New hunting rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

New hunting rifle.

Post by EG73 »

Well, I went modern.

Wanted a Jack of all trades for Australia rifle that I didn’t have to worry too much about dings etc or finding a load for.

Today I purchased…a howa 1500. Blued with the green hogue stock in .30-06. Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. Came with a bipod on the front - don’t know how much use that’ll get. May be handy in goat areas with lots of rests.
Or maybe just for sighting it in? Ha!

Should be able to pick it up January some time.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: New hunting rifle.

Post by AJMD429 »

.ooh need pictures...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve heard nothing but good things about those rifles.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!

Can't go wrong with the old '06!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

My Weatherby "Back Country" rifle (6.5) is made by Howa and it shoots pinwheels, when I do my part.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

No need to vouch for the 06, everyone knows its probably the most versatile cartridge in existence especially if you reload. I've got 2 and if I had to settle for one rifle I own it would be my Tikka 30-06, yes even instead my 30-30's which I love!
As far as the Howa, never owned one, but in past 5 years, 2 different knowledgeable gunshop dealers, tried to steer me to a Howa, not for the sale, but because they knew me, and wanted me to own a quality accurate rifle, when I was considering another 06, they wouldn't have done that by just word of mouth!
I believe you've got a winner!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I love the '06 caliber and also heard that Howas are excellent rifles. If you reload, you've got a very versatile caliber there as you can load bullets from 110grn all the way up to 225grn with load data available on Hodgdon's site.

I've tried 150, 165, 168, 175 and 180grn bullets in my Model 70 Winchester in the past and I recently loaded up some 125grn bullets using W760 (producing over 3,100fps) and then TAC (producing over 3,300fps) both with great accuracy.

I'm thinking of giving those with TAC a go in Wyoming on some pronghorns on a friend's ranch up there as he's under 4 hour's drive from my place.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

It’s about as vanilla and soulless as can be for a rifle but as you guys said they’re meant to be: accurate, reliable, strong, affordable. Everything one can ask for. Plus the sheer variety of cartridges and modifications you can get for them! I can go out and buy (affordably!) a new bottom metal piece and magazine and suddenly I can use 10 round detachable magazines, it’s incredible! I’m curious if the 7.62x39 magazines would take .50 Beowulf or if they’re single stack.. be a fun gun, they do make mini actions.. :shock:

Edit to add: yes I had to go 30-06 as I wanted a “1 gun for all” rifle for this country (rabbits to buff). And it would do for the USA also, really. Truly a great round.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

EG73 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:24 pm

Edit to add: yes I had to go 30-06 as I wanted a “1 gun for all” rifle for this country (rabbits to buff). And it would do for the USA also, really. Truly a great round.
I’ve had several of the Weatherby Vanguards to include a nice wood stocked version in ‘06.

Good shooters all of them. (Except the .300 Weatherby kicks like a mule with an attitude problem until I had the barrel threaded and a brake installed).

Cheers to the new rifle and I hope it serves you well
----- Doug
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

You picked the right cartridge for a "Jack of all trades". I had a Savage 110 30-06 that I killed several whitetail, hogs and coyote with it.
It was/is a very accurate rifle with Hornady 150 gr. SST and 57 grain H4350. Every time you pull the trigger something dies! :D
I gave it to my son and he has bagged several white tails and a black bear with it and the same loads. I would like to have another,
but I have a bunch of (more exciting and challenging) levers that would be jealous.

I bet you will be glad you bought it.

JBowen
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

An elderly friend who worked for the DEA and has ranched in Texas and Idaho and hunted Africa many times says his favorite do-everything load is the 200-grain Nosler Partition at about 2700 out of an '06. I certainly defer to his vast experience. Howa makes a fine rifle.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

Finally got it sighted in. First group after at 100m with Remington 150gr corelokts.

EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

I just realised also totally forgot to post pics of rifle.
This is the package as it came. Bipod and a bushnell 3-9x40 scope.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice group and a looks like a nicely made rifle. It's hard to beat the .30-'06, I've knocked off a pile of white tail, a couple of boar and countless varmints with my various '06s. When I had my little farm, grandpa's Springfield was always the "Go to" when something needed to be put down.

Have fun and go shoot something! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Great shooting, especially with factory CL's! I've got 5/8" a number of times with my Tikka, but with my reloads. I've shot a lot of Rem Fact CL in it, but they're usually 1-1.5" @ 100yds. I just finished reloading some Speer 165gHC over H4350 & A4064 to try in it, having been shooting 150g HC over A4064. But you got a real hunting rifle in that Howa!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

EG73 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:43 am Finally got it sighted in. First group after at 100m with Remington 150gr corelokts.

There’s nothing wrong with that at all!
----- Doug
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Howa has a great reputation for good reason. They use the reliable Mauser 98 style action, with a strong extractor. Howa also have a 3 position safety so you can unload the magazine without having to switch the safety off. Yours appears to have the HS Precision Kevlar stock, which is in my opinion the finest aftermarket stock available for a hunting rifle. Great purchase!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The 30-06 is a great cartridge. You can take a lot ot different game with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost