Gove style under lever Rolling Block

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Gove style under lever Rolling Block

Post by marlinman93 »

Well I've been holding off posting pictures of this rifle until I knew the deal was done. Since the seller sent me pictures a couple weeks ago, and I got the tracking number this morning showing it's shipped; I figured I'd post some pictures he sent me prior to my purchase.
This is a #1 Rolling Block, built to copy a Gove style underlever rifle. Can't give much in the way of details until it arrives next week, as the seller didn't know anything about it either. My hope is some details will be revealed once I remove forearm and buttstock and hopefully find some markings.
It appears to be a Sporting Action, or someone's nicely reshaped receiver to emulate a Sporting Action rifle. The barrel is a false muzzle full octagon barrel in .32-40 chambering. Wood is very nice high grade, and appears to have been expertly fitted and finished. The front sight is a nice windage globe, but no rear sight. I've got several long range and mid range tang sights, so one will find a home once I have it here.
I got more pictures, but these were the best 3 I got for now, so more once it lands here, and I can take them.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gove style under lever Rolling Block

Post by GunnyMack »

GREAT CASE COLORS!
If that stock is as pretty as it appears

well I'm :mrgreen: .
Very nice to say the least!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's really cool! Looking forward to reading/ seeing more about it. Always liked the .32-40, but haven't had one in a long time.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

She is a beaut for sure!!! :mrgreen:
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I wonder if Lone Star did that. I know Dave did at least one Gove side lever. The CCH looks like that on my Lone Star.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Looking forward to your reporting on this.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Great looking rolling block!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I thought Lone Star marked his work, or at least anything he did the whole build on? Hoping to find markings somewhere to tell me who did the barrel, or the entire gun! I've seen a couple under lever Rolling Blocks, and bought one some years back that was sold as a real Gove, but turned out to be a fake. Seller took it back, and returned my money, so no loss on it. This one being sold as an unknown didn't have the high price tag a real Gove conversion has, so I had no problem with it regardless of who did the work. It has a single set trigger, and looks factory, but may just be a copy of the factory set trigger.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:31 am Looking forward to your reporting on this.
Plus one...
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

So far so good! Watching tracking like Christmas was coming, and the package made it through Billings, Mt. and hit Oregon this morning at 7:30AM! Looks like it will be in town for certain today, and scheduled for Tue. delivery, but maybe even earlier!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Be still my heart!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ray Newman wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:06 pm Be still my heart!
Fingers crossed it's in one piece, and nothing damaged, missing, or stolen! Never know these days!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well this has been an ordeal, and hopefully it's over today! After making the deal to buy the under lever Gove style Rolling Block, I got a tracking number from the seller, and it was a FedEx number. Not excited about him using FedEx, but no choice on my part. He had told me he'd ship USPS, but for whatever reason he didn't.
So I watched as it traveled along really well, and got detailed updates along the way. Then Sunday it showed it arrived in Eastern Oregon, and Monday morning at 2:50 AM it was at my local FedEx. Then one minute later it showed arriving again? Then that night at 12:00 midnight it arrived again! Then it showed delivery yesterday, but nothing came. Suddenly yesterday afternoon it showed "no delivery date available".
I called customer no service and got some guy in India who told me they had no info, and it was still on schedule for Wed. the 7th. When I tried asking why it arrived 3 times, and had gone from the 7th, to the 6th, and then to No Delivery Scheduled, he acted like he didn't hear me and simply said it was still on track, and "have a good day" and hung up.
This morning I got an update telling me it was "out for delivery", so we'll see how that goes. FedEx is still as screwed up as ever, so no telling. Needless to say this has been excruciating. If they'd simply gotten tracking correct I'd not be so concerned about how it was going.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ugh- I hope it works out!!
I had a package from Amazon that was delivered back and forth between 2 post offices 4 times in one day !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For some reason, I seem to recall that UPS has been rejecting shipments of guns, FedEx is the only game in town. When I got my 1885 last year, it came FedEx, luckily, when I bought the 3rd Paterson, last month it was a "local" p/u, less than 150 miles one way!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:41 pm For some reason, I seem to recall that UPS has been rejecting shipments of guns, FedEx is the only game in town. When I got my 1885 last year, it came FedEx, luckily, when I bought the 3rd Paterson, last month it was a "local" p/u, less than 150 miles one way!
Both UPS and FedEx are not accepting shipments of modern firearms from private parties. But antique firearms are still OK at both shippers.
Here's the latest detailed report since the gun landed at my local depot. Note their remark on Wed. at 12:37PM! I have no idea what a "security delay" is, or how it would be in my neighborhood?

Monday, 6/5/2023
2:49 AM
In transit
TROUTDALE, OR
2:50 PM
In transit
TROUTDALE, OR
Tuesday, 6/6/2023
12:00 AM
Arrived at FedEx location
TROUTDALE, OR
Wednesday, 6/7/2023
4:54 AM
At local FedEx facility
TROUTDALE, OR
4:55 AM
TROUTDALE, OR
4:56 AM
Shipment arriving On-Time
TROUTDALE, OR
5:02 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
TROUTDALE, OR
12:37 PM
Delivery exception
Recipient location security delay. Delivery will be reattempted.
TROUTDALE, OR
12:38 PM
Delay
Package delayed
TROUTDALE, OR
4:41 PM
TROUTDALE, OR
Thursday, 6/8/2023
1:13 AM
At local FedEx facility
TROUTDALE, OR
1:14 AM
TROUTDALE, OR
1:20 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
TROUTDALE, OR
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Success! The gun finally made it here, and it's nicer than pictures showed! All in fantastic shape and well done. Surprised to find it is built on an original Remington Sporting Rifle action, with the longer lower tang, and it's original serial number. I was expecting a nicely reworked old Military action, not this.
One small issue was the windage globe front sight was missing. Looked all over in the packing, and it was AWOL. Called the seller, and he was sure it was on the gun. But he called right back and told me he found it in the bottom of his safe, and is sending it today. So all is well soon!

I have a nice long range vernier for the rear in my parts, so that will be too much rear sight, but better to have more than not enough.
There are no markings anywhere to indicate who built the rifle, or barrel, so a mystery still. Buttplate is a Remington hard rubber. Bore is like new and very unique rifling! It's likely around 12 lands and grooves, which is amazing for a .32-40, or even a larger bore. Haven't seen this before on a barrel?
I can finally relax and sleep tonight!
Last edited by marlinman93 on Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the update Vall. And... WOW, just beautiful wood and case colors! Is that stamped on the chambering, or etched? Looks quite remarkable! (So, yes I had to remark on it!) :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

WHEW!
What a looker! If it shoots as good as it looks I'm sure you will be one very happy camper!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:39 pm Thanks for the update Vall. And... WOW, just beautiful wood and case colors! Is that stamped on the chambering, or etched? Looks quite remarkable! (So, yes I had to remark on it!) :D
The caliber marking appears to be engraved on the barrel. Single set trigger works a bit different than my other Rem. rifles. Hammer has to be cocked before it will set.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:45 pm WHEW!
What a looker! If it shoots as good as it looks I'm sure you will be one very happy camper!!
Thanks Gunny! I hope my Ideal Hudson tapered bullet will muzzle load and fit the bore? I'll try fixed ammo also once I do a chamber cast and see what the lead into the bore is cut like.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The false muzzle off of the barrel. First I've seen with an aluminum knurled collar on it?

Found the set trigger adjustment too! It's on the back of the trigger, just below the tang.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It's getting better by the minute!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

My goodness that's a beautiful thing. You'll have some fun finding what that baby will do!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Maybe I wont sleep so well now that it's here! I better make room in bed beside me!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I was searching this morning for some hint of who did the gun, and when I unscrewed the buttplate screws I got a surprise! The buttplate was made from two pieces! The center with Rem. logo, and a separate perimeter that fits so close I couldn't see the parting line!

I think the outer is an original hard rubber from some gun, then a repro center fitted to make it look proper.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Sure looks classy , I'd say you win the worst luck in firearm shipping award . The lost rifle now this ordeal .
Glad it's safe and not lost or stolen.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pat C wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:49 pm Sure looks classy , I'd say you win the worst luck in firearm shipping award . The lost rifle now this ordeal .
Glad it's safe and not lost or stolen.
The Ballard being stolen only added to my anxiety on this one! So it was a huge relief when it finally arrived!

I did some peeking around at the action without disassembling it. Still a bit nervous about taking it apart to look at the internals. But it appears the lever is made to pivot on the front cross screw that holds the trigger plate in the receiver, and a link attached to the lever operates the opening and closing of the breech block. I see no way to adjust the timing to ensure the block is fully closed when lever fully closes, so had to be some pretty accurate machine work to ensure it was all perfect. I've disassembled every old gun I ever bought, so maybe someday I'll dive into this one too!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That butt is a work of art, someone really took the effort to make it such a special rifle.
I went to school with a guy that was doing Rolling Blocks, darned if I can remember his name !... Mike... ???
Anyhow he was getting rollers and completely redoing the actions, milling octagon barrels, real horn forend tips & new furniture, case hardening. Geeze what was his name !?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When this rifle arrived the windage globe with spirit level was missing from the front sight! I called the seller who said he found it in the safe, as dovetail must have been loose and it fell out. He promised to send it, but after a couple weeks I called and he was sick with covid, and never sent it. Then a promise his wife would send it, but that never happened either.
So I gave up, and dug through my parts to find a modern repro globe sight and put it on. instead. Slugged the bore and it came out .3275" and I have a Saeco mold for my Hepburn Match B rifle that I had opened up the base band from .324" to .328" I figured might work. Tried muzzle loading the bullet, but the 1:16 tin/lead mix was too hard, and it was very tough to do so! So I figured I'd see if the big bullet diameter would chamber if seated in a case. Wasn't expecting it to, but to my surprise the dummy cartridge chambered fine!! I used my kinetic bullet puller to move the bullet back out a bit, and began testing how far out it could be before it touched the rifling. It ended up chambering with almost two bands exposed on the bullet, so a very generous lead!
This morning I got a text message from the seller apologizing for not getting the globe sight sent, along with a tracking number he sent for it and said it's on the way! Renewed my faith in the seller, and hope it's going to be here maybe right after the 4th?
I'm loading up some fixed ammo with the bullets I have in the meantime, and hope to get some range time next week once the original sight arrives!

Had a friend give me another new toy Wed. too! A Allen & Wheelock single shot percussion .36 caliber pistol! Well worn from someone's pocket carrying, as it was once engraved and barely able to see engraving now. But it works perfectly and is a double action only pistol. Unscrew the barrel and load charge and bullet in the chamber. Then thread the barrel back on, and after installing a cap it's ready to fire!

Strange hexagon shaped bore!?

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Now there's a concealed carry piece if I ever saw one ! :lol:
Nice the seller wasn't stringing you along and that he followed through.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:28 pm Now there's a concealed carry piece if I ever saw one ! :lol:
Nice the seller wasn't stringing you along and that he followed through.
Yes, with a lack of sights, and hammer on top, there's no way you'd ever shoot this little pistol at further than arm's length away! A real belly gun for self defense purposes at close quarters.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Plus if the offender is wearing flammable clothing they will be easy to spot in a police line up ! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Got the missing front globe sight, but it needs parts. Vial in the spirit level is broken, and it measures .140" diameter, and about 1/2"-9/16" long. So need to see if I can find one this small. The aperture is missing, and none of my various spares fit as the material they're made from are all too thick for the thin slit this sight has. Might open it up, but I'll wait to see what I can find first. In the meantime I'll stick with the one I have on it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well shucky darn- Did it break in transit?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:43 pm Well shucky darn- Did it break in transit?
I doubt it since there's no pieces in the package. Likely was broken long ago, but I never saw closeups of the front sight in his pictures sent. I'll have to do some searching to see if anyone carries small vials this size?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Maybe find a company like Stabila that does high quality levels and get some specs of their stuff.

Or a glass blower ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Found out the sight is a Pedersoli, and VTI in Florida is the parts supplier. Contacted them, and they have the vial in stock, but not the sight cards. So I guess I'll get the vial while they have it, and see if I can locate some apertures or a card elsewhere?