Not Pitchy worthy…

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Not Pitchy worthy…

Post by Ysabel Kid »

… but a fun little project nonetheless!

So, I have been casting with my new Accurate Molds .44-caliber mold acquired earlier this year. I had custom-ordered it; one cavity is a 246-grain LRNFP and the other a 200-grain LRNFP, both nominally to .430”. Both are “wide lube” bullets for use with blackpowder cartridges. The first is for the .44 Russian to duplicate the original factory loading; the latter was just for plinking rounds.

I have been lubing these with a homemade mixture of 1:1 beeswax to lamb’s tallow. Decided to do some “small batch” pan-lubing as I am not cranking out a ton of these. I have a small flat-bottom tin, place 20 or so bullets in it, pour the melted lube in it, and let it sit up. I just had a scrap of shelving wood and a couple odd pieces of 2x4 to make a stand. I drilled a hole in the shelving wood, then place it on the 2x4 scraps. Then I just place the lube “puck” on the shelving wood, position a bullet over the hole, and punch it through. When I’ve punched them all out I put the puck back in the tin, load it with another set of bullets, then reheat the tin so the lube flows into the lube groove. Let it sit and harden and repeat.

This worked fine but I thought to myself, “what would Pitchy do?”

So, using more scrap from the woodshop I created this:

I took apart an old cigar box to use to catch the lubed bullets. Used a couple pieces of oak as risers, and another piece of laminated shelving board, this one dark. I drilled a 5/8” hole (will accommodate my .58-caliber Zoauve mini’ bullets) in the center of the wood. I think used a handsaw to mark witness marks in the wood, making it easier to line up the bullet in the puck.

I also made three bullet pushers, one for .38-caliber and below, one for .40 - .45-caliber bullets, and one for .50-caliber and above, using three wooden balls left over from previous projects (the shaft on the .38-caliber is from an old, broken arrow that belonged to Y2K). Makes pushing the bullets through the lube puck even easier.

Nice little lunch-hour project. Now I just need to load some up!
Ysabel Kid

Re: Not Pitchy worthy…

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sorry, I need to remember to use thumbnail photos! :shock:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Nice. Does it seem like the lube ring has ridden up a bit on the bullets in that last picture or is it an optical illusion?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

More of an optical illusion. But I started off with a softer lube mix, which did have some issues staying in place.