A little .22lr fun this morning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

A little .22lr fun this morning

Post by 2ndovc »

Had a little time off for more medical stuff. Apts went quickly so I headed to the range for a bit.
I recently bought a small collection from a guy to get the one I wanted, but in the mix were a Ruger MK II and MKIII.
The MKII is a standard fixed sight in decent shape. Minute of bowling pin accurate at 25 yds. Not a bad pistol, but not sure if I'll keep it or not. The hidden gem is the MK III. Once I settled down and took my time, I put five rounds into just over an inch group at 25 yds.
Ammo was 36 Gr, Federal HPs that I've had for some time. I'd like to see what some good target ammo does before I adjust the sights. Not a huge fan of the Hogue grips, but they will do for now.

Forgot to add for YK. It was 67 degrees at 10am and 73% humidity. :lol:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JimT
Shootist

Re: A little .22lr fun this morning

Post by JimT »

Good shootin! Nothing much beats shooting .22's.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Mark-I was my first handgun as a kid, and my AMT 'clone' of the Ruger Mark-II in stainless with a heavy barrel is one of the most fun handguns to shoot ever. I put weird sights on it, but they work for ME, which is what counts. The rear Williams FPRS caused a need to raise the front Patridge style blade (a sight type which I dislike anyway), so I drilled out the center of a roll-pin, filed the grooved-side flat, and soldered it on top of the blade. If something is visible in the 'aperture' of the front sight, and that is centered in the rear 'ghost ring', it will shortly have a 22-caliber hole in it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Well done, always have a .22 around to alleviate boredom. I got my first MK1 for $40 near Ravenna when I was a kid
It is not the critic who counts
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not much chance of getting bored around here. More of a case of stress relief. I need to take the .22s out more often. I had a plan to take them all out this summer and get them on paper, just for fun. Well, this is as far as I've gotten so far and it's already August!

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya cant beat time with a 22 !
The Mk2s are great guns, mine is a SS 10" that I fit with a muzzle break, D&T for weaver base and wears a 2x scope, action job with 2lb trigger. I would use it for under 100 yd prairie dogs. Made a good cat blaster too !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice shooting.
Had me some 22 varmint shooting after work yesterday.
On the way home I shot a crow off hand.
Paced it off at 209 paces, yes I was shocked also! Purley guessed the hold over.
Fiocchi sub sonic.
The crows beak is pointing to the firing point.
IMG_20230801_201220.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Nice shootin'!

That Federal 36 gr. HP is my standard go to round in 22.

I too have had quite good accuracy out of Ruger Mk IIs with
that ammunition.

Works well in everything, and has very, very few misfires compared
to the Remington Golden Bullet stuff.

Good woodchuck and squirrel medicine as well.

-Stretch
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice!

Those surprise shots are the best. I took a shot at a woodchuck years ago, that when I walked off the distance I had counted 430 steps. I had been shooting my Sako .222 a LOT in those days, but was still surprised when I saw the little pink mist when I hit the bugger.
We had horses at the time so the woodchucks we "shoot on sight" in those days.. Funny how things change twenty plus years later. I have a woodchuck that lives along the creek where I live now and I leave him be. He's not hurting anything and just going about his day, whoodchuckin'
Crows are a different story. Can't stand those buggers!

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

We would all do well to shoot more .22s.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Jason, your picture and story about the Ruger MKIII moved me to order one for myself. I had a MKI years ago but sold it to a guy in our shooting club at the time who wanted a .22 auto for bullseye shooting. Like with so many other guns, I've always regetted selling it. Mine should arrive tomorrow. It has a 22/45 grip frame which I've never handled before.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:29 pm Forgot to add for YK. It was 67 degrees at 10am and 73% humidity. :lol:

jb 8)
Sure Jason, rub it in! :lol:

That's a sweet little shooter! :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:24 pm
2ndovc wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:29 pm Forgot to add for YK. It was 67 degrees at 10am and 73% humidity. :lol:

jb 8)
Sure Jason, rub it in! :lol:

That's a sweet little shooter! :D
Couldn't help it. :D

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Went out early today to try to get my yardwork in before the heat and humidity really set it. I live in a neighborhood, so don't like to start any gas-powered tools (or anything that makes any noise) before 9:00am on the weekend to allow my neighbors to sleep in. It was already bloody humid, and got hot really quick. Oh well, tis' the season (we call it "summer", not "global warming"...) :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I spent the day wishing I was shooting, only thing I was doing was cussing as I was taking my solar hot h2o tank apart, then as I came out of the basement I realized it was HOT in the house! Hmm, AC thermostat set at 70, 82° air coming out of the ducts. Well the condenser has krapped out!!
Gotta wait until Tues when the HVAC guy can get here. Seems to think it's the capacitor. I'm going to try and get a spec on it and I'll get a couple for the future krapping out !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:17 pm I spent the day wishing I was shooting, only thing I was doing was cussing as I was taking my solar hot h2o tank apart, then as I came out of the basement I realized it was HOT in the house! Hmm, AC thermostat set at 70, 82° air coming out of the ducts. Well the condenser has krapped out!!
Gotta wait until Tues when the HVAC guy can get here. Seems to think it's the capacitor. I'm going to try and get a spec on it and I'll get a couple for the future krapping out !
I had to replace a capacitor on my unit a few years ago. It was blown out like a frozen beer can. The guy at the supply house recommended a slightly larger one and haven't had an issue since. You're right though, should pick up a spare or two.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Why are you having Winter temperatures, Jason?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

piller wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:11 pm Why are you having Winter temperatures, Jason?
It's been s strange summer for sure. We've only had a few 90 degree days this year, but we have had unusual amount of violent weather. Seems like every week we get wind, hail and or heavy rains. We're coming up on what is usually a slow time of year for insurance claims. I sure hope so, we're all pretty worn out.

jb 8)