winchester 94 Side Mount

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

winchester 94 Side Mount

Post by junkbug »

Here are a few photos of my '47 flat-band 94 side mount carbine. My first picture posting attempt. We will see if it works.

I just may pay a gunsmith to bore sight it, as opposes to buying a bore sighting tool that may see very little use.

Sean
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: winchester 94 Side Mount

Post by cshold »

Hey Sean,
Nice 94 yea got there. :)
I was able to get my side mount scope on my 94 set very close by
using the iron sights. I have a Weaver K3 widefield. (no end bell)
I set the rifle up in a gun cradle good and secure on the bench.
Lined it up with the iron sights at 25 yrds with the open sights.
Then very carefully looking through the scope adjusted the cross hairs
to the center of the target.
I was able to get within three rings of the bull first shot by doing this.
With a side mount and the right scope there is that nice advantage of
using the scope or open sights. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

junkbug,

Please forgive my attitude about scopes on lever guns, but I hope you have a Doctors written excuse for that scope. I sure as heck wouldn't have put a scope on an old carbine like that. Look at the wear on that receiver from being carried over the years. Sure can't do that now.

Was it already drilled and tapped for that mount?

J :cry: e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Come on J!!! :P
They are removable.
Believe it or not some of us like to scope "our" rifles.
Love yea man :wink:
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I got that rifle for a very reasonable price about a year or so ago just because it had that mount on it, and the four holes drilled into its side.

Once I took the mounting plate off. The blue was in much better shape where it had been protected under the plate.

That mount has been on that rifle for a long time. The scope is also an older vintage steel tube El Paso Weaver K-4. It shows no evidence of ever being monted on a different rifle. The optics are still reasonably clear.

To me it seems that rig was put together when post WW-II Winchesters, especially flat bands, had no special value.

It carries suprisingly well in the hand, despite the scope. You can even lean the scope against your wrist (right handed) to take some weight off your fingers.

It is awkward to shoot, at least for now. I would like to find a cast load for it that prints close to factory Rem. 170's, so I can practice with it alot. Then it won't feel so awkward.

Sean
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sean,

You're right about them having been done a long time ago when the guns had no special value.

It's just me, and my feelings towards scopes and lever guns in general. If it works for you that's the important point.

I guess I should ask: So how does it shoot?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Scoping has enabled me to shoot closer to the capability of my rifles. I resisted for a long time but my eyes (right eye in particular) just aren't up to the job - :(
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for posting - I wondered what 47s looked like.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Junkbug,
That be cool. (ebonics) I am a lefty and had a Canadian Centennial D&T back in '72 for a side mount. I liked it so much I had a 1886 Winchester in 33 WCF D&T in '76. Probably killed 30 deer with it until one day I got sick of the scope and took it off. I also got sick on how much value I lost on the rifle by D&T'ing it. But thats another story.

Because of the top ejection, I had to turn the scope over because the empty cases were hitting the adjusting knob, so if I remember right, left was up and down was right or something like that. You may or may not have that problem.

Enjoy your rifle and when you are tired of it, just plop some headless screws in the holes. :D --------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If you sight it at 100 yds it will only be whatever the offset is at 200 to the other side if it is right on - no problem.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

In days of yore I installed side mount scopes on dozens of Winchesters just like that one. I also installed Weaver Tip-Off side mounts on Marlins so you could still use the open sights in an emergency. Please don't hate me. And, yes, do align the sight parallel to the bore if you wish. Although aiming the cross hairs to point of impact at 100 yards still keeps you on the target at normal (75- 150 yards) shooting ranges.