VA Letter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

VA Letter

Post by jeepnik »

I know we have a lot of vets on this forum. I just received a letter regarding the PACT Act. This has to do with compensation for exposure to thing's like Agent Orange, Radiation & Asbestos. Apparently just serving in some areas including SEA we now have presumptive exposure to this stuff

Anyone else get a letter.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: VA Letter

Post by Griff »

I seldom read stuff from the VA. My ship was supposedly listed prior to this Act for exposure to Agent Orange, but mysteriously removed shortly thereafter. Regardless, none of the skin cancers I've had removed qualify... known be caused by AO. And the fact that our ship was nothing but Asbestos insulated, still remains an "unproved" cause of my skin cancer. They seem to blame it on me being a fair skinned, redhead who grew up along Coastal So Calif... Seems prejudiced to me... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

This PACT Act seems to modify eligibility. I'm having a much smarter lawyer type person look into it. The good thing is it also has provisions that might cover my kids as well. This appears only to be for physical exposure to toxins. They never really did anything for my youngest when he had his deamons after three trips to Iraq.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I got one too, however, I'm already getting disability payments due to the 'lead exposure' I received while in VN.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My uncle was in Nam, construction battalion- spent most of his time on a dozer. He didn't talk much about his time there but he did say he was in the AO all the time, literally having it air dropped on him. Emphysema, diabetes, Parkinson and lord knows what else the stuff caused for him and others.
Gentlemen, thank you for your service! You have my undying RESPECT!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Speaking from personal experience, have a veteran’s service organization -- Disabled American Veterans, VFW, etc., hold power of attorney to monitor and review your claim(s).

Since March 1968, I have been a recipient of VA compensation, medical care, and prosthetic devices. The DAV holds my power of attorney to represent me and review/monitor my claims. As a result, my claims have always been processed in a timely manner. Any issues were resolved by the DAV.

The VA employed me as a claims adjudicator from August 1975 to September 1977. During that brief employment I saw how the DAV and other veterans service groups successfully monitored and reviewed the veteran’s claim(s).
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I agree that the DAV are the ones to sort this out. They are also maybe the best advocates for applying for disability, and seeing the claim through to the end.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I guess since I've never used my GI benefits or gone to a VA hospital, I'm not on the mailing list? At least I've never gotten a letter from them since I discharged in the early 70's. My oldest daughter is a case worker for the VA, and she keeps telling me I should take part and benefit from things the VA offers, but I've gotten along without for 50 years now.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

You might still get one. I got mine last month but a neighbor just got his today. BTW, it ain't just for SEA. Guam or American Somoa, Johnston Atoll, Enewetak Atoll, and Thule AFB, Greenland are all on the list.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are