Old Savage »

Nothing wrong with separate calibers and certainly not with the 44 Spl. option.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

Congratulations on the new rifle. If it were me I would probably look for an original Vaquero in 44 magnum. Of course with that you will have fixed sights. Just guessing, but we may start to see more, levers and single actions out their, with people trying to offset the price of their new black rifles and pistols.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

lots of choices:

.44 special is always a good choice

.44 mag for same caliber

.357 for a pistol that could be better used on small game

.22lr making it a great all around pair.

I went with the .357 rifle and .357 Super blackhawk Bisley, with model 60 in .357 for CCW. .38s for small game. 180 grain for bigger game. makes reloading easy. I also have a Walther PP in .22 available for going smaller and .45acp double action Smith if I want bigger. The Bisley has adjustable sights which I find a +. Alot of folks subscrible to the big rifle-small pistol, or big pistol -small rifle instead of matching calibers. Comes down to how you hunt, what feels good to you, what gets you carrying your firearms with you more. When I hunt deer I like the big rifle, small pistol combo. In camp, I like a powerful sidearm on my side. When camping near people, I like my ccw with me and my rifle just out of sight. I hunt with four rifle calibers - .22, .357, 30-30, 45-70. and my pistols are .22, .357, .45acp. Depending on game, terrain, location, and distance from home depends on the choices I make. Local hunting will see me with either the .357 or 30-30 for deer, with a .357 or .22 on my hip. For small game, a .22 rifle and a .357 and .22 on my hip. If I go with the 45-70 for deer then its the .357 pistol or .22. For fishing, generally the model 60 3 inch in .357 or .22.

Having said all that, the reason I went with .357 rifle, .357 pistol, .357 CCW is if I ever had to grab and go, I would grab those three and my .22 Walther PP, and my 12 gauge Benelli and would have all bases covered pretty well.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot