SAA and shoulder holsters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

SAA and shoulder holsters

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Was just musing about my great-grandfather, a Texan, born in Burnet on Christmas Eve of 1855, his Daddy having been ambushed and murdered near San Saba the previous August. He died in Denver in 1931 and had been in numerous scrapes in the Texas years. Although a teacher and rancher, he had friends among the Rangers and helped out as needed according to the family lore. A late uncle told me that when he was a boy (raised in Arizona's Tonto Basin) he got to visit his grandpa in Denver, heard some of his stories from the source and gazed in awe as his grandpa showed him bullet scars in a leg, an arm and a crease on his head. At one point, I was told second-hand, he had volunteered to go collect a wanted member of a nearby family in west-central TX who "needed to be brought in." On the way in his buckboard, our fugitive got the drop and emptied his revolver, creasing GGF near his widow's peak. Our malign actor now out of bullets, it is said that GGF just shot him and loaded him into the wagon for the trip back to town. There were a lot of violent disputes and feuds in Texas in the post-war decades of the 19th century, and GGF allegedly decided it would be wise to move the family on up into the Panhandle to the Canadian River country where both tempers and temperatures were cooler. This would have been the mid-90s.
Back to my musings, my late Uncle Champ -- named for my GGF Champion Travis Traylor Jr. -- also told me that when he asked his GF if he still carried a gun, GF winked and opened his suitcoat to show the butt of a Colt in a shoulder holster.
To one who grew up in those times, I suspect carrying a sixgun somewhere was simply a part of getting dressed for the day. I do find myself wondering just which shoulder holster design my GGF would have found most practical and comfortable. I have only messed with recent-vintage Bianchis and 1911s and never gave them much of a trial as I found them quite a burden. It is tempting, however, to return to a design traditional to that era and see how a Colt sixgun feels carried so.
This shoulder holster business came to mind as I was reading an account of saddle and harness maker J.K Polk of this town -- Sweetwater -- working out a shoulder holster design described to him by Mr. J.W. Hardin. Polk sold his business to S.D. "Tio" Myres in 1898.

Here's a photo of the Traylor men taken in Denver probably about 1916 or 1917. Back row is Earl, born 1896, Abilene, died Denver 1920 from complications of mustard gas and shrapnel wounds suffered in France in 1918; then Burks, born 1891, USN veteran, died, Anacortes WA 1978; front row Earl, born Buffalo Gap, 1881, died Dalhart, 1918 of tuberculosis (you can see it in his eyes); the patriarch, Champion Travis Traylor Junior, born Burnet Dec. 24, 1855, died Denver 10 August 1931; and the youngest, Fentress, born in Roby, 1899, died Port Angeles, WA, 1960.

JimT
Shootist

Re: SAA and shoulder holsters

Post by JimT »

This is the style shoulder holster favored by some.
hplster.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

This is my favorite but it is not concealable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Jim, the one you're showing looks very fast. Interesting design....thanks!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

This was the holster Elpaso Saddlery made for John Wesley Hardin .I think his was smooth untooled leather. I had mine made back in 1994 with fish scale stamping.

I like shoulder holsters myself ,easily wore on the outside or inside of a coat. Unfortunately in a brain lapse I traded my 45 Colt SAA this was made for.Hope to replace the SAA soon.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pat. I see conflicting claims regarding this holster, and do not have an indisputable source for the actual chronology. I do not know if J.K. Polk ever had any connection with El Paso Saddlery.

https://www.oldtradingpost.com/old-west ... y%20Hardin.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

. :shock:
In the 1970’s, working in retail pharmacies on night shifts, my gun choices were between a Ruger Mark 1 in 22LR, or a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag.

I chose the obvious, so used a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster. It went under my little white pharmacy intern/extern coat.

Never had to pull it out though. Would have been expelled and fired and arrested for sure, as Ohio had zero concealed carry back then…
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have used the Bianchi X-15 since the 1980's. That is THE holster for my hunting sixguns .. the Linebaugh .45 Colt or the Bowen .41 Magnum. I wore it horseback for years... wore it under my coat hunting in the winter .. comfortable and easy to use.
Wearing it when I shot this turkey hen with my .45 Colt Blackhawk
16.jpg
Wearing it here when I took these 2 does with my .41 Magnum
deer2004.jpg
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, it was an X-15 I had for a while, too. What is your opinion of the spring-clip "skeleton" holster?
Here are a few pages from Rattenbury's incomparable book "Packing Iron" that show the skeleton design as well as several others.

Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Bill, The connection I believe was that S.D. Myers purchased the Polk Saddelry and all rights about the time your talking about late 1890's . Then they moved shop to El Paso and combined shops with the already present El Paso Saddelry which had been there since 1889.

Years later after Tio Sam Myers was gone they split off again and moved to Oklahoma I believe..

It's possible it was this purchase of rights and the combining of the two saddelry companies that the ownership in this style holster is claimed but I really don't know for sure.

When I ordered mine I had catalogs from several top makers of saddelry and kept coming back to the Hardin rig .
One day I will get another. 45 SAA to go with again.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:48 am Jim, it was an X-15 I had for a while, too. What is your opinion of the spring-clip "skeleton" holster?
Here are a few pages from Rattenbury's incomparable book "Packing Iron" that show the skeleton design as well as several others.
I have not used the "skeleton" design, but it looks comfortable and quick. Gary Reeder is selling the modern-made ones and those who have them like them. He is marketing them as a "Dangerous Game Holster." John Taffin was influential in getting Gary to have these made. I know John likes them.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have several X-15s and also a couple of X-2100 shoulder holsters. I believe the X-2100s are the same as the x-15s except that they're lined. Very well made and comfortable, I've had mine for decades.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

JimT wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:08 am
Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:48 am Jim, it was an X-15 I had for a while, too. What is your opinion of the spring-clip "skeleton" holster?
I have not used the "skeleton" design, but it looks comfortable and quick. Gary Reeder is selling the modern-made ones and those who have them like them. He is marketing them as a "Dangerous Game Holster." John Taffin was influential in getting Gary to have these made. I know John likes them.
https://reedercustomguns.com/informatio ... sories.htm

928-527-4100
928-526-3313
m.A.g.a. !