The words of Wyatt Earp

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

The words of Wyatt Earp

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

This is worth listening to.

https://youtu.be/7a249qHxh90
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: The words of Wyatt Earp

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Scott….same holds true to this day…..”he who hesitates, eats lead.”

I’m glad I’ve never been in anything like that but I believe I’d be better today than when young and trying too hard to be fast.

Two turn-of-the-century Colts, both in 45 Long Colt, modified at the time for gun fighting. Note the lowered hammer spur on the single action…..this spur makes for a shorter action, put the thumb on the hammer and “let her slip”. —-006.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Awesome. Thanks!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Good stuff all right. Around six minutes in, Wyatt makes a comment that reminds me of a widely-worshipped gun writer who liked to pose ... :wink:
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I take everything he said with a grain of salt. There is no doubt he and his brothers were brave men but W.E. wanted to be famous and portrayed himself accordingly. Not that what he said was wrong just my observation
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:02 pm This is worth listening to.

https://youtu.be/7a249qHxh90
This is interesting as well
https://truewestmagazine.com/article/wy ... ng-moment/
It was a moment Wyatt Earp wanted to forget. He was lounging in a Wichita saloon on January 9, 1876. His pistol slipped out of the holster, hit the floor and went off. Nobody was hurt, but Earp—on the police force was a bit embarrassed. It made the papers that week.

Earp later confirmed the incident to his biographer Stuart Lake—but asked the writer to keep it out of print. Lake complied. Instead, he quoted Earp as saying professionals would never carry a live round under the hammer of a single-action revolver.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’ll admit that I have had a negligent discharge. It was when I was a young man and it wasn’t made public. But that doesn’t necessarily make my opinion or experience less valid. I learned from it.

I’ll bet I’m not the only one.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

[/quote]

It was a moment Wyatt Earp wanted to forget. He was lounging in a Wichita saloon on January 9, 1876. His pistol slipped out of the holster, hit the floor and went off. Nobody was hurt, but Earp—on the police force was a bit embarrassed. It made the papers that week.

Earp later confirmed the incident to his biographer Stuart Lake—but asked the writer to keep it out of print. Lake complied. Instead, he quoted Earp as saying professionals would never carry a live round under the hammer of a single-action revolver.
[/quote]

And thus an opportunity for Bill Ruger to improve revolver safety a couple orders of magnitude. KUDOS to Bill :!: :D

grizz
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Wyatt was just there making sure that the fellers paying for his wife's time upstairs didn't go over the time paid for. Kind of surprised he didn't have mother-of-pearl handled revolvers.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I would suggest that if you want advice on gun fighting “No Second Place Winner” is what you should read. I just found this perspective interesting.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bill Jordan still has my respect!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:23 am I’ll admit that I have had a negligent discharge. It was when I was a young man and it wasn’t made public. But that doesn’t necessarily make my opinion or experience less valid. I learned from it.

+1 :oops:
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:23 am I’ll admit that I have had a negligent discharge. It was when I was a young man and it wasn’t made public. But that doesn’t necessarily make my opinion or experience less valid. I learned from it.

+1 Messed up the zipper of an expensive sleeping bag! :oops:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My negligent discharge was on a cold, damp morning letting the hammer "gently down" on a Model 97 Winchester pump. Dad and my two younger brothers sure jumped! :shock:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:35 pm Bill Jordan still has my respect!
Bill Jordan’s negligent discharge killed a government employee and led to his having to leave the Border Patrol. If it were not for good friends like Harlan Carter he may have slipped into obscurity.

That doesn’t diminish him in my eyes and I was happy to know him.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Grizz wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:10 am

[/quote]

And thus an opportunity for Bill Ruger to improve revolver safety a couple orders of magnitude. KUDOS to Bill :!: :D

grizz
[/quote]
Yep