OT - Nilgai sausage dinner

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Nilgai sausage dinner

Post by rjohns94 »

I arrived home last evening to 4 coolers of frozen meat from the august trip to texas. Inside was over 400# of Bison and Nilgai - burger, steaks, sausage, ribs, tenderloins, and backstraps and jerky.

I had to hurry about to shove all that meat into the freezer and take a half cooler to my parents freezer and gave some away to the neighbors that I had promised to. On top of the freezer was some fresh sausage from the nilgai.

I dropped the links into the fry pan on top of some EVO, slow cooking under a lid. after about 15 mins, I cut the two large links in half, added some peppers and a tomatoe from the garden and continued to simmer the links in the rue.

I had some rolls fresh bought and when finished cooking, i filled the sub roll with nilgai and peppers, added some dressing and enjoyed some fine eating. The cold lager was the perfect drink to go along with the sausage. Memories of that beautiful animal and the freindships gained all were brought back with each bite. The smiles and the emotions shared over this beautiful trophy continue. :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Nilgai sausage dinner

Post by alnitak »

Mmm...mmm...good!

My one cooler (your bison was MUCH bigger :D ) came yesterday as well. In putting away the goodies, I left out one package of bison ham steaks. Marinated them in a little wine, Worchester, onion power, garlic salt and pepper. Quick-seared them in a frying pan and shared them with my youngest daughter. Mighty fine!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey, ya'll cut that out. I missed lunch today and am hungry enough without you two making it worse. I bet that is some real good eating. :D
Ricky

DWWC
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

RKrodle wrote:Hey, ya'll cut that out. I missed lunch today and am hungry enough without you two making it worse. I bet that is some real good eating. :D

Yeah! :D
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I should have my Blackbuck next week..this isn't helping the wait.... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

RKrodle wrote:Hey, ya'll cut that out. I missed lunch today and am hungry enough without you two making it worse. I bet that is some real good eating. :D
Same here. Had to do a fasting blood glucose this morning at the doc's. Man, that sounds good...
ImageImageImage
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Pics, where are the pics???
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

do you want pics of the sausage meal or the nilgai
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang nabbit Mike, now I've gone and drooled all over my keyboard again!!! :lol:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

When they make Nilgai sausage, do they have to add fat in the form of fatback or something similar to bring up the fat content? I'm curious as to how it's done with the meat from a lean game animal. Sounds great though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

yes, they add pork to the sausage to give it a bit of fat. Same thing with venison.
Mike Johnson,