Any new Blackhawks in the crowd?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Any new Blackhawks in the crowd?

Post by Oldncrusty »

Been reading about the latest iteration of the Blackhawk making appearances. Lo and behold, I spy one today at a local. I really neeeed this one since it's a .357/9 convertible. The 6 1/2 bbl, trigger in the white, and blueing by Krylon have me at a standoff. Wondering if any one has given one a workout, or can report on fit/finish?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Any new Blackhawks in the crowd?

Post by GunnyMack »

Not seen one but I'm with you, these types of guns NEED real blueing! These multi colored six shooters look fake, only thing missing is the orange muzzle.
I know these new coating are better for wear resistance, better rust protection etc but yuck to the color schemes.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I was blissfully ignorant that this was a thing!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:39 amI was blissfully ignorant that this was a thing!
:lol: :lol: I like how you put that! Since there's no pictures, I'll remain so!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Sorry if my engaging in hyperbole led to confusion. I did not mean to infer that the new Blackhawks don't have "real" blueing, or that they have the same treatment as the Wrangler. Only that it doesn't "look like" real blueing to me. More like blacking. This is nothing new.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There’s not a Ruger out there built since 1949 that you can wear out in your lifetime. Get what you like and I believe most of us here are tradionalists that like blue and walnut…..while I like my single action Colts, I’d feel much better with a Ruger if stranded in the bush.

Plastic stocks and weird finishes are not for me….unless it’s an AR……wood looks terrible on them.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:39 am I was blissfully ignorant that this was a thing!
+1
It is not the critic who counts
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'm curious about the blueing criteria Y'all are discussing. Looking at western movies there don't seem to be any real blue blued guns. How blue were the guns that won the west? Did real-life frontiersmen and cow hands pick their guns based on the blueing? Did they trade them on new ones after the cattle drive when the blueing was holster worn? Some photos of the older guns appear to be in the white, from wear and fading blue.

I suspect that the real cow hands, and ranchers, and farmers, and outlaws too, if they could have, would have switched to a powdered coating in a heartbeat. Seems to me the major wear and tear on finish was due to constant disassembly and scrubbing the bp tars out of the guns. Imagine trying to stay awake long enough to do that before your watch is called?

Western movies not only don't show the usage of precious drinking water for cleaning bp guns, they also ignore reloading of the seventeen shot revolvers.

My outdoor guns are stainless, and my beautifully blued ones stay indoors and out of harm's way . . .

curiously, grizz
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:01 pm My outdoor guns are stainless, and my beautifully blued ones stay indoors and out of harm's way . . .

curiously, grizz
YEP
It is not the critic who counts
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

OP: The are called "Blackhawk" because they look black. If they were blue they would be called "Bluehawk"!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:01 pm I'm curious about the blueing criteria Y'all are discussing. Looking at western movies there don't seem to be any real blue blued guns. How blue were the guns that won the west? Did real-life frontiersmen and cow hands pick their guns based on the blueing? Did they trade them on new ones after the cattle drive when the blueing was holster worn? Some photos of the older guns appear to be in the white, from wear and fading blue.

I suspect that the real cow hands, and ranchers, and farmers, and outlaws too, if they could have, would have switched to a powdered coating in a heartbeat. Seems to me the major wear and tear on finish was due to constant disassembly and scrubbing the bp tars out of the guns. Imagine trying to stay awake long enough to do that before your watch is called?

Western movies not only don't show the usage of precious drinking water for cleaning bp guns, they also ignore reloading of the seventeen shot revolvers.

My outdoor guns are stainless, and my beautifully blued ones stay indoors and out of harm's way . . .

curiously, grizz
Exactly- for the movies to be closer to the truth the guns should have looked NEWER than they did. They were after all new for the time period. It wasn't until they were scrubbed, holster/ scabbard worn that the future generation started to covet these guns. So as usual hollyweird screwed up ! :lol:

These new coatings are great but I don't like 2 tone sixguns, just don't look right to me. Just saying make them all 1 color - black,green, tan whatever but ill stick to blued. In school we did Parkerizing and moly coating( great for aluminum) as well as hot blue. The parkerizing is a good coating and it could then be set to hot blue- best of both worlds at the time. These new coatings blown them out of the water.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Add me to the 'blissfully ignorant' congregation.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gunny, is it not true the modern guns are not blued in the old sense but a different process?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rust blue is a different process than hot salts bluing used today.
Also ' Belgian ' blue , used for soft soldered SxS & O/U shotguns. Which if done correctly gives the best color in my book.
Can also heat blue but timing is everything!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Not sure if you mean New Model Super Blackhawk or just a newer one.

Mine was made in 1997 but it is a New Model Bisley. I very much like it. Just shot it for the first time yesterday.

https://youtu.be/IgxODZ7IcIg
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I really enjoy Bisley-framed Rugers as well. I have three of them; a .44 mag, a .45 Colt and a medium frame .44 spl. I had the barrels on the first two cut down to 5 1/2" and the .44 spl which is a flattop came
that way..

Thanks for the link to your video.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Walt wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:10 pm I really enjoy Bisley-framed Rugers as well. I have three of them; a .44 mag, a .45 Colt and a medium frame .44 spl. I had the barrels on the first two cut down to 5 1/2" and the .44 spl which is a flattop came
that way..

Thanks for the link to your video.

I am hoping to build a custom .44 spl Blackhawk.