Short brass with which FlexTip commercial ammo??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Short brass with which FlexTip commercial ammo??

Post by big bear »

Hornady 348Winchester commercial ammo (loaded with their FlexTip bullets) uses brass that is shorter than standard 348Winchester bras. Does anyone know of a reference source as to which of the commercial mmo with the FlexTip bullets utilize shorter than standard brass?

Thanks!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Short brass with which FlexTip commercial ammo??

Post by RIDERED350r »

I have the current Hornady data and they make no mention of shortening the brass for the FTX bullet in the 348WCF. They are very clear about noting the requirement to cut the brass shorter for the cartridges they require it in the data. Unless I'm mistaken, it's only the straight wall cases that require shorter brass, 357, 44, 45 Colt, 45-70 where with bottleneck cases like 30-30, 32Win Spl and 348WCF makes no mention of it. Here is a screenshot of the Hornady data. It would be stated here in bold red print if it were required.
Screenshot_20231027-212918.png

I should add that I have not seen any commercially made ammo using the FTX bullet other than Hornady themselves. I may be wrong, but I've never seen any others.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think I bought a box of factory 444 marlin or maybe 4570 government and noticed the shorter brass.

I’m curious about the 357 magnum and 44 magnum.

Do they use 38 special and 44 special cases…???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

No, just trimmed magnum cases. Their handloading manual tells exactly where to trim to. Honestly with the likes of 444, 44, 357 etc, one seems to gain nothing of consequence using the pointy bullets. It’s not worth the effort of trimming and sequestering those cases. For example the 265 grain .429 Hornady FTX has a .225 bc. The 265 gr Interlock FP has a .189 bc. That’s not much difference. The 357 bullets BCs actually slightly favor the hollow point over the pointed one.

Bottleneck cases that do not require being cut backs are a different matter. FTX bullets in 25, 30, 338, 348 and a few others have a significantly higher BC than their flatnose counterparts and could help you make longer shots, if you have a need for that in these types of cartridges.

Personally, I will not load FTX for my 357, 44, or 444. I will for my 30-30 if I ever get around to it. If I had a 348 I would try them since there is a ballistic advantage and the cases do not require the additional trimming.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Makes sense.

If you can afford more than one gun better to get a 30-06 then try to make a 444 Marlin in to one.

I have some ‘short’ 444 Marlin cases from factory gummytips, but plan on just using them for shot capsule loads or something.

As far as 44 Mag and 357 Mag I see zero need for higher-BC bullets, I guess because I’m spoiled enough to own a 35 Remington and 375 Winchester, which fill those niches anyway.

I was just curious on the 38 Spl and 44 Spl cases, because at least it would make sense to use those. Guess they didn’t do that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I shoot a lot of .357 Mag or .45 Colt out of leverguns at longer ranges for fun and I've found that BC of the XTP 180grn at .230 and the 158grn at .206 is higher than the BC for their 140grn FTX at .160 so I just developed loads for those and shoot them at 200 yds with good accuracy.

My leverguns are all iron sighted so 200 yd performance is all I need to pop those pesky bowling pins. And honestly, I don't see much accuracy difference between them with their longer sight radius and peep sights and my peep sighted AR or Mini M14 at that distance.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are