Funny thing about some guns.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Funny thing about some guns.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve been using the same load in the .45 Colt for a while now. 8 gr of Unique under a 250-270 grain lead bullet.

It’s not a barn burner but it shoots well and doesn’t lead in my rifles and revolvers. But I would not say that it shoots as accurately as I would wish.

I tried one of Brian Pearce’s favorite SAA loads over the past couple of days 7.1 gr of 231. Under a 255 gre RNFP it REALLY shots well in my SAA!!!! I mean it turns on! It’s a bit slower (770 fps and 1068 in the rifle) than the 8 gr Unique load but it probably doesn’t matter and it shoots to the sights exactly where my other loads shoot.

But that same load in my Ruger New Vaquero is not good at all and there’s a significant shift In point of impact. It shoots some 4-5 inches higher at 25 yards and does not group well at all.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Funny thing about some guns.

Following up on my experiment, I loaded some 270 gr SWC bulllets over 7.5 gr of TiteGroup. This is a much more powerful load (993 fps and 1217 in the rifle).

Still shoots to the sights of my SAA.

But the Ruger still prefers the 8 gr Unique load
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

welcome to the world of all guns shoot differently. Want a real head scratcher. I have 2 4 3/4 Vaqueros, 2 5 1/2 Vaquero Bisleys, a Uberti 1866 and a Turnbull 92 deluxe takedown and I need them ALL to shoot the same load to about the same spot for Cowboy Action Shooting. By the way, they are all in 44-40. I shoot 7 grains of unique with a 200 grain cast or 35 grains of FF Goex with a cast 200 grain in black powder. But it took a summer and lots of shooting to come up with the right combo.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

These two shoot well with a 200 gr LFP over 6.5 grains of Titegroup. If I up the load to 7.3 grains of Titegroup and a 250 gr. LFP, the POI shifts a little up and right and a little tighter group from the Ruger.
Shooting was offhand @ 20yds on a very cold day.
I haven't tried Titegroup in anything else yet, but it works well in my .45 Colts.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

The fascinating world of guns and ammo. Thankfully you folk up north have the chance to experiment and have ample scope to do so, from factory ammo of various brands and loadings to home brewed ammo using multitudinous options in components. We're fortunate here between the Canal and the Equator to occasionally have access to ONE factory load - and you never know what factory it will come from any more. Well, the shotgunners have more options, centerfire and rimfire solid projectile shooters on the other hand rarely have more than two options - take it or leave it.

And that's what I like about airguns here. Not being extremely regulated has provide more options for experiment. I've accumulated a fair selection of brands, weights, styles, etc of airgun pellets and can definitely see how different rifles or pistols prefer one over the others - with no apparent rhyme or reason. What amazes me is that up north folks tend to grab the cheapest ammo at chinamart and then complain that their airgun is not accurate. Of course many do that with rifles and pistols also (other than not being able to buy pistol fodder other than 22 rimfire at chinamart) and do not experiment with different loads/brands/configurations to see what shoots best in a particular firearm.

I loaded a selection of different 38 spl ammo a while back, but never put serious effort into comparing results. Wish I had the same options here as up north. Your results confirm that a bit of experimentation can result in notable improvements in accuracy.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Scott, have you tried Power Pistol yet? It's become a favorite of mine in 44 Special and 45 Colt - and this is coming from someone who used to swear by Unique in all things.

On a related note, some years ago I was lamenting to a friend my troubles in finding a 44 Special load that shot well in various revolvers. His reply was "Poor us, unable to find a suitable load for our multiple guns". First world problems I guess. :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Here is an old article from Dave Andrews who was the head Ballistician for Speer back in the 1970's and 80's. This is from Speer Reloading Manual 9 .. "WHY BALLISTICIANS GET GRAY" ... https://leverguns.com/articles/ballisticians.htm
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

samsi wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:24 pm Scott, have you tried Power Pistol yet? It's become a favorite of mine in 44 Special and 45 Colt - and this is coming from someone who used to swear by Unique in all things.

On a related note, some years ago I was lamenting to a friend my troubles in finding a 44 Special load that shot well in various revolvers. His reply was "Poor us, unable to find a suitable load for our multiple guns". First world problems I guess. :D
I haven’t done much with Power Pistol.

But I agree with you. First world problems.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

You never know which powder will work best until you try several. My Uberti 73 in 45 Colt likes Bullseye and a 200 grain RNFP and Trail Boss is a close second.
My Uberti 66 rifle in 38 Special does better with Titegroup over Unique and W231 and my Uberti 1871/72 prefers the W231.
My Rossi R92 plinker is a 125 grain truncated plated over 6 grain of Unique and that load works good in my 357 Blackhawk.
I won several matches of Cowboy Silhouette with 92 Win in 32-20 with a cast 115 grain RNFP and 4 grains of Unique. Never tried Titegroup in this one.
It's a challenge but fun trying to find the best load.

JBowen
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Oh the joy of reloading :)
Stuff like this makes it sooooo much fun, at least for me it does !
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Part of me loves to tinker and experiment. Part of me just wants a consistent load that I can count on to load a big batch every once in a while.

Part of me wants to take up my sixgun and 73 and wander whatever wild place I can find.
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

For what it's worth, a Winchester 'Reloading Components Catalog' (Tenth Edition, Revised 1989) lists only one load for the .45 Colt/Long Colt (p. 32): A 255gr Lead bullet, 7.1 gr of 231, for 875 fps (5-1/2" barrel), 13,000 C.U.P. I use that interchangeably with 8-8.5 gr of Unique, with no difference in accuracy or point of impact. The 231 meters a bit easier from an RCBS powder flow than Unique, but both work well, pistol or rifle.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I am completely stuck in a clay hog wallow when it comes to experimenting. I did it when I started hunting with a 44 mag. Lots of .1 grain charges, and skiff trips out of town and back, But once I found That load I never changed it. It did exactly the same thing every time a deer stepped into it.

I did the same with 7mm mag and 338 mag and 45/70 as my experiences directed. I have a thought about 45/70, but I'll likely never pursue it because I have enough of That load to last my life time and continue hereafter de-hogging the ranch.

I admire Y'all with your load developments and your knowledge of powders and various applications, and I learn a lot reading about your tests and results.

But sometimes think I am slacking. A lot. Heh. thanks for all the input, I copy some of the gems and file away for future reference. if I can find them. :lol:

thanks
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The only load I can consistently count on in various 45 Colt guns (rifle & pistol) is my RCBS 45-225-CAS bullet with SPG lube over ~32 grains of Goex Cartridge (which I'm quickly running out of)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!