Navy Arms rolling block

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Navy Arms rolling block

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Found a rolling block carbine today but it was chambered for the.45 Colt cartridge. Odd to have that much receiver for that small cartridge.

Anyone ever see one like this.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Navy Arms rolling block

Post by GunnyMack »

Not that odd Scott, remember the Winchester low wall weidner muskets that left the factory in 22 short ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I missed out on one the other day chambered in .410 I only hesitated because it was so heavy for a .410 shotgun :|
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Remington made them in .44 WCF with a light barrel and saddle ring for some of the Spanish-speaking countries to our south. I'd consider one in .45 Colt sort of a .45-70 light.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Here’s a photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I haven't seen one of those but think it would make a nifty Walking Around Rifle.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Sweet!

I've had a hankerin for a Pedersoli 'Little Bettsy' in .357 Mag. It's a cut down sized Sharps style that looks to be a hoot to use. With those sights, I'm thinkin that bowling pins at 200 yds would be a cinch and 300 yds might just be achievable with regularity. However, I've not seen one for sale anywhere in the US for over 3 years.

I even emailed Pedersoli directly and they said they'd had some barrel issues and would be available in late 2022. :roll: I guess they missed their mark with that as there are still none available anywhere in North America.
Pedersoli Little Betsy .357mag.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That Dury's outfit again. Boy, I better not go anywhere near there unless flush with cash -- which NEVER happens. in fact, I probably shouldn't even think about going to the old hit-and-miss engine and tractor show in Temple on the 7th. Way too close! :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I love my LowWall in 45 Colt! With its 24" bbl. it has far more potential than I've put it to so far.
DSCN0642.JPG
But, it's a much more svelte action than the Rolling Block.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Did you buy that roller Scott?
That would be a fun pig gun I think!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got two Remington #1 Rolling Blocks in .22LR! I love having the full sized Roller in the little pipsqueak cartridges! Usually small framed guns don't fit adult males very well.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:49 pm I've got two Remington #1 Rolling Blocks in .22LR! I love having the full sized Roller in the little pipsqueak cartridges! Usually small framed guns don't fit adult males very well.
Those sound really interesting
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Speaking 'bout .22 single rifles -- Winchester M1885 Schuetzen rifle, .22 Short:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/price-r ... zen-rifle/
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:46 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:49 pm I've got two Remington #1 Rolling Blocks in .22LR! I love having the full sized Roller in the little pipsqueak cartridges! Usually small framed guns don't fit adult males very well.
Those sound really interesting
I just returned from our annual long-range shoot at the U-Pick Sagebrush Ranch, and after some big bore shooting out to 990 yds., we took a break and shot our old .22 single shot rifles at 175-400 yds. Shooting a .22LR at 400 yds. is very much like shooting a .45-70 at 990 yds. Similar velocities, and trajectory.
I'm not a great shot, so my hits were consistent at 175 yds. with the Rolling Block, but only maybe 60% at 400 yds. Still a lot of fun, and challenging.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Marlin Man: interesting comment about the 45-70 and the 22 LR trajectories. I also heard the same holds true for the 22LR and the 32-40 at 200 yards. I never tried a 22LR at 200, but I did try it once at 100 yards offhand with my winder musket and a converted Ruger #3. Surely was an eye opener about shooting. I often wonder how the DOG (dead old guys) could shoot 50 or 100 rounds of 32-40 or 38-55 off hand.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, glad to hear you still get to shoot at that hallowed venue.
Ray, when I read Ned Roberts talking about those 20- and 40-rod matches, my respect for the ODGs increased immensely. I rarely shoot a rifle offhand even at 50 yards.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ray Newman wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:38 pm Marlin Man: interesting comment about the 45-70 and the 22 LR trajectories. I also heard the same holds true for the 22LR and the 32-40 at 200 yards. I never tried a 22LR at 200, but I did try it once at 100 yards offhand with my winder musket and a converted Ruger #3. Surely was an eye opener about shooting. I often wonder how the DOG (dead old guys) could shoot 50 or 100 rounds of 32-40 or 38-55 off hand.
I've wondered the very same thing Ray! Especially when you consider that many of those .32-40 offhand rifles weighed at least 10 lbs. and some up to 14 lbs.! The Schoyen Ballard #6 Schuetzen I bought in May is a 34" heavy barrel that weighs just over 14 lbs. I can't hold it up on target very long until fatigue makes it impossible to stay on center.
I've often wondered how strong, of tough those old shooters must have been!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:58 am Vall, glad to hear you still get to shoot at that hallowed venue.
Ray, when I read Ned Roberts talking about those 20- and 40-rod matches, my respect for the ODGs increased immensely. I rarely shoot a rifle offhand even at 50 yards.
Wind's sister has been so wonderful in keeping the U-Pick Sagebrush Ranch, and making sure we're able to have our gathering each year. And my friend Mo has been integral in taking over the reins and insuring the event goes well, and is recorded each year since the very beginnings! We all feel extremely blessed to be able to continue the legacy Wind started over a decade ago!