SHOT IT TODAY (12/27) -- I crossed over to the Dark-Side...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I crossed over to the Dark-Side...

Post by Streetstar »

7.62 Precision wrote:
Streetstar wrote:The dark side is good too ----- now if only they would chamber an AR in a rimless .45 Colt ! -- Hmmmmmmmm :!:
GUYS!

The .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf are NOT rimless .45 Colts! They are rebated rim .45-70s, .50-90s, etc.

Now THIS is an AR chambered in rimless .45 Colt:

Bingo--- although i was thinking of a bit more zip than an ACP, without the thump of the big boomers, - perhaps a 45acp+p+ of sorts

Wait a sec :idea: Winchester and Rossi have both been making 45 carbines for years with integral 10 round mags! (i just have to work the lever) :lol:
----- Doug
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Streetstar wrote:Bingo--- although i was thinking of a bit more zip than an ACP, without the thump of the big boomers, - perhaps a 45acp+p+ of sorts
You mean like .460 Rowland? No problem.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

7.62 Precision wrote:
Streetstar wrote:Bingo--- although i was thinking of a bit more zip than an ACP, without the thump of the big boomers, - perhaps a 45acp+p+ of sorts
You mean like .460 Rowland? No problem.
Not familiar with that round, but i will look it up :) (Not that i need any more calibers to jerk around with )

------ OK -- just looked it up. --- The proprietary brass is a downer with that one , but you and I have likely both seen what loading SMG spec 9mm in BEretta 92's will do after awhile too :lol:
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: SHOT IT TODAY (12/27) -- I crossed over to the Dark-Side

Post by Griff »

And for the levergun "RIMMED" 45ACP! This project is back underway... I'm having a larger talent than me do the buttplate... when it's done, it's all off to Turnbull along with 2 of my Winch 94 projects!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Re: SHOT IT TODAY (12/27) -- I crossed over to the Dark-Side

Post by Panzercat »

Griff wrote:And for the levergun "RIMMED" 45ACP! This project is back underway... I'm having a larger talent than me do the buttplate... when it's done, it's all off to Turnbull along with 2 of my Winch 94 projects!
Smells like .45 Auto Rim?

The .45 Auto Rim, a.k.a 11.5x23R is a rimmed cartridge specifically designed to be fired in revolvers originally chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge. Remington-Peters developed the cartridge for use in the M1917 revolver, large amounts of which had become available as surplus following the end of the Great War. The M1917 had previously been used with half-moon clips that held three rounds of the rimless .45ACP.[2] If half-moon or moon clips are not used with a rimless cartridge in a revolver, they must be ejected by hand with a rod or field-expedient tool like a pencil. In revolver cylinders not engineered to allow .45ACP to headspace properly, as in early production Colt M1917's, the cartridges could slip forward, stopping them from firing. Adding the rim solved both these issues.[3]

Loads offered were similar to the standard military loads for the .45ACP, but with fully lead bullets rather than the harder alloys used for .45ACP. This was done to reduce barrel wear in the shallow rifled revolvers in which it was to be used. The .45AR case is stronger than the .45ACP case and has a slightly larger case capacity, allowing for increases in performance.[2] It can deliver similar performance to standard pressure loadings in older, dimensionally larger, revolver cartridge designs like .45 Colt.[4]

The round is currently still in production by Corbon in their DPX[5] and Performance Match[6] lines of ammunition and is also manufactured by Georgia Arms.[7]
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.