The Latest and The Greatest

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Latest and The Greatest

Post by JimT »

Reading some online gun articles it seems the Federal .30 Super Carry is THE BEST carry gun available now. In a small pistol it holds more rounds than a 9mm and is at least equal in stopping power. This seems like the best cartridge that has ever been invented by man!

However, comparing the ballistics I have to wonder if the writers are just repeating the advertising hype.

.30 Super Carry
.312” diameter bullet
100 gr. Bullet @ 1250 fps

.32 H&R Magnum
.312” diameter bullet
100 gr. Bullet @ 1208 fps

So the AMAZING .30 Super Carry is ballistically the same thing as the H&R .32 Magnum.

And it makes me wonder why everyone including Federal has forgotten the FEDERAL .327 MAGNUM?
327 Federal Magnum
.312” diameter bullet
100 gr. Bullet - 2 loads .. 1@ 1400 fps and 1@ 1655 fps

Either one of the 100 gr. loads far outperforms the Super Carry! But wait! It doesn't have the words "SUPER CARRY" in its title so it can't be as good!

I'm with a good friend who quoted Shakespeare when I mentioned this. He said, "...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

When you send a boy to do a man's job, things can go badly.
IMG_6510.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Latest and The Greatest

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Interesting musings, Jim. I am having fun with the .327 Magnum snubby and the four .32 revolver cartridges, but consider none of them to be the best at anything. I'm no 9 fan, but believe it's a much better choice with current loadings for defensive purposes than the Super Carry, which by the way often gets you only one more in the magazine. I was reading Garry James's article on the French Model 1935A in the recent Rifleman. I used to have one, and the cartridge -- 7.65 French Longue, based on the Pedersen "Auto Pistol Ball caliber .30 Model of 1918" -- was surprisingly similar in performance.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The .32's are fun to shoot and are sure easy on the powder and lead supply. But to try and market them as GREAT for concealed carry?

In 1969 I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. It had just recently been introduced by Ruger and I was fresh out of the military after 3 years of service and had some money. ( :D boy .. the prices then ..) It was the MOST noisy thing I had ever fired. George Nonte said it was like having a dynamite cap go off in each ear while someone slapped you in the face with a wet towel. That was about as close a description as I ever read.

BUT ... while it was accurate, at 100 yards the old 158 gr. factory roundnose .38 Special had more punch! I was interested in doing long range pistol work and after messing with the .30 Carbine for about a year I sold it and bought another .45.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I read an article that was explaining load development for the Super Carry. The author is a well known and well versed reloader and from what I remember- lots of blown primers! Is it that high pressure or was he hot rodding? Dunno as I don't really care about this cartridge. I prefer my .40 and up!
The only 32 I ever owned is now my 44 special :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:19 pm The only 32 I ever owned is now my 44 special :D
That is THE BEST .32 I have ever seen!

As I said, I like playing with the .32 but writers need to be real about stuff. If they cannot tell the truth about something then they should not write it up. My friend John Taffin has always refused to write about something that he did not agree with.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I wish Smith and Wesson would come out with 327 in a 5” j or k frame !
Also a Marlin so chambered.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Seems like they might have done better to just put a new head stamp on the 30 Mauser and called it a day.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:05 am Reading some online gun articles it seems the Federal .30 Super Carry is THE BEST carry gun available now. In a small pistol it holds more rounds than a 9mm and is at least equal in stopping power. This seems like the best cartridge that has ever been invented by man!

However, comparing the ballistics I have to wonder if the writers are just repeating the advertising hype.

.30 Super Carry
.312” diameter bullet
100 gr. Bullet @ 1250 fps

.32 H&R Magnum
.312” diameter bullet
100 gr. Bullet @ 1208 fps

So the AMAZING .30 Super Carry is ballistically the same thing as the H&R .32 Magnum.

And it makes me wonder why everyone including Federal has forgotten the FEDERAL .327 MAGNUM?
327 Federal Magnum
.312” diameter bullet
100 gr. Bullet - 2 loads .. 1@ 1400 fps and 1@ 1655 fps

Either one of the 100 gr. loads far outperforms the Super Carry! But wait! It doesn't have the words "SUPER CARRY" in its title so it can't be as good!

I'm with a good friend who quoted Shakespeare when I mentioned this. He said, "...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

When you send a boy to do a man's job, things can go badly.

IMG_6510.JPG
I was wondering when this would come up! I'm partial to .458 and can't conceal it. Heh
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

32 H&R- smallbore version of 38 Special

327 magnum- smallbore version of 357 magnum

30 Super Carry- smallbore version of 9x19 mainly for micro autos

All offer more capacity unlike the smallbore bottlenecked Luger, Mauser and Tokarov. But they do not seem to quite match what each is designed to compete with. Each may be good enough, but I like handguns (22 excepted) to start at 35 caliber and prefer 40, 43 or 45. Then I remember 32s aren’t .32, but more like .312 which is close to .308 which is 30 cal to me. Anything I can do with a 32 (30) revolver, I can do with 38/357 without much fuss and no practical change in gun size. The Super Carry will never supplant the 9x19, I personally prefer 40 and 45 to either.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I really wonder why people get so hung up on additional capacity?

I haven’t noticed any trend where folks are having to shoot other folks a great number of times.

I’m personally good with five rounds of .44 Special or .45 Colt.

No way that any .32 caliber pistol is going to hit as hard as a good .44 or.45 caliber sixgun.

And I don’t just talk the talk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I feel ok with a five shot 38 even doing high value transactions. I feel well protected with a six shot 45acp revolver and five shot 12 gauge at home. A 1911 with eight 45s and a spare mag is exceptionally well heeled to me.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:28 am I really wonder why people get so hung up on additional capacity?
When you miss you need to miss a lot! And really fast.

Reminds me of the shootout in Clarksville, AZ back in the 30's I believe it was. Some out of town bandits came in to pull a robbery and ran afoul of the local Constable, an old-time lawman. He carried a Colt SAA. If I remember correctly one of the bandits had a tommy gun. End of the story was both bandits down and the old lawman unharmed.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Good story, Jim!

You have to remember that when the bad guys plan some kind of misdeed, their stress levels and adrenaline are already way up when the encounter takes place whereas the the good guy has at least a few moments before the adrenaline rush sets in. Some of the old time gunfighters advised to shoot slowly but shoot well.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

It appears that you guys don't read the newspapers about how crimes go down in my zone. I am influenced by what the tv reports every day . . .
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

As I no longer have to comply with regulations about firearms I have gone back to revolvers more often than not. A friend of mine just traded me an S&W model 69 in .44 Mag (for a rifle) that I carry a lot. Next is the 4-inch 329 both with a couple of .44 spls in them and a snake load in the warmer weather. Any time I go into a city or travel I revert to 10mm, .357 Sig, .38 super or .45 Semis, and a rifle.
It is not the critic who counts
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Five shots from each today:

I definitely shoot the .45 Colt better than the .44 Magnum but either one would probably work.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:28 am I really wonder why people get so hung up on additional capacity?

I haven’t noticed any trend where folks are having to shoot other folks a great number of times.

I’m personally good with five rounds of .44 Special or .45 Colt.

No way that any .32 caliber pistol is going to hit as hard as a good .44 or.45 caliber sixgun.

And I don’t just talk the talk.

EXACTLY my thoughts………but Scott, for “capacity”, you and I can shoot.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:10 pm

EXACTLY my thoughts………but Scott, for “capacity”, you and I can shoot.
Only due to my ill-spent youth.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Scott, you wrote a year or so ago that you used to hunt deer in the Houston area with your duty1911 in .45 ACP. No doubts about your effectiveness with a large bore handgun.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

JimT wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:05 amReading some online gun articles it seems the Federal .30 Super Carry is THE BEST carry gun available now.
I, uh, have never heard of that cartridge.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’m seeing ammo on gun shop shelves for this little buggar so somebody is ordering it to sell.

I have a feeling that this cartridge will not make big inroads because of the popularity of the 9mm.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:39 am I’m seeing ammo on gun shop shelves for this little buggar so somebody is ordering it to sell.

I have a feeling that this cartridge will not make big inroads because of the popularity of the 9mm.
Or is it that the ammo makers ARE pushing it by loading it over other calibers?
Still, it doesn't start with a .4 so I'm not too interested in it...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Scott, out of curiosity what is the revolver in your second (bottom) pic ? It looks like a S&W (?)
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

TraderVic wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:55 pm Scott, out of curiosity what is the revolver in your second (bottom) pic ? It looks like a S&W (?)
Smith & Wesson 69 in .44 mag. That group was shot with Winchester white box 240 gr soft point