Loading 38/40 with "inconvenient" bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Loading 38/40 with "inconvenient" bullets

Post by earlmck »

Builders of 38/40 ammo have learned to work with the wimpy little short neck and thin brass, or they can't produce reliable ammo for either rifle or pistol. A couple of months ago "Rifle" magazine published an article on loading ammo for 38/40 rifles. The resulting ammo was so poor it wasn't ready to work through the tubular magazine of the rifle of this supposed "gun writer". But he "coulda' produced the good stuff if he'd really wanted to take time to get out his cannelure tool..."
I was disgusted enough with this article that when renewal time came around for "Rifle" I have not responded. But I still could if I wanted to....

This month's buffalo shoot left me nearly depleted of my "low power" loads that I use in our 50 to 200 yard competition so today I loaded up enough to see me through the rest of the year. My "low power" bullet is the Lee 175 grain "tumble lube" bullet with the little dinky grease grooves, and my "high power" bullet is a 200 grain Accurate bullet with little dinky grease grooves. Neither bullet has a crimp groove. Yep, if I had a half-way decent crimp groove on either bullet life would be simpler and these gyrations would not be needed.

My strategy is to build loads that will be somewhat compressed when the bullet is seated, so the bullet can not be set back when worked through the tubular magazine and rifle action. High power loads use a case full of RL7; low power loads have a duplex load with 2.2 grains of Universal on the bottom with whatever is needed of machine-gun powder (W860 in this case) to fill the case on up close to the mouth. Which varies a bit with case brand. Here are the charged cases, ready for bullet seating.
3840FullCases.jpg
The completed cartridges.
3840LoadedShells.jpg
If you noticed funny marks on the cartridges -- well my m92 has a flaw in the chamber that produces little oval bulges in the shoulder of the case on firing that then gets ironed back down on sizing. Not exactly ideal but having owned the rifle over 30 years I have a fair number of loads on some of the brass and have yet to have a failure a "bulge" location.
3840NeckWrinkle.jpg
Note that this is "rifle" ammo and not "pistol" ammo. There would not be much keeping the bullets from jumping forward when fired in a revolver. I think there'd be enough neck tension to hold the "low power" ammo OK in a revolver but I have never tried it. You sure don't want to use my "high power" load in a revolver. The old ones are not built for the pressure and the revolvers that would handle the pressure would be locked up by the bullet jumping forward under recoil. If I ever need to load for a revolver I'm going "bite the bullet" and get a mould for a bullet with a good crimp groove.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Loading 38/40 with "inconvenient" bullets

Post by AJMD429 »

...for bullet jump, you could try a Lee Factory Crimp die - but it has to be the 'rifle type' one to work well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Well I'll be danged. Earl is loading 40/10mm bullets in his 38-40 and I am loading 38-40 bullets in my 40 S&W. Fired bullet (by T&B) sailed through four gallons of water with three pieces of 3/8" plywood stacked between them.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Can't you just crimp in the top itty bitty lube groove?
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

What you need is the CH4D Cannelure tool. Available direct. They have been making quality reloading equipment for a very long time. A large portion of their dies and equipment are not available anywhere else.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

That article really irked me too. I can't believe they published such a half hearted attempt at a technical article and I wrote the magazine saying as much.

I did much as you do for years until having Accurate cut me a mold for John Kort's 180gr bullet which as a nice crimp groove in the proper place and a levergun friendly ogive. It's proven to be a wonderful bullet with smokeless and carries plenty of lube for black powder too should you be in the mood.

I haven't used my cannelure tool in years.

Eric
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Those loads like mighty handsome to me, Earl. The .38-40 is one I have long admired but never played with. It's wonderful how well those bottlenecks contain BP fouling in and in front of the case.