1886 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

1886 45-70

Post by oldebear1950 »

I am considering one of the new Chippwa Kodiak model of the 1886, the Uberti, the Cimerron, and Pedersoli.
I do not care for the rebounding hammer of the Miroku built Winchesters.
I am not saying they are not good guns , just have met some people that say they have misfires with that hammer,
Do any of you have any workings with any of these guns They are all pretty much in the same price range, but I would like to get the most bang for my buck.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 1886 45-70

Post by samsi »

I believe the Cimmarons are made by Uberti. Not an '86 but a friend picked up a '94 Short Rifle that's impressive with regard to build quality, nice case colors too. On the range it shoots like any good '94.

I had a Miroku '86 and never had any issues with it, including light strikes. Full length rifle, just never really bonded with it. A Short Rifle or carbine is more to my liking personally.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I have to believe you can remedy a light strike issue, if yours happens to have the problem. A rebounding hammer can be modified, or just send it to Winchester. Having looked at (and owned a couple of) Uberti, Pedersoli, and Miroku guns over the years, I'd say the Miroku are easily the best made. The changes to the firing system can be annoying, I admit. That firing pin safety on the '73s is not the prettiest.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I bought a Miroku made limited edition deluxe takedown 1886 that is an outstandingly beautiful rifle, but it did suffer about a 20% misfire rate due to light hammer strikes. I use it for NRA Lever Action Silhouette shooting, so misfires were unacceptable. I cured the problem by installing a Browning 1886 hammer and removing the tang safety. I installed an MVA midrange Soule tang sight that easily covered the slotted hole left by removing the tang safety. I now have an 1886 rifle with correct half cock that fires reliably every time. Of course this is not the cheapest way to go, but the Miroku build quality is way better than any of the Italian jobs I have seen. For me, it was worth spending the extra money.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Shasta wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:26 pm I bought a Miroku made limited edition deluxe takedown 1886 that is an outstandingly beautiful rifle, but it did suffer about a 20% misfire rate due to light hammer strikes. I use it for NRA Lever Action Silhouette shooting, so misfires were unacceptable. I cured the problem by installing a Browning 1886 hammer and removing the tang safety. I installed an MVA midrange Soule tang sight that easily covered the slotted hole left by removing the tang safety. I now have an 1886 rifle with correct half cock that fires reliably every time. Of course this is not the cheapest way to go, but the Miroku build quality is way better than any of the Italian jobs I have seen. For me, it was worth spending the extra money.

Shasta

Were it my money and a Winchester pattern rifle I was desiring, — this would be the way

As it is though, I am jonesing for an 1895 SBL or similar rifle —- I’m thinking one of the new all weather Henry’s would scratch the itch for $5-600 less (which is off topic for the most part, except for the fact that we are talking about 45/70’s in either case
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Streetstar wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:52 am
Shasta wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:26 pm I bought a Miroku made limited edition deluxe takedown 1886 that is an outstandingly beautiful rifle, but it did suffer about a 20% misfire rate due to light hammer strikes. I use it for NRA Lever Action Silhouette shooting, so misfires were unacceptable. I cured the problem by installing a Browning 1886 hammer and removing the tang safety. I installed an MVA midrange Soule tang sight that easily covered the slotted hole left by removing the tang safety. I now have an 1886 rifle with correct half cock that fires reliably every time. Of course this is not the cheapest way to go, but the Miroku build quality is way better than any of the Italian jobs I have seen. For me, it was worth spending the extra money.

Shasta

I agree 100% with Shasta on the quality. I have a miroku saddle ring short rifle. It is amazing in every respect. The only thing I could think of buying would be a new Ruger 45/70, but I would have to see them first, And there is no real cost savings, is there? Compared to bobbing the barrel of the Browning.
Screenshot 2023-10-14 092627 OhMy.png
grizz

Were it my money and a Winchester pattern rifle I was desiring, — this would be the way

As it is though, I am jonesing for an 1895 SBL or similar rifle —- I’m thinking one of the new all weather Henry’s would scratch the itch for $5-600 less (which is off topic for the most part, except for the fact that we are talking about 45/70’s in either case
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

Has any one had any experience with the Cimarron 1886 in 45-70. I am considering buy one but would like some kind of input first, as they are not inexpensive
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I have one of the Henry ALL WEATHER, 18.5 INCH BARREL WITH THE LOADING GATE , AND IT LOOKS RATHER LIKE A MARLIN. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT IT ALSO LOADS AND UNLOADS THRU THE MAG TUBE.
I put a skinner peep sight and it works wonderful, and looks awesome
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I’d recommend a Browning 1886. They were released as a 22” barrel SRC or a 26” Oct barrel rifle. These models had no rebounding hammers or tang safeties. They are very popular and you’ll have no trouble selling it at a later stage.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

oldebear1950 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:57 pm Has any one had any experience with the Cimarron 1886 in 45-70. I am considering buy one but would like some kind of input first, as they are not inexpensive
Is that an uberti?

I’ve shot a Pedersoli 1886, CCH, was beautiful. They’re a weighty rifle.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I have three tang safety Winchesters. A New Haven built 94 Trapper, a New Haven stamped Miroku built 1886 Takedown made in 1999, and a current production Winchester Miroku 1892 Short Rifle. I have had no malfunctions with any of them. The Mirokus are very high quality rifles but I understand why some folks can't abide the tang safety and rebounding hammer.

That said, there are shops that can delete the tang safety and revert the rifle back to the original design and function of the half cocked notch safety. I put my 1886 through Turnbulls shop a couple years ago and had them delete the tang safety and revert it to the original design along with the other work. So there are ways to work around the tang safety and rebounding hammer on a Miroku rifle if one is so inclined. But that will add cost to the rifle purchase and some folks may not be willing to spend even more on top of the fact that the current Winchester Miroku rifles are pretty much the most expensive mass produced 1886 going right now in an apples to apples comparison of configurations.

I only have limited experience with the Italian made 1886s, a Chiappa that my BIL owns. Not a bad rifle at all. The Italians make some very nice rifles. I can't quite go so far as to say they are on equal footing with Miroku, but they aren't far behind by any stretch. I do also own a Uberti 1876 Centennial and am very pleased with it. Again, fit, finish and workmanship is quite good, but Miroku I think leads by a nose.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I think the problem with the Brownings is finding one.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have an 86 EL.
IIRC I cut the legs off the rebound spring guide, cut a half cock notch in the hammer and removed the tang safety.
Never a misfire before or after the mod.
Many many handloads have gone through that rifle. It’s one of the few cold dead hands guns I have.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The browning 86 is the way to go if you can find one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

Have been thinking and looking at the Cimarron 1886s that are built by Uberti. I have a Uberti EL PATRON revolver and it is a fine gun. Does anyone have any experience with any of these from Cimarron?