Remember to Cherish every moment with Loved Ones

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Remember to Cherish every moment with Loved Ones

Post by AJMD429 »

A few years ago on Thanksgiving-eve, a patient of mine woke early and went to check on her daughter who was home from college and had been feeling ill, and was home for the holiday. Overnight she had a GI bleed, and was deceased in a bed full of blood.

That family will never enjoy another 'happy' Thanksgiving, or at least not in the way the rest of us get to.

Many elderly people also pass this time of year, sometimes after they enjoy 'one last get-together' with family, as if they were saving up their enegy for it, then said "Lord, now I'm yours..."

Humans only live about 30,000 days or so, maybe a thousand months, on average, and they go by fast. Enjoy all the together-time you get.

P.S. - On the other hand, for the young know-it-alls home from college who want to 'spar' politically, I'm old enough now that it's "game-on" and I won't spare their 'feelings' if they want to step out to the back porch were the cigars and political-talk happens. :lol: :twisted: I'll never forget the 'transition' where I went from tolerating and gently kid-gloving my nephews and nieces about their 'liberal' (really the ones who call themselves 'highly-educated liberals' today would be more accurate if they self-described as 'incredibly-ignorant fascists') views, to just saying what I really felt, instead of trying to shield their snow-flake feelings - I never idolized Trump, but just for effect, I told a group of them that "I think Trump was the best president since George Washington", and it was like a conversational nuke went off. "Let the fun begin...! :lol: "
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Remember to Cherish every moment with Loved Ones

Post by gcs »

LOL , go get em!! ...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, I think that might even start fights in an old folks' home! :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks for the reminder, Doc. Two of my friends passed away unexpectedly this fall, and those two families will be "celebrating" their first Thanksgiving without them. :(

And I'm done sparing the feelings of people holding stupid believes. I don't really care if they like me or not.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Spending Thanksgiving in Detroit with my wife's family. Her Mother is not well. My wife has been here five to six nights per week since Labor Day. If I wanted to see my wife on Thanksgiving, I was going to have to make the two hour drive south.

Lots of political talk always ensues. After the recent UAW Automotive strike and Biden's pandering, there will be a whole lot of pro Democrat ramblings emanating from my many UAW in-laws. I had a little fun a while ago, though. I threw a verbal hand grenade and then left the room. I said something to the effect that the UAW's demands were shaped more by the liberals whining for $15/hr minimum pay for McDonalds employees than anything else. The room exploded. I changed rooms. Now THAT was fun.

There will be lots of time over the next few days to more fully engage. But I prefer one on one. I prefer reason over volume.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yesterday would have been our 53rd Anniversary. It's been close to 5 years without my partner. We never argued politics. We both migrated from youthful liberals to firm conservatives about the same time. Fell right in line with both sets of parents and my foster parents, whom my family had stayed in contact with. We all celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas together. Even my foster brother college professor was a staunch Republican. Even tho' several of us worked in the public sector, no one felt slighted for being a "public servant", or that we were owed more than we contributed. I've found over the years that more friends from High School have drunk the Kool-Aid fed them by the State of California. Most have retired from their careers and now suck from the State. I actually one tell me that I should move back. We haven't spoke since. I have no time for fools.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Woulda' been our 51st a couple months ago. I'm about to head over to daughter's house where there will be a whole lotta gkids, ggkids, etc. Stuff me full of turkey and dressing and top off with daughter's Nutela/banana-cream pie and I could happily just go ahead and check on out.

If you don't hear from me ever again you'll know that's what happened. Keep on shootin'!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

My wife has been gone 7 years. This year would have been our 50th. She was my best friend, my hunting partner, and we were a Team. I did the heavy lifting. She was the smart one. I miss her, but I enjoy being with family. It's easy enough to get bummed out but years ago it was pointed out to me that any dead fish can float downstream. Take what life gives you and keep heading upstream! So today I am most thankful for Family and Friends, some of whom are on this Forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have so much to be thankful for. Kathy hasn’t had to spend the night in a hospital for more than a year. My family was all together yesterday with virtually no internal strife.

I pray that my son will one day return to me. But I’m grateful that he is doing well.

And I’m grateful to have each and every one of you to share with.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Good post Doc. I like to visit older relatives too. My grandfathers cousin turned 98 back in 2017 or so. Id never met him but sought him out and glad I did as he told me stories about my family I didnt know. My other grandfather just turned 99 and I visited with him recently as well. He was telling me stories of the late 20's when he was small child. Old people are time travellers.