ammo vs components

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

ammo vs components

Post by FLINT »

Hi all,

was going to put in a midway order and was going to get some dies and component bullets for a couple calibers I own but that ammo has become unavailable for several years now. I have once fired brass from ammo purchased back before the tribulation began..... I wanted to buy dies and bullets since I don't see ammo for these calibers coming back anytime soon.

However, LR primers are still unavailable, so components aren't going to be very useful without primers if they never come back.

would I be better off stocking up on loaded ammo for 30-30 and 30-06 as those are available, at least for now..........

what do you think
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ammo vs components

Post by Grizz »

FLINT wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:19 pm Hi all,

was going to put in a midway order and was going to get some dies and component bullets for a couple calibers I own but that ammo has become unavailable for several years now. I have once fired brass from ammo purchased back before the tribulation began..... I wanted to buy dies and bullets since I don't see ammo for these calibers coming back anytime soon.

However, LR primers are still unavailable, so components aren't going to be very useful without primers if they never come back.

would I be better off stocking up on loaded ammo for 30-30 and 30-06 as those are available, at least for now..........

what do you think
it's always good to have ammo on hand, I dollar cost averaged into ammo when walmart had good stuff at good prices. I even payed UP for 30-30 this year since I don't reload for it. I've never hunted with it. But I can now.

it pays to keep trolling for components, do you sign up for email notification? I do that with a disposable email address when I am looking for something. Last time was AK 47 mags to fit the AR receiver... it may help you find what you're looking for. kind of like a lottery for deer tags. sort of.
:)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Try Midsouth Shooters Supply- they list primers on sale regularly. If they have LRPs I couldn't tell you but it seems they have them more often as a whole.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Flint, I think it may be a good idea to buy some ammo. I have been looking for some LRP for a while and it looks like it will be a while before it becomes
readily available. I have enough to do me for sometime if I just use them for my hunting ammo and go easy on practice with those calibers.

Small rifle primers are getting more available around here. I bought 2 bricks of CCI SRP for $100 a brick a few days ago. I have read on other forums that
Academy and Sportsmans have been selling them quite a bit cheaper in some areas of the country.

JBowen
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My Local ACADEMY Sporting Goods has LR Primers and SR Primers IN STOCK that they keep on their counter right now. They are running about $8 per 100. If you have an Academy give them a call. I hate HAZMAT FEES.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since I first began reloading 50 years ago, I've always stocked up on powder and primers more than anything else. I'd never waste money on loaded ammo unless I had no brass, and wanted loaded ammo to shoot and get the brass.
It just doesn't make sense to me to spend the kind of money loaded ammo costs when I can make up far more ammo for the buck buying powder and primers. Now I also buy almost no bullets either, as I prefer to spend the money buying good molds, and casting bullets myself. I have some jacketed bullets for use in a few hunting rifles where they're a better choice. But since I'm pretty set for loaded hunting ammo, and getting old enough to maybe not hunt much longer, I'll probably begin selling all my excess jacketed bullets soon.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

we don't have an academy anywhere near where I live. I've actually never seen or been in one.

I haven't see a LR primers for sale anywhere locally for years. I occasionally see SR or SP primers, but only a few with like a one pack limit.

I guess I'll maybe take turns buying a little of each / everything as I can.

Things were so good for a couple years there a few years ago. now I wonder why that was..... hmmmm.... no idea.

The whole time I kept thinking, man if I was smart I would really stock up. but alas, I wasn't smart. oh well.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

My SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess): with the number of firearms being sold, commercially loaded ammunition will remain in short supply.

As for reloading, I think this maybe the beginning of the death knell for that aspect of the shooting sports. For years, the anti firearms groups have been trying to restrict ammunition sales and reloading to prevent firearms violence.

Seems from what I have seen and read, they want first want no reloading components sold (i.e. powder, bullets, primers, brass, dies, etc.), then slowly/incrementally place restrictions on over the counter ammunition sales-- background checks, sales limits on the amount sold, waiting periods, etc.

Have a feeling if the State and Federal governments place any/more restrictions on ammunition sales, the commercial ammunition suppliers will do a trade off. In other words, they will give tacit support or limited opposition to restrictions on commercial ammunition under the guise that shooters can still buy it, but will let reloading components be banned or taxed out of availability. And they will still make money, maybe even more with no reloading component sold. And dollars to donuts they will curry support from LEOs and agencies by giving them exemptions.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

seems to me that lead will be around, a projectile and a shot mold, and self-made BP would work as well as it did in 1770 . . .

it does mean that self-made cross bows will have more appeal

you know, plenty of springs around

and plenty of blacksmiths

might open new markets

idk