This is really incredible

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This is really incredible

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have high end .45s with test targets that look amazing.

But they aren’t generally shot at 25 yards!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Re: This is really incredible

Post by JimT »

Nice.
They believe in their work.
With good reason!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Beautiful! Can't call any fliers with that one. :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AND the front sight was left very tall so I can file it down to match a favored load. Windage seems to be perfect.

I picked it up used for a steal and I’ll bet it’s because it shoots about 10 inches low and the former owner didn’t know how to fix that.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I've had a 6" "field grade" M83 since the late 80s or very early 90s (can't remember but it only cost $900). It is one of the most accurate revolvers I've had (along with a M97 .44 special).
FA makes great stuff but, like everything else, getting more expensive all the time. If you see a good deal, jump on it.
Paul
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Scott, as I'm sure you're aware, Freedom Arms sells replacement sights in a variety of heights in case you decide to try other loads.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good For You Scott !! Very Nice. :mrgreen: .
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Walt wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:28 pm Scott, as I'm sure you're aware, Freedom Arms sells replacement sights in a variety of heights in case you decide to try other loads.
Yes, but I like the clean lines of a fixed sight sixgun.

Factory.357 has been so neutered that I’ll have to see if it will shoot a warm .357 handload and settle on one load before I file the front sight too much.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:10 pm Yes, but I like the clean lines of a fixed sight sixgun.
I prefer the fixed sight sixguns and always have. I don't adjust my sights on the adjustable sighted guns. I sight them in and then lock them down. I learned where they hit at 50 yards and 100 yards and 150 and 200 yards and on out. My Freedom Arms 454 was fixed sight and I marked the front sight for longer range. My Linebaugh .45 Colt Ruger has a mark on the front sight for longer distances.
IMG_0828.JPG
IMG_0829.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Assuming using a machine rest ?
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have never examined a fixed-sight FA. Are you saying that the front sight is not removable?
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Very nice!

JBowen
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Walt wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:11 pm I have never examined a fixed-sight FA. Are you saying that the front sight is not removable?
Correct.
58-MODEL 83 PREMIER GRADE-D13273-4.jpg
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Exactly right.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'd be wrecked for life if I shot a group like that. I would quit guns and take up shuffleboard.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I know what you mean Bill. I shoot mostly on steel and I’m pretty happy when I get a fist sized group.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:46 pm I'd be wrecked for life if I shot a group like that. I would quit guns and take up shuffleboard.
On the other hand, it's nice to know what the gun's capable of. It gives you something to work towards. :D

Back in '01 I was given a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt and a bunch of ammo, mostly fairly heavy loads (Buffalo Bore 300's, for example) and John Taffin took pity on me and gave me a box of Cowboy loads which I proceeded to shoot well enough to see the gun was printing to the left. Took it to Shapel's in Boise and their gunsmith tweaked the barrel slightly for me. Along the way I picked up a set of dies, hand press and components and reloaded the brass I'd generated. Got to a friend's place and he took me to the range. And that gun wouldn't shoot for sour apples. So I asked my friend to give it a whirl. He is a former champion pistol shooter and I figured he'd be able to see what was what, I was wondering if it was my reloads or the gun or what. Turned out to be what, of course. He ran a cylinder full of my reloads into a nice, tiny little cluster well centered on the target. Turned out I needed to tighten the nut that grasped the gripframe and squeezed the trigger. Those heavy loads really had me rattled and I'd developed a flinch worthy of placement at the Smithsonian as a prime example of its kind. Now I try to start off with 22's, 38's and other light loads before moving on to the 44's and 45's. It helps my shooting tremendously!

So yeah, it's nice to know what the gun can do. It gives you something to work towards!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:15 am I have high end .45s with test targets that look amazing.

But they aren’t generally shot at 25 yards!
I stopped in at Freedom Arms way back when. They had a nice little Model 97 in 357 with an octagon barrel. 5 1/2", IIRC. Whatever the dimensions, that little popper just "felt right". I've never managed to accumulate the means to order one, but seeing a test target like that whets the imagination even more. Funny, I've never owned a 357, but that one keeps coming back to memory. Sweet shooting pistol. I look forward to seeing it get adjusted to your specs and use.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:11 am I know what you mean Bill. I shoot mostly on steel and I’m pretty happy when I get a fist sized group.
I know what you mean Scott. I'm pretty happy when I hear the "ding"... :D
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AmBraCol wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:07 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:15 am
I stopped in at Freedom Arms way back when. They had a nice little Model 97 in 357 with an octagon barrel. 5 1/2", IIRC. Whatever the dimensions, that little popper just "felt right". I've never managed to accumulate the means to order one, but seeing a test target like that whets the imagination even more.
I had a few pistols in the safe that were gathering dust. So I went in and traded a sack full of them for this one.

I won’t miss the ones that I no longer have.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's a real trophy, Scott! I've wanted one for some time. Preferably a .44 Magnum.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pat C wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:15 pm Assuming using a machine rest ?
Even using a machine rest, that’s tight
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:54 am That's a real trophy, Scott! I've wanted one for some time. Preferably a .44 Magnum.

jb 8)
.45 Colt for me

And asking “why not just get the 454?”

With my usage patterns i know I would never shoot big power loads and wouldn’t want to clean all the extra gunk out of the cylinder like I have to do with my 357’s after I shoot a bunch of 38 through them

I’m speaking in hypotheticals though, I’d love to have one in any chambering
----- Doug
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Pat C wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:15 pm Assuming using a machine rest ?
According to Freedom Arms, these groups are fired from a vice using Black Hills 158 gr JHP ammunition.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Streetstar wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:36 am
2ndovc wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:54 am That's a real trophy, Scott! I've wanted one for some time. Preferably a .44 Magnum.

jb 8)
.45 Colt for me

And asking “why not just get the 454?”

With my usage patterns i know I would never shoot big power loads and wouldn’t want to clean all the extra gunk out of the cylinder like I have to do with my 357’s after I shoot a bunch of 38 through them

I’m speaking in hypotheticals though, I’d love to have one in any chambering
Getting to the point where I just don't want another caliber. I already have 47 sets of dies. Tired of keeping track of everything.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

A fine read on the subject:

http://darkcanyon.net/MyFriend_The357.htm
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

That's one of Skeeter's best, although he wrote on the .357 quite a bit. There's another where he laid out his idea of the perfect .357, which I believe strongly influenced the Lipsey's 5" half-lug GP100. I bet if Ol' Skeeter was still around he'd be tickled with the FA97.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I miss Skeeter. Those were good days.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:36 am I picked it up used for a steal and I’ll bet it’s because it shoots about 10 inches low and the former owner didn’t know how to fix that.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Well it was grouping well but a full 10 inches low at 25 yards. I took the file to it, shot six more rounds and repeated. It’s almost perfect now.

.38 Special 158 gr.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.357 158 gr
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I may need to take a hair off still but I want to shoot it again on another day.

After 60 rounds of .357, I’m a little tired but the gun is certainly accurate enough
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I know it takes some of the fun out, but I would order some Black Hills 158s. You KNOW they will group. It that 97 or 83?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Looks like you got it dialed in!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:36 am AND the front sight was left very tall so I can file it down to match a favored load. Windage seems to be perfect.

I picked it up used for a steal and I’ll bet it’s because it shoots about 10 inches low and the former owner didn’t know how to fix that.
You’d like to thing the previous owner was atleast smart enough to call them and say it’s shooting blah blah blah what can be done about it , and they inform him of SOP etc !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

44shooter wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:00 pm I know it takes some of the fun out, but I would order some Black Hills 158s. You KNOW they will group. It that 97 or 83?
I can’t find that stuff for sale anywhere. Moreover, I can’t hold that steady offhand.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

6pt-sika wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:32 pm

You’d like to thing the previous owner was atleast smart enough to call them and say it’s shooting blah blah blah what can be done about it , and they inform him of SOP etc !
I don’t know. He painted the recess of the rear sight white and the front sight orange. So he thought about the sights but never corrected them.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have a 5 1/2" Freedom Arms model 97 in .45 Colt. That's such a sweet little gun, I can't imagine any of the old-time single action shooters not loving them.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Walt wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:52 pm I have a 5 1/2" Freedom Arms model 97 in .45 Colt. That's such a sweet little gun, I can't imagine any of the old-time single action shooters not loving them.
Oh I think they are a dandy size and they point like a finger. What’s really interesting is that though they are smaller than a SAA they will handle Ruger Only loads.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have shot fairly heavy .45 Colts in my Model 97, but most of the time when I use it I have the .45 ACP cylinder in it. I like it with the ACP's. Of course mine is so short that the ejector rod does not have the travel of the longer barreled guns, and the ACP's kick out easy. I use a 1911 magazine for a speed loader.
IMG_3023.JPG
I usually carry it in Paco's old 1911 holster.
IMG_0366.JPG
I had Gary Reeder mill off the back of each cylinder so the rims are not recessed. I prefer to see the edges of the cartridge rims and if the gun gets in the dirt somehow or something gets in it, it won't mess up chambering a round.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

And the .45 ACP makes good sense with the 97’s short cylinder.

I have a feeling that I’ll be shooting a great deal of .38 Special in mine.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Bought this from Mark Hargrove 17 yrs ago. It has always been one of my favorites - 45 Colt/ACP.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Beautiful gun and holsters, Paul....thanks for the picture!