Health and the 'carnivore' diet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Health and the 'carnivore' diet

Post by AJMD429 »

This is a good interview of Dr. Peter Attia by Jordan Peterson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-vZMmoZ2SI

It explains a lot that I try to convey to my patients on diet, activity, postponing - or even reversing - the main problems associated with aging, and the cardiac diasease, neurologic disease, and cancers we are at risk for.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Health and the 'carnivore' diet

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Thank you. I’ve been curious about this.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i thought we are omnivores. ? . . . is there a transcript of the interview ? or a time stamp of the basic point ?

thanks
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

About a year ago I decided that I either had to change my eating habits or just give up. I tried dieting and found that I had to do at least 2 diets at the same time to get enough to eat! But I found a complete change of eating habits resulted in changes in me!
14. March 22_23.JPG
In 11 months I went from 265 + pounds (40 + inch waist .. size 3X Large shirts) to 194 lbs. (35 inch waist size X Large shirts)
This photo is a couple days ago.
6-28-23.jpg
I find I have more energy .. my mind is clearer ... my knees don't hurt - well, except the one I boogered up years ago ... my back don't hurt. I found that belly fat is The Hardest to get rid of but it's going slowly.

I do intermittent fasting and about once a month or so I do either a 24 hour or 36 hour fast.

At 77 I am in much better condition than I was at 70!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

In 2015 I was 225 lbs (at a hair over 6 feet), out of shape and in constant back pain. Had an incident with my back that landed me in bed for a month waiting for a spinal injection in November 2014. My doctor recommended I try a reduced carb diet. She said she was jealous because men get to eat everything they like: meat, cheese, meat, meat, meat... Well, I started it right after the holidays at the beginning of 2015, and went hard-core with no carbs. I probably ate less than 15 carbs a day. Dropped 10 pounds the first week and 40 pounds in 4 months. Over the course of 14 months I got down to 158 lbs (32/32 pants), which was honestly too low (though those idiotic weight charts thought that was just about perfect :roll: ), especially for my "side gig" leading our church's security team. I ate whatever volume I wanted, just not carbs. I also started walking, getting 20,000 - 30,000 steps in per day.

Well, I'm back up to 190 pounds, over the last three years. Part was being home much more due to COVID (Mrs. YK is an awesome good and she does not make carb-free meals). Part of it was that I was tired of not enjoying things I really like (life is short), and part honestly was drinking again (in moderation) as it is one of the few things that cuts the constant pain in my back. I now average 15,000 - 20,000 steps a day, so I'm staying fit and flexible (well, as flexible as my back will allow). And now the medical charts say I am overweight.

Jim, you are 100% correct. Getting rid of that darn gut-fat is the WORST!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

FRESH food….nothing out of a can and rarely processed food….fresh meat right off the hoof from the Amish. 4 eggs every morning…..

My doc tells me I’m in the best shape of any of his senior citizens…….but my cholesterol is high and meds don’t do nothing but make me itch or annoy my joints so I take nothing….

I shoveled 6,000 pounds of fill dirt today out of my trailer and never took a break

No one lives forever and no matter how well you take care of yourself you can’t stop the aging process and 80 something is 80 something and your gonna be weak and unenthusiastic so until I get that age…if I do…..I’m gonna eat fresh food and do physical work then one day, like my dad, I’ll drop over dead……….and all my problems will be over.😎
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, I eat what I want, usually the good stuff, practice chiro in my office 5 days a week, play golf in the afternoons, 283 days last year. Weight steady about 178. My wife has been my chiro since 85. In my 76th year. Head on ten years ago, in a hospital bed 2 months, 8 out of the office and off golf. Multiple surgeries and metal implants: screws, a plate (second one, I broke the first) and a rod. Double cataract surgery 6 weeks ago. Can see again.

Keep on keeping on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I can’t just eat what I want anymore. I sit behind a desk wayyyyy too much and I know it. This discussion was really interesting.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I let myself get too fat and am taking ozempic to battle it.

Jason and I are both insurance adjusters and he can attest that it can involve physically active days in all temperatures with lots of walking and climbing activity —- but like Scott, I recently started doing consulting work that is 90% behind a desk and I just don’t have that active base anymore

If I go carnivore my blood sugar will get too low due to the nature of how that medicine works, but I prefer to adhere to a reduced carbohydrate approach and keep some pineapple, bananas and mango slices around when the blood sugar drops. Just a hit off some pineapple or mango juice itself usually brings it right back up to the 90-100ish range
----- Doug