Honoring ancestors

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Honoring ancestors

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ya know, we go through this life pretty much blind to the life experiences of virtually every other human being except for glimpses into the hearts of our immediate family and dearest friends. It seems a disservice not only to those we share these space/time coordinates with while still alive, and a tragedy that we know so little about the lives that have gone before ours -- even a generation or two back.
I do sloppy family history research in starts and spurts, scribbling nearly indecipherable notes on 3X5 cards and which will make no sense to my survivors, should they even be vaguely interested.
When you do some of this searching, it becomes immediately apparent how perishable a species we are -- and how much more fragile are the traces we leave behind. I doubt there is a human who ever lived to whom the thought did not occur that "gee I wish I had asked grandma more about that ..."
It was in this frame of mind on the recent Memorial Day thinking back on war casualties in my family that memories of my Mom's mom bubbled to the surface, and I remember her sitting on the couch in her apartment in Medford, Oregon, 50 years ago and mentioning that her favorite brother (of the four she had) had died as a result of wounds suffered in World War I.
I dug out some old family photos, and there he was, Earl Dewitt Traylor, a handsome young man, reserved, with a kind face. And there was another grainy photo of him in his wrinkled Doughboy's uniform, 1911 holstered at his side, his fists clinched in standing at attention, but with a look in his eyes that seems to say, "I have seen things ... horrible things." My grandmother had written on the back: "Died November 3, 1920," of war injuries. A young man now gone for more than a century, dying without issue -- I wanted to know more.
Google and the Internet have been inestimable gifts to genealogists. It did not take long to find his grave at Fairmount Cemetery in Denver using the Find-a-Grave search engine. Toggling from there to Familysearch.org I was able to pull up more traces, census mentions, (He was born in Abilene) and a file card kept by the Veterans Administration that gave valuable details: Uncle Earl's serial number, and the unit he served in -- Company A of the 342nd Machine Gun Battalion, 89th Division, American Expeditionary Forces.
And when I typed in the unit information and ran a search, lo and behold, up came the official company history in its entirety on the Missouri Secretary of State's site in the Missouri Digital History Collection. I couldn't believe my good fortune, and as I read further, a mystery was solved. In the photo of Uncle Earl in uniform, there seemed to be what I thought was an imperfection in the print appearing as a dark spot on his left cheek.
The company history says the unit's baptism of fire came on August 7th, 1918, when the 342nd was tasked to relieve another machine gun battalion in front-line trenches near Xivray and Seichesprey, France. The first night, at 2 a.m., they took a tremendous pounding from German mustard gas shells, with many of Company A badly burned; Uncle Earl's gas wounds apparently were less serious, but that "imperfection" in his photo is exactly what a mustard gas burn looks like -- a large, puffy blister filled with liquid just under the skin. So the photo was most likely taken later in August of 1918 somewhere southeast of Verdun in northeastern France.
The 89th was reassigned relief duty around the region and saw 32 straight days of frontline duty and twenty days of heavy fighting in the final push of the war. On the night of November 10th, the battalion was unloading supplies to support two Marine battalions when they took heavy shelling about 9:30 p.m. Among the casualties was PFC Earl D. Traylor. He was finally discharged on June 12, 1919.
I am going through the hoops required by the state of Colorado to obtain a copy of his death certificate.
Even with this information, I still have but a faint sketch of the life of Uncle Earl -- and of the sacrifice he made of his youth, his innocence and his life in service to his country. No one really cares except for me, my brothers and my surviving cousins.
Somehow I find that reason enough to have made the effort. To be able to say, Uncle Earl, you are not forgotten.
His grave marker of pink granite in Denver simply says "Earl D. Traylor, 1896-1920, a soldier." We are going to see if the VA will replace the marker with the standard white marble headstone issued for the graves of all servicemen and women, with Uncle Earl's dates and the unit he served in. To me, a soldier deserves no less.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Honoring ancestors

Post by gamekeeper »

Well done Bill.
The questions that we failed to ask our parents and grandparents when we were younger are now very frustrating when it comes to family history. The internet certainly makes a huge difference in investigating some of the unknown details.
Great photos too.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aye, well done Bill. I can remember my Step Dad's Mother prattling on about her family as she did her beloved kitchen chores in preparing food for the family (both my parents worked). I can barely remember snippets of those conversations I believe she was having with me... but I sure wished I'd paid more attention. The internet IS a great boon to amatuer (and I assume professional), genealogists, but can also be very frustrating. Good to see that you found some good info. Some of the tings we might learn, we might wished we hadn't... but it's all good IMO.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Amen Bill, he does deserve to be remembered better, as do all the others.

One of Dads uncles was lost in WWI , I don't know the details other than he was in the navy... submarine I think. The family never spoke of him. They are all gone now.

My mothers father was with Teddy on San Juan hill. He survived to become a Justice of the Peace, my grandmother married him when she was 18( she was able to get off the reservation!)-he was in his seventies! Yes he was virile at that age, was 82 when mom was born and she has a baby brother! I wish I had spent the time with my grandmother learning more of the family history and the Washoe language!

Rest in peace to all our fallen military.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Great family history Bill! I'm always interested in history in general, but until the last couple decades I never really searched out much of my own. My mom's side of the family has roots back to around the time the pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, and appears the One of my ancestors was the namesake of King's Valley near Corvallis, and another deeded 500 acres to become the city of Portland, and King's Heights, and the area the Civic Stadium is built on was part of the land gift.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

His story is so like many others. My paternal grandfather was also gassed in France. With damaged lungs he was hospitalized at Fort Leavenworth.

Fort Leavenworth was ground zero for the Spanish flu. He died in early 1919. Wounded and in some cases already dying men were no match for the flu. They died by the hundreds.

Like men from other wars since they died from their injuries received in battle but after the war so are not counted as war dead. It seems every war brings with it some new malady that strikes down the participants even decades later. Some physical are obvious. Others psychological that remain hidden until it’s too late.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

My grandfather (Thomas Victor Price ; 1889 - 1966), whom I'm named after, fought with the 139th Field Artillery on the Western Front. He would never talk about the war, except he did say once that he lost friends as "shock troops".
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for sharing that. It was inspiring. I think we all have ancestors we wish we knew more about. I like to think that when we find something out and think about it and learn from it that maybe that ancestor is looking down on us from somewhere, and appreciating the fact that someone 100 years or more later, actually paid attention. .
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, thanks. Now that I am getting old myself, I wish I had paid MUCH MORE ATTENTION.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Nice write up Bill. It does look like mustard gas burn doesnt it. My great uncle took severe wounds in WW1 basically had part of his his a** and the stuff in front all taken off by shrapnel He spent half a year laying face down in hospital while it healed. Lived about 20 years after the war, died unmarried of course. I heard all the stories about how tough he was and pictured this hardened square jawed fella. An older relative showed me a picture one day of him in his uniform. He was tiny, young, looked like a kid wearing his dads clothes to be honest, it really hit me.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’m only here today because of them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scott, you must be so proud of your heritage. It's surely no wonder where the LEO bent came from, but do you still favor a Lone Star? 8)
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:11 pm Scott, you must be so proud of your heritage. It's surely no wonder where the LEO bent came from, but do you still favor a Lone Star? 8)
I don’t drink much but yes, I still favor Lone Star beer.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

i enjoyed reading it greatly. A hero remembered. Good on you for doing the work to find the history...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:23 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:11 pm Scott, you must be so proud of your heritage. It's surely no wonder where the LEO bent came from, but do you still favor a Lone Star? 8)
I question your Texan heritage. Now don't get upset, let me explain.

Eons ago I was stationed in Spain and one of my fellow Staff Sergeant and he was a True Texan. His beer of choice was Pearl. But obviously that wasn't available at Torrejon AFB. But it seems that True Texans have a network to supply their needs. On a regular basis a C-141, KC-135, C-5, or some other aircraft (once even a C-140, look that one up) would land and we'd get a call from the tower that it was making a "delivery". So into the Rescue truck we'd hop, drive out and meet the aircraft as it parked and then take "delivery" of his packages. Yep, you guessed it, several cases of Pearl.

So based on the above I know that True Texans drink Pearl.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One Great Uncle, born in Rawlins, Kansas, was a train engineer. Albert Wyant was a victim of mustard gas. He lived several more years, but was never healthy. Died in 1921.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

jeepnik wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:24 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:23 pm
I question your Texan heritage. Now don't get upset, let me explain.
There’s some more to being a Texan than a man’s choice of beer. It is interesting that people who are not Texans do not seem to be as associated with their stares as Texans are. And I wonder if this will change as more and more people move to Texas?
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Hope the VA does you right! Very nice story you got, every right to be proud of his service.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”