Serious injury with a crossbow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Serious injury with a crossbow

Post by t.r. »

I left my cocking rope in the SUV. But instead of walking back for it, I made a bad choice instead. I injured myself while cocking my Ten Point crossbow using my arm and back muscles. I've been to the ER three times and a Chiropractor twice. But no pain relief and the pain level became much worse. Finally, an MRI was performed, and I was told that I have a badly herniated disc. The pain is awful. I am hoping to see a neurosurgeon soon for shots in my back. Surgery is the last option and certainly not my first choice either.

My hunting for the remainder of the year is over because of a bad choice. - TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Serious injury with a crossbow

Post by Grizz »

t.r. wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:14 am I left my cocking rope in the SUV. But instead of walking back for it, I made a bad choice instead. I injured myself while cocking my Ten Point crossbow using my arm and back muscles. I've been to the ER three times and a Chiropractor twice. But no pain relief and the pain level became much worse. Finally, an MRI was performed, and I was told that I have a badly herniated disc. The pain is awful. I am hoping to see a neurosurgeon soon for shots in my back. Surgery is the last option and certainly not my first choice either.

My hunting for the remainder of the year is over because of a bad choice. - TR
Way sorry to hear this, but glad you posted it. I need reminders and I don't even own a crossbow. :roll:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ouch...one day a back will let you lift a truck another day it will give out pulling on your boots ! Hope you get some pain relief and healing real soon.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I sure hope You can somehow get relief. Back pain is Bad. Good Luck.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Been there done that. By all means try non surgical methods first. But don’t wait for almost a year like I did. Depending on the severity and location the pain blocks will only work a short time. Simply put a severely injured disc won’t heal themselves. And the longer you wait the longer post surgical rehabilitation will take longer. And this isn’t even considering the pain you will endure while procrastinating.

I’m currently dealing with two herniated discs in my neck. Had pain blocking injection two days ago. Not relif yet, but I know from past experience it can take a bit before any improvement is to be had. I have been doing PT to no avail. I will try acupuncture as well. In other words all the non surgical stuff I did last time. But I won’t wait almost a year before surgery this time.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ouch! Not good. I just bought the crank handle/ winch for cooking my Excalibur. Being a recurve it takes 240lbs of cooking effort, I felt it every time!

Known a few guys that got their thumbs in the way !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

5 months after back surgery ! 10 months of 11 on a scale 0f 1 to 10 pain, jumping through hoops leading to surgery! I feel your pain :cry:
Hope it gets better soon, one way or another!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fused from L2 to S-1 here, and waiting to schedule S1-S2 injections. Absolutely know your pain, but do not give up hope!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Problems here with L4-L5 so it looks like a bunch of us are familiar with your ills.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Thats terrible! Hope you recover soon. My kids got me a Barnett crossbow after I had a shoulder replacement. That thing scares the heck out of me. I hated hunting with it. I hunt while walking and it was awkward carrying when loaded. You can't sling it loaded....you can but its unnerving. Mine had a handguard to prevent putting your fingers on the rail. I've seen pics of guys severing fingers. Also it's slow to load. I walked up on a bull elk. By the time I got it ready, cooked and loaded...it was gone.
But dang! That thing was accurate! It could put all bolts in a 1" to 2" circle at 70 yards. I still sold it.... I might get a compound bow.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

t.r. wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:14 am I injured myself while cocking my Ten Point crossbow...
Ouch!!!
But I admit I'd opened this expecting to hear about a broadhead laceration... (That would be an ouch -- but with a major SLICE in front of it...)

jeepnik wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:27 am Been there done that. By all means try non surgical methods first.
One of my best friends, now my daughter's father-in-law, got the most relief for his back from acupuncture. That was done only AFTER he'd tried pills, a chiropractor and 2 surgeries. He started 3X per week, down to 2X after so many weeks, then 1X and now only goes when he needs a "nerve tune up".

Good luck.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:46 am Ouch...one day a back will let you lift a truck another day it will give out pulling on your boots ! Hope you get some pain relief and healing real soon.
The absolute truth!

I've tossed my back out lurching over to pick up something I dropped... and literally been hit by a Mack truck as well.

My L5/S1 and L4/L5 discs are badly herniated. Trying to set up my next injections. They are no fun at all, but better than dealing with the pain. Give the injection a chance to work. Sometimes takes more than one, especially if it is your first. I've heard of people that have instant relief; I hope this is the case with you. Anymore, my injections usually take 2-3 weeks to reach full impact, but it is worth it especially since I am not a candidate for fusion surgery.

Good luck t.r.!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:44 pm
t.r. wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:14 am I injured myself while cocking my Ten Point crossbow...
Ouch!!!
But I admit I'd opened this expecting to hear about a broadhead laceration... (That would be an ouch -- but with a major SLICE in front of it...)

jeepnik wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:27 am Been there done that. By all means try non surgical methods first.
One of my best friends, now my daughter's father-in-law, got the most relief for his back from acupuncture. That was done only AFTER he'd tried pills, a chiropractor and 2 surgeries. He started 3X per week, down to 2X after so many weeks, then 1X and now only goes when he needs a "nerve tune up".

Good luck.

Old No7
I'll second that, and also recommend "deep needling". Also not a lot of fun, but offers relief without the use of narcotics. Narcotics won't help much with nerve pain anyway, and the side effects are awful.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Friend of mine just got out of the emergency room, he has a crank up Xbow and somehow it got away from him and badly maimed his thumb, he'll be out of commission for a few weeks.

I had an accidental discharge with mine, it was pointing down when it went off, bolt had a mechanical broadhead that missed the top of my foot by inches, still don't know what or how it happened....but it scared me! These things are useful, especially for guys with bad shoulders but they are dangerous, be careful out there...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No problems yet for me. Still, touching my toes sounds like a string of Black Cat firecrackers popping.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Do consider chiropractic or physical therapy and/or meds though, as the disks often dedicate and retract anyway in a couple years. May or may not be good to wait it out.

Maybe you could hunt with a handgun this year…?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Three weeks ago, an orthopedic doctor provided four shots into my ruptured discs. Very painful but worth it! My pain level has been steadily reduced since then. But walking and standing is still very uncomfortable. I use a cane to get around which is helpful. I feel confident that complete healing will be accomplished by Springtime. I'm praising God for this healing process! - TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!