Which Williams FP is best fit for the Puma 92's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Which Williams FP is best fit for the Puma 92's

Post by AJMD429 »

Williams doesn't list Puma's in their catalog, and the on-line stuff I'm getting doesn't show pictures of the sights; for putting the FP on my Puma .454 Casull, which model is really the right one...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Which Williams FP is best fit for the Puma 92's

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Same as the Win.92 The 94/36 is the one I`d buy. You will need to drill and tap the side to mount it. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What Chuck said ^^^^^^ .

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I went with the Lyman sight on my 454. You will have to have you gun drilled and taped.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try it as a do-it-yourself project. Lots of info on this and other sites, so I'll have to dust off the drill press and find my taps.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FYI - another member here has an XS mounted atop the action side rails, straddling the bolt, which cycles back/forth under the sight.

It was a much neater setup.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:FYI - another member here has an XS mounted atop the action side rails, straddling the bolt, which cycles back/forth under the sight.

I do like those, but would be more comfortable with the side-drilling rather than top just because it seems easier. My Marlins often wear FP's so I do like the sight.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:FYI - another member here has an XS mounted atop the action side rails, straddling the bolt, which cycles back/forth under the sight.

Like this on the 1886 (photo by Brian Pearce)...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try it as a do-it-yourself project. Lots of info on this and other sites, so I'll have to dust off the drill press and find my taps.
Maybe I should bring mine over and we could make a weekend of drilling and tapping. I've got three I need to do and considering my experiences with local gun butchers I'm probably gonna do it myself.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Joe, AJMD
I was also frustated at gunsmithing services so I D+T my 8 mm mauser for a peep, then I did my Win (miroku) mod 92 for a peep. No problems. If I decide to keep my Browning SRC that will be the next rifle under the drill press. Take your time and you'll have no problems.
Karl
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

marlin shooter wrote:Joe, AJMD
I was also frustated at gunsmithing services so I D+T my 8 mm mauser for a peep, then I did my Win (miroku) mod 92 for a peep. No problems. If I decide to keep my Browning SRC that will be the next rifle under the drill press. Take your time and you'll have no problems.
Karl
Karl,
I don't have a drill press or mine would have been done a long time ago. That's why I mentioned to AJMD that we get together and make a day of it.

Joe
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Joe
I wish you were closer I'd tell you to pack em up and c'mon over :)
Karl
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:
marlin shooter wrote:Joe, AJMD
Karl
Karl,
I don't have a drill press or mine would have been done a long time ago. That's why I mentioned to AJMD that we get together and make a day of it.

Joe
By the time you paid for gas to get here you could buy a drill press (at least one like mine). I think I paid $99 or $129 for it at Lowe's. It isn't fancy, but at least it helps me drill straight (most of the time :oops: ).

I know one thing - if you are drilling hard metal get the GOOD drill bits, not the cheap ones. Don't ask me how I know that :oops: .

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

AJMD, Boy, did you post a thread close to home! I originally had my McPherson 454 Puma drilled and tapped for the Lyman 66A. It was a pretty sloppy unit and the piece that holds the aperture moves around a lot. I eventually broke a stud/screw on it due to 454 recoil, and decided to try a Williams with the click-adjustble feature. The Williams does not sit on the same place on the receiver, and I did not want to try to drill/tap new holes, so I had the Willilams sight radiused to clear the rear of the 454 Puma receiver which is wider in the rear. Anyhow, I haven't been all that pleased with that arrangement either. I have decided, based upon Mic McPherson's opinion, to go back to the Lyman. They are not made as tightly as the Williams units, but the rear aperture always settles-in to the same location, and it doesn't seem to hurt accuracy any. The Williams is the better made piece, though, and if I was starting from scratch to drill holes in my receiver, I might go with it. If you are going to switch loads a lot, the Lyman is easier to adjust back to a setting than the Williams.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Tutt,

I have several Lymans and several Williams side mount receiver sights. The Lymans, even the late aluminum ones I have are just as tight as the Williams sights. The only thing they do not have is the lock down screw on the side like the Williams.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, if you got a loose Lyman sight, send it back for repair or replacement.
I got one off eBay that some dufas had drilled the base holes much bigger. On top of that the aperture bar was loose in the base. I sent it back to Lyman telling them exactly how I came to have it, asking them to replace the base and to make sure the unit was tight. I offered to pay what ever it cost. Several weeks later I got the sight back with a new proper fitting base ... at no charge.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429,

My wife's home town is FT Wayne. She's been wanting to take a trip up that way to visit her family.
It takes us three tanks round trip to go from here in Springfield to FT Wayne and back. Indianapolis is sorta on the way.

Joe
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

JMiller, I will bear that in mind for the new Lyman sight as the old one was "less than stellar".

Thanks!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:AJMD429,

My wife's home town is FT Wayne. She's been wanting to take a trip up that way to visit her family.
It takes us three tanks round trip to go from here in Springfield to FT Wayne and back. Indianapolis is sorta on the way.

Joe
We're about 30 miles south of Indy. If you are in the area give me a couple days notice and I'll make sure the drill press isn't buried under barn junk. :oops: