About that Ole sixgun empty chamber

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: About that Ole sixgun empty chamber

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve never broken one on any of my guns. But I’ve replaced quite a few back when we carried revolvers for police work.

I’m a big fan of fixed sights on a field gun and I find that most Smith sights are dead on for me and I generally need to do a little file work with a fixed sight sixgun.

One they are on, they are on.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Having been bounced off the back of a fractious equine with a holstered sidearm, 35 lbs of force against the hammer wouldn't be difficult to attain... While both my horses used in mounted work were effectively "bomb-proof", both upon occasion would "act out"... Only once out in public... and while embarrassing, on that occasion I didn't lose my seat! But did learn she wasn't "band" proof! We were the color guard for the Grand entry at opening of the Mesquite Rodeo for the season. I don't know how long it took her to cover the length of the arena, but it sure felt a lot longer than 8 seconds! I've never seen an image of the incident, so I don't believe it was captured for posterity, but witnesses said she put on quite the show! Me? I was just hangin' on!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've had few private rodeos .. especially when breaking them to gunfire. Some were more easily boogered than others.

A friend was breaking a couple horses. One of them had run wild until it was about 8 years old. It tried to get over a 14 foot board wall and actually got one front leg over it! I thought it would be busted but it was just bruised really well. That horse was so spooky. If you were in the saddle and all was quiet, if you raised your hand too fast you were in for a ride .. probably not a long one.

We had a Deputy we called "Buffalo" ... weighed about 350 ... big guy. He was not much of horse person but we figured his weight would hold this horse down a bit so we instructed him about sitting still in the saddle and not to go flapping his arms around. He rode out of the corral and when he passed the tack shed he reached over to get a coke he had left there. This horse went nuts and had gotten rid of him in about 3 jumps. It then ran out onto the road, tried to run across the highway and ran into the side of a passing VW van, caving it in quite a ways.

The van was from New York and the driver was all upset. "How am I gonna explain to the Insurance Company that I was run into by a horse?" was his question.

We name the nag "IRON HORSE" after that.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I suppose there could be endless books written about Animal Antics. Those stories are vivid and funny, makes me think the horses have their own senses of humor, like dogs do. . . think of what their tales must be like! :lol:
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:03 pm I’ve never broken one on any of my guns. But I’ve replaced quite a few back when we carried revolvers for police work.

I’m a big fan of fixed sights on a field gun and I find that most Smith sights are dead on for me and I generally need to do a little file work with a fixed sight sixgun.

One they are on, they are on.
I agree 100% on that. I am quite happy to work within a narrow range of bullet weight to enjoy the benefits of clean lines and a zero that can weather hard knocks and remain constant.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sarge wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:21 pm I agree 100% on that. I am quite happy to work within a narrow range of bullet weight to enjoy the benefits of clean lines and a zero that can weather hard knocks and remain constant.
Clearly and succinctly stated!! Well done!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

From the 1922 Colt catalog ,the SAA is made safe by carrying in the safety notch. I could see flaped holster back then being utilized.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.