another knife topic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

another knife topic

Post by Grizz »

FWIW, here is a supplier of knife and tool steels > https://newjerseysteelbaron.com/ < where you can compare steel information and costs for raw product . . .

It explains why we see a lot of knives made from files and leaf springs!

Por ejemplo, a length of the stainless I like, .265 × 2.5 × 48 in will make around 6 knives, at a material cost of 15$ ea, plus tax and shipping, and for highest quality heat treat, sent out to a commercial heat treat company that will heat the metal in a vacuum chamber, ramp-up the temperatures, hold, and ramp-down, customized to the exact requirements, then cryo treat, then temper to the requested hardness for IDK exactly but it's around 5$ ea if you get a quantity break, plus shipping, insurance, and taxes.

this produces a blade that maximizes the inherent qualities bred into the steel at the foundry . . .

this steel came from NJ knife . . .
blade-shapes-002.jpeg
it's a hobby, and I'm not over it yet . . .

grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: another knife topic

Post by Tycer »

Love this!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Tycer wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:29 amLove this!
Thank you very much. :) I just realized that I could call the heat treatment I described as " GAIN of FUNCTION "
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. Been wanting to explore this.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks has been a long time since I have forged a knife but I have replaced all the gear to start.
It is not the critic who counts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When I was horseshoeing I made a couple of knives, only one for myself. a 14" Arkansas Toothpick. I made them all out of my worn out hoof rasps and shaped with a coal forge. The toothpick is still serviceable if I bothered to sharpen it... but it's mainly a costume piece for when I could still fit in my buckskins! I should buy a propane forge and begin again...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:47 pm When I was horseshoeing I made a couple of knives, only one for myself. a 14" Arkansas Toothpick. I made them all out of my worn out hoof rasps and shaped with a coal forge. The toothpick is still serviceable if I bothered to sharpen it... but it's mainly a costume piece for when I could still fit in my buckskins! I should buy a propane forge and begin again...
Do you have fotos of those blades? Would be great to see them. . .

I think coal is far hotter than propane unless you have the forged in fire three burner setup. With one burner in a good forge enclosure I can't get to welding temperature on big metal. I can weld nails :wink:. I have used hard wood charcoal and that makes a good fire, but no welding experience with it. I plan to make some laminated billets, 3 layers and 5 layers, to learn about it.

do you have a farrier type forge?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

After I got injured and couldn't shoe professionally, I sold my forge to one of my farrier school instructor's new students, along with most of my tools. With the injury, I wasn't sure I could ever shoe again. I'd been thru the police academy and that helped, but time was the great healer... When I moved to TX and acquired a couple of horses, I keep them trimmed except for when working them... and only cold shod them. I should've replace the forge long before now.

The only knife I've kept is my toothpick, all the others were gifts to family and good friends. But, my pony shoe belt buckles were the most welcome, so simple to make, and when chromed, nearly impervious to any abuse!
DSCN1521[1].JPG
The guard, handle & cap were purchased... I'm sure I could never had done that nice of work in my youth, (way too impatient).
DSCN1522[1].JPG
This one was my Dad's, made in 1974 as a Christmas gift. Made for a 1-¾ belt. Came back to me after he passed. I've never worn it. I should probably turn it over to my son.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:24 am
DSCN1521[1].JPG
The guard, handle & cap were purchased... I'm sure I could never had done that nice of work in my youth, (way too impatient).

DSCN1522[1].JPG
This one was my Dad's, made in 1974 as a Christmas gift. Made for a 1-¾ belt. Came back to me after he passed. I've never worn it. I should probably turn it over to my son.
Thanks! That's a KNIFE :!: It looks handy and husky at the same time.

And the buckle looks great. I can't wear big ones 'cause it's an interference fit . . :roll:

I love hand-made things because they have a narrative . . .

you know a forge can be a trench with a tweere and some mesquite charcoal in it. just sayin' . . .
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I remember when Cold Steel was a young company and Ross Seyfried was still writing for "Guns and Ammo", Lynn Thompson begged Ross Seyried to try out his knives on one of the safaris he was guiding. Seyfried insisted that the Cold Steel Pro Hunter and other knives that Thompson gave him were no comparison to the "fine knives" he was accustomed to using when skinning and doing critical caping work. Seyfried finally relented, took along several Cold Steel knives and wrote about them in later issues. It was obvious that he used the Cold Steel knives hard, probably intent on proving they were not as good as his. But they didn't break, held an edge through remarkably long and hard use. He said that he used them to cut through and pry apart Cape Buffalo leg joints and never had a failure. He also implied that the blades, which were high carbon steel developed a fine patina because he never cleaned them. He concluded that he was well pleased with them despite them being overbuilt and "clunky".
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Walt wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:16 pm...being overbuilt and "clunky".
As good a reason as any other to dislike something... Same way I feel about Ruger revolvers... Flame suit on!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

shoot, overbuilt and clunky is my operations manual
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Griff, I assume you like Colt single actions. The Ruger New Vaqueros are every bit as svelte as SAAs. They are neither overbuilt nor clunky.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Walt wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:38 pmGriff, I assume you like Colt single actions. The Ruger New Vaqueros are every bit as svelte as SAAs. They are neither overbuilt nor clunky./
Aye, they "LOOK" the part... then you pick one up and encounter that FAT trigger! LOL!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!