Bore scope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Bore scope

Post by GunnyMack »

Who has one? What brand?
I've been tossing this around for years, what to buy... sure we would all like a Hawkeye but who has 3 grand to spend for something not to be used everyday?!
I'm now looking at the Lyman , wireless & 24".
Thoughts ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bore scope

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I got the Teslong MS450 off of Amazon for $85. I needed to run a wire where I couldn't see. The head is too large on mine (8mm dual lens / 0.315") for a lot of stuff in the gun world but they make a 3.9mm single lens camera that you can add on for $65. They also make an add on 5.5mm dual lens with a 3.3 foot cable. I needed the larger size for the rigidity to get the cable run.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
lonesome dave
Levergunner

Post by lonesome dave »

+1 on teslong no regrets.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have both a Lyman that cost me over $200 and a Teslong Model NTG100H 26" rigid that cost me well under $100. The Teslong is much much better than the Lyman. It has a longer probe rod and gives a better image too.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Many years back, my twin and I went in 50/50 on a 17" Hawkeye which is really awesome -- and costs even more now.

But if you're looking at calibers > .25" and you just want to see what's up, one of the < $25 (last time I looked, pre-covid) endoscopy bore scopes off of eBay (connects to iPhone or laptop) works just as well for a quick view. You typically only get a straight-on view, but by pushing a patch ahead of the borescope, and dimming the built-in LED lights to the right amount of reflection, you can see what's going on with the lands and grooves.

As I found out -- just don't use a white patch with too coarse of a weave, as it creates reflections on the lands & grooves that will make you sick about the condition of your bore! Been there, done that... Oops!!! :wink:

Here' some pix for comparison...

Hawkeye Borescope -- $$$ Pricey! $$$
Right-angle/side view of a rough .22 Martini bore (had it relined, as I inherited this rifle from my late father)
* Image taken through eye piece with an iPhone (not a perfect setup)

Martini 22 Bore 02.jpg
eBay Endoscope (to laptop) -- < $25
Straight-on view of Trapdoor bore
* Using a patch pushed ahead of the scope to see the sides of the bore

Trapdoor Bore (1).jpg
eBay Wifi Endoscope (to iPhone) -- <$25
Straight-on view of T/C Renegade
* No patch needed for this view of the combustion chamber at bottom

TC Renegade bore 01.jpg
Hope these help.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I got one of the cheap $20 ones that connects via Wifi. It is a pain sometimes to get it connected. It was described as having a 5mm camera but it is more
like 8mm. I have been thinking about getting one of the Teslongs.

JBowen
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw the Teslong on Amazon.
I had ordered a different brand, was wifi but needed my ssid and password for my home! The app install was not easy and no matter what I did the camera didn't work. So I returned it.
I kind of decided to forgo the Amazon bore scopes , Chinese made junk with obvious Spyware installed! I bet with a name like Teslong it's Chinese also! But you guys say it works so ill look at it again.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Teslong arrived today, a few minor hurdles but I got it working, my phone is too NEW for the app from them, had to use the third party one.
Anyhow I'm working on my 257 AI , load development and it just doesn't shoot like I think it should... can you say copper fouling ! A bunch of elbow grease and Sweets later it much cleaner, might run some JB BORE next and have another look-see before I shoot it again.

Thanks for the tip guys!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

You must have bought the phone based probe. I've got the one with the handheld display. But at least you got it running. Which one did you end up going with? 5.5mm? 3.9mm?

Oh, and don't forget to take your WORKING chrono to the range next time. We're all curious.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah, I finally got all the wires needed to get the chrony working. But I could really use a 15 foot usb cable!
I got the 3.9mm( 20 cal) model. I might get the screen that goes with the scope at some point.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mine is around here someplace... I'm sure I'll run across it in the next several days... if I keep after it! I got it off EBay several years back. Attaches to laptop via USB cable. It does ok... like Old No 7 said, "...if you use a patch to allow reflection off the sides of the bore..."
Mine is a no name 7mm version. Plugs into a USB port... but uses software on a minidisc.
Last edited by Griff on Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I bought one of the cheap Ebay endoscopes in a 5mm a long time ago, and after plugging it into my computer I was pretty happy with it. At first the image was a bit washed out a few inches ahead of the lens, but then a friend told me to push a loose white patch ahead of the scope and it made a huge difference. I just use the scope to push the patch, and then back the scope up a few inches to see the bore. I work my way down the bore a few inches at a time this way. I liked it so much I got a 2nd scope from the seller, and I plug it into my smart phone and use it at the range, or away from home to look at bores. A lot easier to roll up the 12 ft. cord, and put it in my pocket, and I can even have it at a gun show if I want to inspect a bore prior to purchase.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's kind of why I went with the cell phone camera, much more portable for range- gun show use.
I gotta say this Teslong is very good, I need to play with it more.
The other nice thing is the 90° mirror that can be taken off if ya want a full 360 view.
And the ability to shoot pics and video is great too.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

To evaluate an old Alexander Henry single offered at an auction house not far away, I purchased off Amazon a Teslong flexible, 45" borescope. I also bought the set of angle mirror attachments for 22 through 40 caliber bores. The image is excellent. We simply plugged its USB port into a tablet PC and got the images with no software download required. I didn't try it with my phone, but it might work since it is just another USB camera.

I liked it so much, I bought a set for my oldest son, too.

I was outbid on the AH, though.