Ammo flying off the shelves

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Ammo flying off the shelves

Post by JBowen »

I had to go to the "Big City" today for a Dr. appointment and while I was there I stopped at four different Gun Stores.
I was able to score a few reloading components and bought some FMJ 9 mm, 45 acp, and .223 bulk packs of ammo. I asked a couple
of the store clerks if the Israel War was bringing people in and they said it has really picked up the last few days.
I don't know if things will ever get caught back up to pre- COVID levels.
What are you all seeing in your neck of the woods?

JBowen

p.s. I also found a pound of 2 FFg Swiss black powder. I thought I was going to have to order some because I had not seen any
in a few years.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ammo flying off the shelves

Post by Walt »

I shoot every week and my biggest concern was availability of primers. However, I've been able to buy half a dozen bricks from Cabela's over the past month or so. They have a daily limit of one brick. I cast most of what I shoot so bullets aren't a problem and I have lots of powder.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I've received a dozen or more sales pitch emails this past weekend up to today all saying something like "5.56 & 9mm low stock alert" or the like. They maybe entirely correct but I didn't bite so their fishing expedition was not successful.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have been gradually moving away from. The 5.56 and 9 mm anyway.

But I have been buying large pistol primers.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was never a big fan of 9mm or 5.56, but it doesn't hurt to have something to shoot them. I found a few primers and some powder at my local Academy Sports and Outdoors. I try to shoot as often as I can.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Never owned a 9mm anything and while I'm not thrilled with 5.56, my Mini M14 is ½ the price to handload for, 14.7¢ per rd than my M1A at 26.9¢ per rd and it has the same manual of arms so the practice is still valuable. I use 62grn Hornady with it but I can handload pulled 55 grn XM193 ammo still for $81/K so I can keep my son in ammo (Well, at least for another 1,900 rds.).

To me, uncertainty in the ammo marketplace has become a significant driver for friends to start to reload. I've talked it up for years but now they're starting to get serious about it and I've offered to teach them the fundamentals on my 750 until they decide on which press is right for them. My neighbor is coming over this afternoon with some components for his 3rd lesson and to produce some .357 Mag for his levergun he got 12 years ago after he shot mine.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I am like most of you on this forum, I prefer levers and revolvers, but I have bought into the idea that the calibers that the military and police use are more available in hard times. The loading components are also more available.

Like COSteve I enjoy my Mini 14 Ranch rifle with a wood stock and blued metal. I also like to plink with 9 mm and 45 acp 1911's.

While I was making my rounds mentioned in my original post, I did not find any .430 240 grain XTP's or .357 158 grain XTP's, or .452 anything except for the stuff for the .450 Bushmaster. I would like to buy from local stores, but I guess I will be ordering online to get the
lever caliber stuff again.

JBowen
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have no idea about the situation here? I reload, and cast my own bullets, and my supply is plentiful, so don't even look at gun shops to see what's up?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/