What you find when you can't buy ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

What you find when you can't buy ....

Post by J Miller »

I was at a local gun shop looking for a birthday present for my wife. It's this Saturday, day after tomorrow. She finally told me she'd like a knife she could put on her belt. So I was looking at those. Way to many choices considering I don't know exactly what she's thinking of.

So after looking at the knives I walked over and looked at the Rugers and rifles.

The first thing that caught my eye was an Uberti 1866 Short Rifle. Really nice wood, excellent wood to metal fit, metal finishing was beautiful. Caliber was 44-40. It had the 20" octagon barrel with the ladder rear sight and a big honkin bead front sight. Not sure that was original, it just looked out of place to me. The counterman said the rifle was used and it was priced at 697.99 before taxes and NICS charges. I fondled it and actually avoided drooling on it. But boy would it look nice along side of my Winchesters and Marlin.

There were couple of New Vaqueros, one .357, and one .45 Colt. The .357 had the black checkered grips on it, the .45 had what looked like the old rose wood grips with the standard medallion. Although the tag said New Vaquero, it wouldn't have surprised me if was a Vaquero.
I didn't physically examine those two.
There was also a NIB 50th Anniversary 44 Mag Flattop that I did look at. Serial number 580-00238 IIRC. In nice shape, only the beginning of a drag mark and not a full circumference mark either. Action felt nice but stiff as in NEW. Trigger pull has a bit of creep but wasn't too awful heavy. Warning on the bottom of the barrel.

I was thinking how nice it was until I looked at the front sight. It's tilting a bit to the left. Enough to bother me so no way would I buy it. Too bad though, I really was interested, even if I couldn't buy it.
The OTD price is $538.70, I don't know if that is good bad or indifferent.

If anybody is interested in either of these, PM or email me and I'll get contact info for you.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***