SoCal LvrGunr Fam Reunion, March 15-16th, UPDATED 3/17/08

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt, 45-70 is not in the current plan - 22LR, 30-30, and 357 is what I am looking at - that could change as could the weather - hope it is better than what we have had lately.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Cowboy
Thanks, I have to be at work by 3PM Sunday, so that would make it too tight for me.

JR
Thanks will keep my eyes open for ya.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I am hard to miss 6'2" goofy looking with glasses. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Final approval of the patch today!
Hope you guys like it!

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I like it :D
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I really like that as well. Looking forward to picking mine up!
Well done is better than well said.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

My wife is coming along after all. I hope I can get ammo loaded and ready.

We have a good friend with advanced cancer. He is a fellow hunter, silhouette shooter and levergunner.
He used to be top gun in the levergun silhouette matches. He went into the hospital in bad shape last week.
He has improved a lot but we don't know what is in store. He was treated a couple years ago and kept a good attitude through it all.
He is pretty depressed now and we have spent a lot of time with him trying to cheer him up and also take care of his bills, banking, etc.
It is wearing me out!

If I have this straight, the silhouette match is on Sunday and that is when the main event for us levergunners will be? What time should we be there to shoot the match?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Marc, sorry to hear about your friend. Hope you can all hang in there.

Sunday the silhouette match runs from 9:30 to about 1:00, then it's open shoot for the Levergunners. We can then shoot until sundown.

Some may not want to participate in the silhouette match and shoot at the other range instead. I may do a little of both.

For our open shoot I plan to set up various plinking targets, plus we can keep some silhouette targets out. I have my life-sized cardboard deer silhouette to set up!

I'm still not sure if there's going to be an extra fee for the silhouette match itself, but the $7.00 fee will cover the long range area and the LASC range after the match. His normal fee is $10.00 for three matches, but he's thinking about whether or not to charge us.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Probably not going to be able to attend. Yesterday we learned that our friend has only a few weeks to live. He is coming to our house today to finish his time here. The alternative was to let him be sent to a nursing home that would probably be many miles from here. Here he will be with friends.

Maybe we will be able to attend the second annual Socal levergunners reunion. You all have a good time and have a glass for Ron!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Marc, sorry to hear about your friend, that's tough. It's great that you're bringing him into your home. Sorry also you're going to miss the get-together. But I'm sure we'll have pics and such.

Take care and thanks for the hunting advice.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Marc sorry to hear about your friend. Thats a heck of a Christian thing to bring him to your home. Instead of leaving him with strangers. We will miss you.

BSArider that is an awesome patch.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is one I will be bringing - Marlin 357 Cowboy with Leupold 4x compact. Purchased the scope from Azoil recently. Sweet little package. handles very nicely. :) Wanted to sight this in today but 30 mph winds prevented the range from giving out paper targets. :(

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I heard about all the wind you had up there. You guys were even on the news you all had a truck blow over yesterday.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

March, very sorry to hear about your friend, but glad you are taking him in. Your doing the right thing, and we support you in that.

BSA, the patch is so cool, thanks!

So, it sounds like everything is pretty well set-up? Sobenk, it occured to me that a couple of guests I have coming might want to "hang-out" with us in the clubhouse after dinner, but not stay the night (back the following day). Will they be able to leave if they did, or will they be locked in? Can you arrange something so they can come with us to the clubhouse maybe?

-Tutt
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Nice patch!! I like it.

Things are looking good on my end. My plan is to attend with both my older boys on Saturday afternoon and visit with whoever is there, then on to dinner. I don't anticipate shooting too much, but probably a little show and tell. I'll stay at my brother's house in Glendale Saturday evening.

Sunday I'll have my oldest son (Aiden - 5) and my brother with. Aiden has never fired a firearm and probably won't. My brother isn't a levergunner, but he will be after March 16 if Jonathan and I have anything to say about it.

I need details /advice about the silhouette shoot. I know nothing. Rest or offhand? Number of shots? Practice shooting? Can we shoot more than one rifle? Is a Winchester 1895 OK, or should there be a mag tube? I guess I'll try to find some NRA rules somewhere.

It's getting close :D :D
Chad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

The gate will be open all night so we can come and go. Just have to make sure they don't lock it when they leave at 6, but I should have the combination to it anyway.

About the silhouette match, the rules aren't always followed to the letter. Eventually I may shoot with my scoped rifle set at 1x. My only concern with a Win 95 is not to put holes in the targets. If you're loading down to 30-30 level it's all right.

Shooting is offhand, most shooters brace their elbow against their belly and prop the rifle on the thumb and forefinger. The targets aren't THAT small, the key is to be consistent. There's about a half hour of practice before the match for sighting and confidence purposes.

There is actually enough time for three matches, the idea is to shoot all 3 cowboy categories, rifle cartridge, pistol cartridge, and smallbore. Or you can shoot two and take a break. Last year I shot smallbore nearly all the time.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Great. That's the info I needed. I've got the small bore and rifle covered, but I need a receiver sight for my 44. Off to Ebay....
Chad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

One week to go. I cant wait :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Yeah baby!! So far so good...
Chad
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Are any of the wives coming? I invited mine but I know she doesn't want to be the only one.

Where do I get the map to the range?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

For a map, check page 6 of this thread. There's a link to the range's site and instructions.

Since Marc's not coming, I think there's no wives, but there are some daughters. I have lost track.

Tell her there will be women there, so she'll come.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

...and some really cute little guys.... :)
Chad
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Chad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Marines are amphibious. :wink:
My wife wont be there but my kids will.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Hey if any of you want the Marine Corps manuals for rifle and pistol marksmanship bring a thumbdrive. I will bring my lap top and hook you up file size is about 17M but it is lots of material in pdf format.

P.S. 4 days and counting :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hmm. I'm puzzled why I don't get reply notifications on this one thread. Anyhow, playing catch-up here. Sounds like those of us camping should prepare for possible rain Saturday night and Sunday. Could be windy up there, so bring some bricks or something to weigh your tent down on the concrete pads that most of us will be using.

It was suggested to me that those of us camping Saturday night "reserve" some range spots next to each other by leaving equipment on them before 9am Sunday (opening time) so we can stay together. Maybe we can make a determination of who wants to do what Saturday night.

I will have to leave no later than 3pm Sunday for the long drive home. Just looking forward to meeting everyone and doing a little shooting.

Jeremy, will try to remember to bring my memory chip. I would like a copy of those manuals.

-Tutt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Just checked the weather for the local area (Pacoima, CA) and it looks like a little rain Saturday afternoon and through Sunday morning. It will be chilly at night. However, Prof. Boomer assures me the shooting spots are very well covered for shooting purposes and it shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... oima%2C+CA

-Tutt
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

For those shooting the silhouette match, there's no reserving spots, because the lanes you shoot from are dependent on the target lanes. Those shooting long range go left, smallbore right, etc.

Anyone wanting to shoot down at the public range, the 600 yard one, can do so, but there's no reserving unless you just get there early. Sunday is a busy day there, too. If people want to go down there that's already splitting up the group. In the afternoon, the whole silhouette range is ours to set up cans, knock down rams, whatever. Anyone got one of those remote controlled cars? Maybe it could tow a balloon.

I'm expecting to meet people and look at guns as much as shoot. In fact, I may only get to shoot my .22, because I don't think I'll have time to do any reloading this week, which is already half over.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sobenk, thanks for clearing that up. My smallest caliber is 358 Winchester which I think is too large for the silhouette match. I will probably be at the 600 yard public range early Sunday morning, and can reserve a couple of spots next to me. I need long range practice before I hit the Billy Dixon Ultra Long Range Shooting Facility the following week in CO!

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Tutt I will be right there next to you with my enfield and my 308.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I plan to be on the silouette range most of the time.

Sobenk,
Is there any particular attire for the levergun silouette shoots (ie. SASS garb)? Or just come as you are?
Chad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

We don't dress up for the silhouette matches, but you'll want to look spiffy for the group picture...
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

sobenk wrote:We don't dress up for the silhouette matches, but you'll want to look spiffy for the group picture...
Darn I was planning on wearing ripped up jeans and an oil stained T shirt :wink: :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

sobenk wrote:For a map, check page 6 of this thread. There's a link to the range's site and instructions.

Since Marc's not coming, I think there's no wives, but there are some daughters. I have lost track.

Tell her there will be women there, so she'll come.

Well it's a non issue (for her) now, as she remembered a prior commitmnet, but I will be there for sure.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I will be digging out the camping gear tomorrow.
No idea what shape any of it is in, some has been
loaned out over the past 10 years I haven't been using it.

So I'm guessing that I need to pack some blocks to
tye the tent to. Can I bring a stove? Need my morning
pot of coffee! I'm sure I will forget something, always
do.

I'm also going to bring odds and ends of reloading
gear that I have no use for, inherited a bunch of stuff,
that will go to the lowest bidder, lol.

Not sure what time I will show on Saturday, but I will
be the one wearing the hat with the PATCH on it!

BTW, bro brought home a ~21ft trailer that we don't
have time to clean up but it will be nice to use on the
next trip.

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

BSA, I was just going to have breakfast at the cafe where we are having dinner. A lot less work. If you have cinder blocks to tie the corners of your tent too, that would be a good idea. There is a road nearby I was told that is dirt and will allow tent stakes as another alternative.

-Tutt
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Good idea, count me in for breakfast!
KI6WZU
NRA member

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I was thinking that would be the simplest also.
Hey Andy I hope your Mauser is ready just cleaned up the enfield debating if I want to put the wood back on or not.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I'm just coming for Sat, what's the earliest I should show up?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I would say no earlier than 2pm. I'll be there by 3pm, and Jeremy should arrive about when I do or a little later I think.

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Handi I just got off the phone with Tutt he and I will be there between 2-3pm.

Are you still bringing your Handi scope project?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I will be there early, just to watch some of the matches around noon to one pm. I didn't think about this before, but are we posting our own targets? Need to pick some up if we are.
KI6WZU
NRA member

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Did someone say 303 Brit :D I guess I'd better throw mine in the "TO GO" pile.

It is VERY difficult deciding what is going and what is being left behind. I wish I could bring all my levers, and sixguns, and single shots...

I'm still dialed in for 3-ish on Saturday with my boys.
Chad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I was hoping you would bring yours. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Weather says low 40s to mid 50s 20-25% chance of rain Sat, 10% Sunday.

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

:D :D Looks good Fred.

Loading up the car right now to head up to the inlaws tonight so I can head out to the range tomorow. So many guns so little trunk space.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I was wondering if the inclimate weather would forestall the gathering. Appears it is on. I would hate to drive 300 miles roundtrip and be the only Lever gunner. Barring unforeseen circumstances I plan on being up with my Win 1895 405 which was just this evening rescued from 10 days in California pergatory.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Rain or shine, I'll be there. If it's pouring I might not shoot, but I'll be there.

Seems most of you will be there bout 2 so I'll try to be a bit early, to have a look see.

I plan on bringing my Winchester 66 centenial, and maybe my Handi rifle Target model 38-55 with the dixie scope on board. It's not zeroed yet, but will do that if I can tomorrow.

See ya there :D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Suddenly it's a bit nippy in the valley, I'm sure it's the same in the mountains, so bring an extra sweater.

As far as the weather keeping people away, I doubt that applies to anybody here. I'll be there about 2 pm. We'll have to fire up the stove in the clubhouse in the evening, it looks like.

See y'all there
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

sobenk wrote:Suddenly it's a bit nippy in the valley
Hey, watch them "nippy" comments! :shock: :x :lol: