K frame .22s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

K frame .22s

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

When I was in the police academy in Houston we still carried revolvers. In fact, Department policy was that we had to carry revolvers through our first year on the street. Then we could switch to a semiautomatic pistol.

Our firearms training began with 6 inch K22 revolvers that we cleaned after each use. Hoppe’s No. 9 was the solvent and I remember how strong that smell was as the bunch of us gathered to clean those guns.

I always wanted one of those K22s as a keepsake. But K22s were expensive and 5 screw guns were almost impossible to find in any sort of condition……..until now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: K frame .22s

Post by GunnyMack »

I traded for a 1953 K22, I learned to do S&W action jobs on it. I did mine 3 times before I was happy with it. I also was told by an old timer to use powdered graphite as a lube. Doesn't dry out or gum up.
One night at the school trap range we had finished shooting a round of trap and as I was walking back to the club house I stopped around the 25 yard line and asked the trapper for a target, drew my K22 and said PULL- to my surprise I broke the target.
Of course the guys all said YOU CANT DO THAT AGAIN. I called again and broke a second, and a third. I quit while I was a head!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Smart man!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey thats my gun!! They are great, ill never part with mine.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

First handgun I'd ever bought is a 1959 vintage K22 for all of $250. I had gone to a couple of shows with my dad, looking for a Ruger Single Six and all the $ I had in the world in those days. I stopped at a table with the S&W and made a deal with the guy. My dad came up behind me and said to the guy, that if anyone asks, you sold me the gun. He's only sixteen. The guy turned white as a ghost. I was a big ked and already over six foot at 16. The look on that guy's face, still makes me smile. Hard to believe that was nearly 40 years ago. Man, that makes me feel old!

That .22 was a constant companion for years, until it got moved aside for a 1911A1. Still have the Smith and it goes out to the range from time to time.

Happy to hear you found a good one Scott!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Many times I have thought that I should have stuck with a Smith 27 or 28 as a duty gun. I never had a problem that I would not have been able to handle with a good S&W revolver.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Very nice, Scott. I can't remember the last time I saw a 5 screw K-22. I have a 17-3 which has a pinned barrel and an internal trigger stop like yours. The hammer spur on mine is down-swept rather than the up-swept spur on yours. Great guns!

I can't imagine you ever had a problem you couldn't handle with your 1911.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Walt wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:00 pm I can't imagine you ever had a problem you couldn't handle with your 1911.
Well that’s unfortunately true as well.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice! :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

K22 1966
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

How much simpler would things be with these two and a j frame?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Wanted one for years. Got one from Nancy for our 10th wedding anniversary. I love it.
IMG_1747.jpeg
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Very nice!
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Great snag, Scott.
My K22 was picked up in 1978. A local smith, Steve Velchoff, was an artist at building top grade PPC revolvers. While he was working on mine, I had the bright idea of a K22 understudy for when I was too tired to load 38 wadcutters. I had Steve order one then do his magic on it before I ever saw it. He did a full action job, adjusted the trigger stop, rounded the trigger face and finally installed a ball detent in the crane for consistent alignment. He did his usual outstanding work. I so wish he was still with us. It was a great practice piece but with its heavier springs and lighter barrel it took true concentration which then produced great results with my competition piece. Since that time, with its Roy Baker pancake holster worn as a vertical cross draw, it has been a great field piece that will be with me to the end.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Very nice find Scott!
I've always loved early S&W revolvers, and especially the little K frame .22's! I owned a 1948 in the original gold box, but foolishly sold it years ago.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I don't know, guys; why is it that every gun you don't have will shoot better than the ones you Do have? Keeps all the gun manufacturers in business.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I am still shooting a Model 18 with 3 T's. I shoot it so well that I sold my Model 41.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Walt wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:52 am I don't know, guys; why is it that every gun you don't have will shoot better than the ones you Do have? Keeps all the gun manufacturers in business.
Might be some truth to that. But I’m not buying new guns. I’m buying some that were made before I was born.

And to be fair, I don’t know how this gun will shoot. Haven’t put it on paper.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Got me thinking (can you believe it?) that by far most of the guns I own were bought used, not necessarily old but certainly not new.

Buckeyeshooter, a model 18 is one I've never owned. If I ever see one I'll probably buy it. The differences between the model 17 and 18 aren't nearly as convoluted as between the model 14 and 15.
Last edited by Walt on Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Buckeyeshooter: another M18 shooter here. I do not see many of them around. Am lucky to also have its 3 'brothers' -- a M14, M17, and M15.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I understand that these old guns were supposed to shoot 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. After yesterday’s range session, I believe it.

But I still like my old three screw Single Six with the fixed sight better. Just simple and it shoots. Many Single Sixes I have used over the years don’t shoot particularly well.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Ray Newman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:10 pm Buckeyeshooter: another M18 shooter here. I do not see many of them around. Am lucky to also have its 3 'brothers' -- a M14, M17, and M15.
I still have a 2.5 inch 19. At one point I had a 2.5. 4 and 6 inch. I am getting old and starting to downsize these days.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I've had a 2 1/2" model 66 for decades. Thanks for reminding me; I think I'll take it out and shoot it next week.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Walt wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:23 am I've had a 2 1/2" model 66 for decades. Thanks for reminding me; I think I'll take it out and shoot it next week.
Walt, I have a 4" model 66. it has the BEST single action trigger I have ever shot.... but my only 22 revolver is the wrangler i acquired recently. . . my "other" 22 is a Ruger Automatic..... crazy accurate and reliable . . .
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I do enjoy Rugers. They may not be the greatest straight out of the box but with a little TLC they're just wonderful!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

buckeyeshooter wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:46 am
Ray Newman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:10 pm Buckeyeshooter: another M18 shooter here. I do not see many of them around. Am lucky to also have its 3 'brothers' -- a M14, M17, and M15.
I still have a 2.5 inch 19. At one point I had a 2.5. 4 and 6 inch. I am getting old and starting to downsize these days.
Don’t “downsize” that one :lol:

Kidding- still a free country for now, do whatever strikes your fancy

But when I went through a downsizing phase, a 2.5” model 19 went down the road. Finish was a little speckled so I didn’t think I would miss it, but darn if it wasn’t a good shooter, short barrel and all.
My new 3” Colt really makes me miss that old stubby ‘Smith. It will be years before the new gun feels as worn in and smooth as the Smith did.
----- Doug
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I can count on one hand how many guns I've bought brand new. I've bought a number of fairly new guns used, but not many brand new.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:06 pm
Walt wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:52 am I don't know, guys; why is it that every gun you don't have will shoot better than the ones you Do have? Keeps all the gun manufacturers in business.
Might be some truth to that. But I’m not buying new guns. I’m buying some that were made before I was born.

And to be fair, I don’t know how this gun will shoot. Haven’t put it on paper.
If you're hitting good with it, don't put it on paper. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

That's darn good advice and is in fact something I've preached for years.

I had an old friend, long gone now, with whom I used to hunt coyotes. He was death on coyotes but the couple of times I had him shoot on paper with his coyote loads, the hits were way off. It made him lose confidence in a couple of his rifles. Never mess with a good thing!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:42 am How much simpler would things be with these two and a j frame?
Quoting this because I don't believe anyone commented on the 5" M27, I'm a bit jealous of that one.

My one and only K22 is an old DPS Model 18 trainer I grabbed off a vendor at a show in Phoenix a couple decades ago. He had about two dozen in the case and I picked the one with worn bluing and stocks, but a Patridge front sight. Thought that one looked like a shooter and I wasn't wrong.