OK, Pretend it's 1939, and you have to choose a rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
billyk338
Levergunner

Re: OK, Pretend it's 1939, and you have to choose a rifle

Post by billyk338 »

Ok I'll be the odd ball.I'll take a Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington :D
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

My 94 38/55 rifle and my #10 tool. Shoot everything from mouse to moose from 36 rb to 275 grain bullet.
flatfender
Levergunner

Post by flatfender »

Gooblerforge - I think Bogus Bill is on to something, I believe that is a whistlepig (marmot).

If sheep herding was the intent, I think the budget might get strained rather easily, so for a rifle it would be a Savage model 19 in 22 hornet as long as Bears weren't a problem, If bears were a problem, I would strain the budget a bit and try to find a 2nd hand 1886 in 33 wcf.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OJ wrote:I don't have to pretend - in 1939 my favorite rifle was a well used Winchester 94 in Winchester .32 Special.
My hat is off to you sir. I always did respect the man who has "been there and done that" while the rest of us fantasize, "and can only wish"----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Whatr bout the 44Evans New Model, I think they still made that ammo in the 30's... 26 shots before a reload...
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Sixgun wrote:
OJ wrote:I don't have to pretend - in 1939 my favorite rifle was a well used Winchester 94 in Winchester .32 Special.
My hat is off to you sir. I always did respect the man who has "been there and done that" while the rest of us fantasize, "and can only wish"----------Sixgun
Thanks, Sixgun - I don't have a pic of me with that '94 but here I was in about 1934 with the .22 single shot rifle I got for my sixth birthday in 1932 and my "trophies" I bagged that day -

I was encouraged the other day to hear a song about the singer saying he wished he was 80 again - I could identify with that - then I realized he was wishing he was eighteen again - oh well, I'm just glad to still be here and making my weekly (correct spelling - not weakly) trips to the range to shoot my lever guns and Colt Government Model 45 pistols.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:
I wish he'd tell that story about walking on the floor of the Red Sea.........
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

what could I afford?.... maybe a Krag Jorgenson in .30 govt? A carbine. Wincesters bring pretty good money back then... Krags were cheap surplus and the round is potent enough for what we have in mind.

I will pick my working partner...thank you very much.... especially if we are gonna work anyplace near Brokeback mountain.

J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
huntershooter
Levergunner

Post by huntershooter »

'39/high country/sheep- possibility of griz would lead me to the '71 Winchester.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

M94 Winchester 30-30. Thats what all the mutton conductors around here (Wyoming) are still using! In 1939 there were a few grizzlies left down our way but darn few. I used to shoe horses for a few sheep outfits and got to visit with some of the old guys who'd been herding sheep since the 30's. They had a lot of problems with black bears in the high country. Sometimes moreso than with coyotes. The main problem was typically coyotes though. I would have to have at least a 30-30. The trapper or carbine would be nicer to pack with the flat side of the M94 Winchester being the most comfortable under you leg.
That critter in the picture is not a marmot. It still looks like a muskrat to me. We have them around here too (WY, CO,UT).
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Winchester model 1894 .38-55.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Ohhhh I like this one....Bolt Action, A Sedgley 1903a3 sporterized w/ a Lyman 48 Peep. Lever Action, A Marlin Model 1895 Takedown, Pistol grip, Octagon Barrel in 33WCF or 45-70. Ahhh those must have been heady times......Thanks, Tom :mrgreen:
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

I'm feelin a Marlin 93 or 36 in .30 WCF, no longer than carbine length.
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

I couldn't pass this one up! Savage 99 TD in .300 savage with the extra 410 Barrel. He were are dreaming right? If not that then my uncles old 25/35 rifle with a good reciever site. He could clock things way out there with his. I do believe that when Grampa was herding sheep he carried a sixgun with a winchester in the same caliber although no one agrees as to what caliber since he and uncle were both the experimenter types and bought the newest and bestest as they could!
Everyday is a learning day!
Pain is good, pain is our friend, pain is the ONE TRUE constant in a changing world! Sargent David L. Meyers gone but not forgotten.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

With in reach of a sheep herder's budgets either a used Winnie 94 SRC in 30-30 or a surplus Krag 30 US gov. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

Interesting thread, I had an experience like that in about 1956. Back in the wilderness of the White River country in Colo. Back then 4 wheel drives were rare but uncle had one. Camped the first night and this old sheepherder rides up on his horse and had coffee with us. He was a tough hombre for sure, loved every minute of it. I was 15 and really into guns so I asked him what he had, Savage 99 in .300. He showed it to me, was beat up, no blue left but to me it was the most beautiful gun I had ever seen. True story, remember it like it was yesterday.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Wes wrote:M94 Winchester 30-30. Thats what all the mutton conductors around here (Wyoming) are still using! In 1939 there were a few grizzlies left down our way but darn few. I used to shoe horses for a few sheep outfits and got to visit with some of the old guys who'd been herding sheep since the 30's. They had a lot of problems with black bears in the high country. Sometimes moreso than with coyotes. The main problem was typically coyotes though. I would have to have at least a 30-30. The trapper or carbine would be nicer to pack with the flat side of the M94 Winchester being the most comfortable under you leg.
That critter in the picture is not a marmot. It still looks like a muskrat to me. We have them around here too (WY, CO,UT).

Yup, even the cow pushers used the 30/30. Most of them keep their rifles in the supply wagon to cut weight on the horse, to keep them cleaner and eliminate the saddle scabbard that could be uncomfortable. Depending on the time of year, my mom's brother would go to the high country cow camp to make sure the water holes were open before moving the cattle. His favorite was a Win. 94 in 32 spec. Whatever the caliber, the Win. 94 was a popular choice. Back in the early 1960's I used to spend the summer at the mountain cow camp, watching the cows and cutting wood for a firewood business we had. Would have gone crazy without the 30/30 and my single shot .22 to keep me company and to feel safe. Just to be clear, anyone who could afford it also had a short gun, or at least that is what I have been told by several old sod busters and cowboys.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"I really would like to know what he is holding though if anyone knows."

Looks like a fairly large pack rat to me. Can't see the fluff on the tip of the tail, but otherwise looks like a pack rat. Tail is too long for a marmot. It does look like a muskrat, but all I've seen were wet, this guy looks dry.

Back OT, a 71, or 94 carbine, or '06 bolt sporter ('03 Springfield or Winchester) would work fine.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Lastmohecken wrote:Got bored and thought this might be fun. Pretend it's 1939, and you just landed a summer job, watching over a herd of sheep, in the high country. You will be horse back, and you will be gone all summer, without the luxury of resupply, everything will be carried on your horse, or in the one wagon your partner is driving, with the exception of maybe a pack animal or two, and your dogs or course.

You're going to need a rifle, or at least you sure as heck ain't gonna leave without one, but at least you're lucky enough to be able to buy about any resonably priced rifle you want. But that's it. No pistol, no reloading supplys, just your rifle a few boxes of shells. You figure you might need to shoot a wolf or two, and maybe some fresh game on occasion, to supliment the beans, coffee, and other supplys in wagon.

What are you going to choose, that's available in 1939? And remember you have to pack it on your horse, or leave it in the wagon, and it's got to stand the hard knocks of an extended stay in the high country.

For me I believe my choice would be a Winchester model 94, in 30/30 with the stock open sights, and the standard 20 inch barrel, along with a good saddle scabbord of course.
Yep, probably a Winchester '94, 20" barrel, in a good scabbard. I would prefer a receiver sight, myself. Knowing what I know now, and taking that knowledge back in time, I would also fashion some sort of sling for use on foot.

Oh, BTW, you didn't say "no shotguns!" Every outfit needs a shotgun in the wagon. I like the Winchester 1897.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I realize this is a pistol but, it's also a shotgun .410 H&R Handy Gun given to me as a gift in 1933. The following year the NFA was passed supposedly aimed at limiting ownership of "Tommy Guns" but the ATF, as any government agency does, tacked on a lot of other guns and I had to register it with a $200 (depression day dollars) fee - most expensive gift I ever got. :roll:

I had to list my reason for owning such an "outlawed weapon" - I said I was a gun collector. I was almost eight years old.

The BATFE (now) has refused to "delist" it and if found possessing one not registered - even though they did agree to relist it as a "Curio & Relic" - the fine is $10,000 - and there is no legal way to register it at any price. We should be thankful we don't have more government than we have.

PS - I thought I saw a shotgun post but now I can't find it - didn't mean to do wrong.

:mrgreen: :twisted:
Last edited by OJ on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I think the original 92 in 44-40

Image..Image
Image......Image