Opinions Solicited: Why have both? -- 44 Mag Guns All Gone!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Opinions Solicited: Why have both? -- 44 Mag Guns All Gone!

Post by Buffboy »

Noah, after I bought my 454 revolver and carbine, I sold both my 44 mags. I can load the 454s to 44 special levels or beyond 44 mag, whatever my mood is at the time. The 44s just sat, not being used. I usually can't stand that for long, so they both got traded.

Still have dies & components but as a friend has a 44 mag, they are getting whittled away without being replaced.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Opinions Solicited: Why have both, and which one to keep?

Post by JohndeFresno »

shooter wrote:...I have regretted almost every gun I have ever gotten rid of...If you're not hurting for money, or not trying to fund another purchase, I would just hang on to them for a while and see where you stand in a couple months.
Yup.
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

The only responce I can give I got rid of my .44s and I miss em.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

44 for me. I'll use the same ol 44 fan argument. You can shoot 44 special, and find 44 mag just about anywhere.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I've never considered getting rid of any of my revolvers or calibers. I enjoy .22, 38/357, 45 Colt, 45 acp and 44 and I have revolvers for all of them. The guns I have decided to let go are semi-autos. I am a revolver guy and I finally realized it a while back. The semi's just collect dust, especially the plastic ones. Some have already gone and others will follow and they won't be missed, but wheelguns in any caliber will always stay. Each wheelgun and caliber has characteristics I enjoy for their intended purpose from plinking to moose busting. Personally I would keep both the .44's and .45's and enjoy them for their differences and their similarities.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Noah Zark,
I was just browsing the threads and came across yours. Looks like you now have things well in hand. :D
The .44 Magnum is a great cartridge but, as we know, the .45 Colt in a strong gun will do anything the .44 will do and a bit more. I have settled into the .45 Colt camp long ago, but do have a couple of .44-40's...both rifles.

Because the .44 W.C.F. / .44-40 was the first Winchester center fire cartridge, I'll be hanging on to those for many years to come......

Hope to see you at the RRC in 2010. The new NRA Cowboy Silhouette range they are putting in will add certainly add more to the allure.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

w30wcf wrote:Noah Zark,
I was just browsing the threads and came across yours. Looks like you now have things well in hand. :D
The .44 Magnum is a great cartridge but, as we know, the .45 Colt in a strong gun will do anything the .44 will do and a bit more. I have settled into the .45 Colt camp long ago, but do have a couple of .44-40's...both rifles.

Because the .44 W.C.F. / .44-40 was the first Winchester center fire cartridge, I'll be hanging on to those for many years to come......

Hope to see you at the RRC in 2010. The new NRA Cowboy Silhouette range they are putting in will add certainly add more to the allure.

w30wcf

John:

Good to hear from you! I hope that all is well in your camp this spring.

Since I had started to load the 45 Colt up and I was loading the 44 Magnum down and ended up in the same spot, it made sense (and still makes sense) to shed the 44s. I've gotten rid of everything except the 44 Mag dies for the Dillon SDB, and truth be told, I haven't given the recently departed 44 Mag guns a second thought until reading the new posts in this thread.

If you're coming down this way, PM me and I'll meet you at the club.

Best,

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Doc Hudson wrote: #1 - There are .44 Fanatics, and .45 Fanatics. Most folks prefer one or the other, no really good reason for the preference.
Doc, sure there's a reason.
Clint Eastwood shot this one in that movie, and he shot that one in this movie - it all comes down to your favorite Clint Eastwood movie. :mrgreen:
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

bulldog1935 wrote:
Doc Hudson wrote: #1 - There are .44 Fanatics, and .45 Fanatics. Most folks prefer one or the other, no really good reason for the preference.
Doc, sure there's a reason.
Clint Eastwood shot this one in that movie, and he shot that one in this movie - it all comes down to your favorite Clint Eastwood movie. :mrgreen:

Don't forget the effects of testosterone poisoning . . .

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
B-92 Steven
Levergunner

Post by B-92 Steven »

And I thought lead could kill a person ...