Prettiest levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Prettiest levergun

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Hey Pharmseller - :P :P :P :P :P :P

Actually I've taken the Buckhorn off of mine too. I have receiver sights on all my winchesters.

8)
Last edited by Pathfinder09 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Ok, I'm the odd man out: I like the '81 Marlin (light frame) and the Savage 99 (early models).

Of those actions still in production, it's hard not to like a '92 Win., but the '73 with a color case frame and a 26" half octagon barrel over a half magazine would be nice to have made up.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Here's the little lady's Ltd. 357 mag with a stainless convexed Trailmaster Bowie. I polished the receiver for her last December, but haven't polished the knife yet...

...I think it's purty cute, but more importantly...she LIKES it!!! :D
Last edited by Stump Buster on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

For me it would have to have the S curve pistol grip

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

It is very hard to decide. I know it's a winchester, but beyond that it gets foggy.

The 1886/71 platform, in just about any configuration is probably at the top of the list:

I'm particular fond of 1/2 octagon barrels, and most of my Winchesters seem to sport 1/2 or 2/3 mags, so I guess I must have a fondness for those too. This is what I consider my "Prettiest Levergun":

I also like the 1894, in either OBFMCB with a vintage tang sight, or the lightweight takedowns that became a bit more popular in the teens and 20s.

Also high on the list is the race-car-like lines of the 28" thin-barrelled 1895s in 30-40 or 303 Brit. Mine sports the prettiest wood of all my Winchesters (but it's not the original wood :( ):

All in all, my vote goes to the 1/2 oct, 1/2 mag 1886, Deluxe checkered PG, set trigger, takedown, standard weight 22 inch barrel. Anyone have one I can buy.....for cheap :?: :wink:
Last edited by 71fan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

surveyor527 wrote:
pokey wrote:this one, :D

That is one pretty piece of steel & walnut! But........ain't that buckhorn sight in the way of things? I've shot an old M94 with a Lyman peep for years, and had to take the buckhorn off right away. Kind of like trying to walk with a third leg, or something.

specialollie1.JPG
sprecialollie3.JPG
it's an experiment, i have removed the barrel sights from the other rifles
that wear peeps, i'm trying the third leg thing for a while just to see what
happens. i'm a little contrary some days.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

As many of you know, I'm almost exclusively a Winchester man when it comes to leverguns. My "prettiest levergun" might well have been one of two Winchester Deluxe 1895s I had but sold to other Forum Levergunners. When I see them pictured on this thread (especially the .405) I almost get little twinges of sellers remorse!!! :o :o :o No, seriously, I'm really glad you guys have them! :D :D :D

My "prettiest levergun" then probably was my original 1936 Winchester Model 71 pictured in the middle below.

However, now I honestly have to say my "prettiest levergun" is not a Winchester at all, but any one of several Sako Finnwolfs I recently have acquired from the 1960s. The blue is unbelievably deep and dark, the fit and finish is nothing like you ever see on a Winchester, and their accuracy rivals that of any sporting rifle in the world. I wish the photo were better, but here are 2 of my Finnwolfs...the prettiest leverguns I own!

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I like 1/2 Octagon bbls, too. This 1907 vintage 1886 LWTD .38-56 WCF Model 1886 is something that you don't see every day. Not in the best of shape, but not bad for a 102 yr old hunter. No safe queen this, just another old gun to drag about the woods.
38-56 TD.jpg
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

mod71alaska wrote:However, now I honestly have to say my "prettiest levergun" is not a Winchester at all, but any one of several Sako Finnwolfs I recently have acquired from the 1960s. The blue is unbelievably deep and dark, the fit and finish is nothing like you ever see on a Winchester, and their accuracy rivals that of any sporting rifle in the world. I wish the photo were better, but here are 2 of my Finnwolfs...the prettiest leverguns I own!
Nice. I wish there were more of those around and in more chamberings. Beautiful guns.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Griff wrote:You guys all came close with your selections... but your opinions are of no consequence; for there is only one
Prettiest Levergun:

1860 Henry, classic octagon barrel, sculpted stock and just plain ol' attitude that sez, "HEY, take me... I can do it!"

I was going to describe exactly the same rifle, but your picture does it so much better :D

Ed
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

Now you guys said pretty.... So my vote is for the hi grade brownings all models!

favorite browning model 65 218 Bee hi grade man is that one slick gun.

^
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My vote goes for the 1894 or 1893 Marlins in deluxe pistol grip configuration. Love the lines, the shape of the bottom of the PG stock, and the look of the classic Marlin deluxes.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Lever actions are like ladies. Ain't none ugly, some are just purtier. As for my vote, I have to go with my very own Marlin 1894SS. Although I try not to, it has aquired a few scratches and is showing honest wear that comes from me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

C. Cash wrote:Just stuck on the Big Bores I guess. What appeals to me is they are variations on a classic theme. They're 94's, but have the "bull" barrel giving it a little beefier look and feel, as do the pregnant side walls. Yet when you handle them, they feel as slim, trim and balanced as a standard 94 Win. The added power in 356 Win., with not much more recoil, is just icing on the cake. Please excuse the gun bench.....it was having a bad hair day.

add a saddle ring, a saddle ring forearm and buttstock and you got PERFECTION!!!!!
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

A shortened Marlin 1894 .44 Mag, walnut and stainless with peeps. Good for workin with, keeps around easy.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Tman,

Here is Warhawk's Big Bore in 444 Marlin that I bought off him. Still has the rebounding hammer but that should change in the near future. It now wears a Williams FP.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hoosierdaddy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hoosierdaddy »

My favorite has to be the Model 73 Winchester. Here's a picture of one of mine in 32-20. Shoots better than it looks.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/ ... CN4607.jpg
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Like a lot of other fellas here I prefer the Winchester '73. They just have that "classy but ready for hard use" look to them that few other (IMO) rifles can manage. I only have a copy of the real thing,A Cimarron but it's slick actioned and a blast to shoot. If I ever win the lottery an honest to Betsy Winchester '73 in .38-40 is the first thing I'd buy. :)
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Look at a picture of the Bullard.

Of course a Bullard fan probably favors long-legged women too.

P.S. Honey if you see this..we are just talkin hypothetically here. :P
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

You're entitled to any opinion. But to my eyeballs, the original 94 with rifle length barrel is quite a beauty!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

TR,
B E A U T Y ! ! ! ! ! ! !

:mrgreen: