OT: Receiver Hitch accessories

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Receiver Hitch accessories

Post by J Miller »

I just had a Class III receiver hitch installed on my 95 Pathfinder. I've got to buy at least four hitch covers to keep snow and road salt as well as other mud and debris out of the hitch. Both ends are open and so is the front and back of the receiver part itself.

I've found some on the Draw-Tite web site, but they don't appear to sell from the site. The dealer that installed it had a few covers but nothing simple to cover the ends and front.

Does anybody here know of a site where I can buy 2" square tube caps or plugs to cover the ends of this hitch?

TIA

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: Receiver Hitch accessories

Post by Malamute »

I'd say just leave it open if you don't have the hitch in it. Covering it will hold in the corrosive junk, open, you can wash it out and it will dry. I've never closed any of mine, I've used them for 25 or more years and not had any problems, including time back in the midwest in winter.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I thought of that, but I don't like the holes on the sides. Sort of a visual thing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd buy the Biggest, ugliest, most deadly looking hitch to stick in it. With multiple balls if possible. Then lock it in place with a good lock to keep it from walking away. At least that's what I did with my Dodge Dakota. It really cuts down on the tailgaters. Mine is about radiator high to a Honda Civic. LOL!!! It can turn an otherwise harmless 5 MPH bumper brusher into a tow bill in a split second of inattention.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rusty wrote:I'd buy the Biggest, ugliest, most deadly looking hitch to stick in it. With multiple balls if possible. Then lock it in place with a good lock to keep it from walking away. At least that's what I did with my Dodge Dakota. It really cuts down on the tailgaters. Mine is about radiator high to a Honda Civic. LOL!!! It can turn an otherwise harmless 5 MPH bumper brusher into a tow bill in a split second of inattention.

:D :lol: :P :twisted: , LOVE IT!!!!

I've got the ball mount but it only put's the ball right at the rear of the external spare tire.

Besides, if someone rear ends me, it's their accident and I'll get a new Pathfinder out of it.
Plus medical
Plus pain and suffering ( I can really suffer too )
Plus revenge if the lawyer is good enough

Joe
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I gave up on em too. Instead I use white lithium grease in a spray can on the inside of the receivers, and outside of the "slugs". It provides reasonable protection without being a nasty mess WHEN (not if) ya get it on yer pant legs.
Certified gun nut
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Hi Joe.....try www.jcwhitney.com they have stuff.
UNITE
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Did you try any steel shops locally, try the yellow pages for steel tubing, I bet you are not the first to want end plugs .Probably be plastic.

good luck
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

J35nut wrote:Did you try any steel shops locally, try the yellow pages for steel tubing, I bet you are not the first to want end plugs .Probably be plastic.

good luck
Not yet. I'm gonna go back to the dealer that installed it and see if he can't order some the hitch makers show in their web site. And yes they are either plastic or rubber.

Mokwaw,
I didn't know JCWhitney was still around. I'll have to check 'em out.

Joe
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

And I thought we were gonna be talkin boats-N-snowmachines...Never thought of plugging the holes with anything but the hitch.
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Coldfingers, others,,

Maybe I should take some peektchurs so you'll have an idea of how this receiver is set up. That might help.

Joe