1876 barrel length

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

1876 barrel length

Post by BILLYDIXON »

I want to get a 1876 rifle but not sure what barrel length to get. I plan on hunting and general target practice. Caliber 45/60.
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 1876 barrel length

Post by Slick13 »

BILLYDIXON wrote:I want to get a 1876 rifle but not sure what barrel length to get. I plan on hunting and general target practice. Caliber 45/60.
I've handled one of the Chapparels in .40-60. Can't remember the barrel length, but it was most likely 28". Big, heavy gun. Almost too heavy to lug around hunting. If I was getting one, I'd probably get the shortest barrel possible (22"?) .

~Michael
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

I had the 22" quite handy, still really heavy but then again its a honking big rifle. Good luck
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If I bought one it would have the longest available barrel made, but that's just the type of levergun I like!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

marlinman93 wrote:If I bought one it would have the longest available barrel made, but that's just the type of levergun I like!
+1 I have the 28" barrel in .45-60, and love it. I like long, LONG rifles and short, SHORT carbines. For the 1876 I'd go with what I went with - the longest barrel they had. :D
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I like those loooong barrels and the short rifle appeals all most as much. 1886.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Ever since watching Tom Horn years ago I want a long barrel 1876. One of these days I will get one. It just looked sooo cool in that movie. I do like carbines and have a Trapdoor carbine in 45-70 but I also have a Sharps which i love equally.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

I found an old Winchester 1876, 45-60 caliber, that has a 23.5" barrel. It was in a bit of a slump as far as being shootable. I paid for it and I had the barrel relined and some new parts installed and she is revamped and ready to shoot. I like the length of barrel, easy to carry an easy on the eyes.

But, it depends on what distance you are ready gonna shoot the rifle at. Mine at 23.5" is, at best, good out to 200 yards, maybe.... Course, I have only shot it out to 100 yards, only ,so far. But it is getting harder to get out to the range. Still working on loads. But I may only shoot out to 100 yards, 200 yards ranges are hard to find.

I figure, you gotta get a couple of different barrel lengths in each caliber ! :D Oh yeah, more shopping!!! :wink:

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I like them both ways too! Long barrels on rifles, and short barrels on carbines!
A 32" rifle, and 20" carbine.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Awww Heck, Marlinman, You always have something mighty nice to show. I will show my reconditioned girl. 1876, 45-60 caliber, with the chopped off barrel, down to 23.5 inches. She was pretty well wore out, but I reworked her and though she is still kinda murky looking, I really love er. :D

FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

marlinman93 wrote:If I bought one it would have the longest available barrel made, but that's just the type of levergun I like!
Did anyone mention that the 1876 is really a big rifle?!! :lol: A 30" barrel on one would make a dandy fishing pole for The Arnold! :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva