Percussion Colt or percussion Adams?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Percussion Colt or percussion Adams?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

In the early 1850s, there was a keen competition between Sam Colt and Robert Adams to capture the imagination --and contracts -- of the British military. Colt's American revolvers were of course single-action and intended to be used accurately and at times out to near rifle distances. Adams' revolvers were what we now call double action but were then called "trigger-action"; just pull the trigger as rapidly as you need to shoot in close-quarters combat. There was considerable debate on the two different design approaches, but at least one officer who fought in the Crimean War came down solidly on the side of the Adams. I can scarcely blame him!
crimeaadams.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Re: Percussion Colt or percussion Adams?

Post by barbarossa »

ARSA in Spain now makes a replica BP Adam’s revolver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Colt is much more comfortable to shoot.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The weak point on the adams revolver was the loading lever ,they are not as robust as the colt and remington
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Barbarossa, I have been following the ARSA reproduction's progress over on the British militaria forums, but don't know if they will ever actually reach the market. Would love to have one -- just a plain-vanilla service-grade example.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I would love one too! Did they commercialize it?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Trigger action is a better description. What would sensibly be DAO?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:23 pm In the early 1850s, there was a keen competition between Sam Colt and Robert Adams to capture the imagination --and contracts -- of the British military. Colt's American revolvers were of course single-action and intended to be used accurately and at times out to near rifle distances. Adams' revolvers were what we now call double action but were then called "trigger-action"; just pull the trigger as rapidly as you need to shoot in close-quarters combat. There was considerable debate on the two different design approaches, but at least one officer who fought in the Crimean War came down solidly on the side of the Adams. I can scarcely blame him!

crimeaadams.jpeg
This is interesting. I spent some time today reading up on the Webley-Fosbery Automatic which made a semi-auto revolver that got some service useage . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley–Fo ... c_Revolver

there are other links and they are shot and collected . . . some have been converted to 45 ACP. It's a good read.

grizz
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

A shootable Webley-Fosbery is my grail gun. I came close once. But the $7000 was out of reach with two kids.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Where I used to live the local churchyard had the grave of an officer of the Crimean War with the image of a Colt Navy on the headstone. I have never seen another headstone with a firearm depicted on it, I did have a photo but can't find it.

I should add that he died of old age not because he favoured the Colt.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:40 am I should add that he died of old age not because he favoured the Colt.
:lol: :lol: :lol: