Wet-forming a holster

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Wet-forming a holster

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The first holster I ever wet-formed to the gun's shape I did for a Walker reproduction when I was back in college. I had read an article on doing so in a book from Sam Falada. It worked well. Almost 40 years later, and I did it again for a pair of holsters, again for Walker reproductions, ala "The Outlaw Josey Wales". What fun!

Anyway, when I ordered those holsters I ordered a third, hoping it would fit my Pietta "LeMat" clone. I had been searching high and low for a holster for that revolver, but the only ones I saw were darn expensive. I don't mind paying for a good holster, but why not give wet-forming a try?

Here is the result:

Now, the belt comes from Skillet Creek. You can find his stuff on Etsy and I have several of his holsters and belts - all top quality. I asked and he doesn't make a holster for the LeMat.

So, since doing the three, starting at the beginning of summer, I have done several more. Might as well make sure my holsters fit like a glove! :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wet-forming a holster

Post by Grizz »

that looks very good. and it sounds like a barrel of fun to load and fire the revolver too.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Wow Jay, that looks awesome :mrgreen: I can't remember ever seeing a close up picture of a holstered LeMat before, great job....
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Very nicely done!!!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice, Jay! Are you just using your hands/fingers to "bone" the wet leather? I have used my hands, but also a piece of slick deer antler, although it has been a while.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:57 am Nice, Jay! Are you just using your hands/fingers to "bone" the wet leather? I have used my hands, but also a piece of slick deer antler, although it has been a while.
Hi Bill. Just my hands. I had an old toothbrush handy, as I used that (the handle end) back 30+ years ago. But I didn't need it. :D
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Nice job!

A friend that was a ceramic sculpture artist used to use blocks of clay to wet form fit his holsters and hold them tight while they dried, it worked pretty well.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

What about vacuum packing the wet leather?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've seen that done on the internet, and looks like it works well. I just decided to use my hands to shape it while sitting in the recliner watching TV with my wife. Worked well too! :D
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

However ya did it, it looks great. :D

-Stretch
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I make a lot of holsters. You done a good job on picking out that holster and wet forming it. Looks like it was made for it. One of these days I need to grab myself a Lemat.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks Rube! :D