.44 Special Loads Over The Years

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

.44 Special Loads Over The Years

Post by JimT »

All Loads Below Are With bullet #429421

From Elmer Keith in the late 1950's

Light loads 5.0 gr. Bullseye
Target loads 7.5 gr. Unique
Heavy Loads 18.5 gr. 2400 in the older balloon-head cases. In modern solid head cases, cut the powder charge to 17.0 grains.

1960's Lyman Reloading Manual

Unique - min. 5.0 gr. max 8.0 gr.
2400 - min. 12.5 gr. max.17.7 gr.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook

Unique - min. 5.0 gr. max. 6.9 gr.
2400 - min. 11.4 gr. max. 13.2 gr.

(The 50th Anniversary Lyman manual changed the minimum charge of Unique to 6.0 gr. - the rest stayed the same)

Speer #13 Reloading Manual

Unique - min. 6.4 gr. max. 6.9 gr.
2400 - min. 12.0 gr. max. 13.0 gr.
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .44 Special Loads Over The Years

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I use 6 gr of Unique under a 240 RNFP. Quite a comfortable load to shoot all day. But I would not drop this charge any.

With the Keith bullet I step it up to 7.5 gr of Unique. Though 8 grains pops it up a bit. Not for extended use in a Charter Arms.

Between these two loads I’m good for just about anything.

That Skeeter load has killed a lot of game over the years and that Keith bullet will blow right through a Texas whitetail. But it’s still comfortable enough to shoot in a light SAA size gun.

I haven’t found a more powerful load that I like yet.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

A friend and I wrecked a Charter Arms shooting 8 gr. Unique and the Keith SWC. Stretched the frame.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I loaded 11.0 - 17.0 gr 2400 in one grain increments with 12.5 thrown in. 12.5 proved to be the most accurate. This was in a Model 24 S&W.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:30 pm A friend and I wrecked a Charter Arms shooting 8 gr. Unique and the Keith SWC. Stretched the frame.
It will sure do it!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That's why I prefer the Ruger GP-100 over the Charter Arms. Heavier and bigger, but worth it.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

JimT wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:30 pm A friend and I wrecked a Charter Arms shooting 8 gr. Unique and the Keith SWC. Stretched the frame.
I came up with 5.5 of W231 with a 240 SWC for a buddy's Bulldog years ago. Thought that I'd invented it, only to find later that it's actually a pretty common standard pressure load. I knew from prior experience with a Lew Horton 624 3" that the Skeeter load gets to be not as much fun by the third cylinder full in a small gun. My friend did put down a javelina with the Bulldog/231 combination, although he'd already broken its back running over it with the truck...

I do like 8 grains of Unique or Universal with Elmer's bullet in the mid-frame Flattop.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am on my last can of Unique, I have been watching over a year and havent seen any on the shelf in the stores. I do have W244 which is right next to Unique on the burn chart. I havent seen any data for stout .44 Special loads for it. I am assuming one could start a little lower than the max unique load and watch for pressure signs.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I think my hunting loads in my 44mag were running close to special velocities, but never chronographed them. The gun was a SBH with a 10 inch barrel.
I started with a 235Gr SWC and Blue Dot, between 15 and 18 grains, which I backed down to 17. I also loaded 357 SWC with Blue Dot. Don't recall where the recipe came from. Are these loads around 44 Spcl ranges?
grizz
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

horsesoldier, really popular powders like Unique and 2400 are hard to find. However, less well-known equivalent powders are available from several sources. For instance, Hodgdon's Universal powder is not as well known as Unique but it is Hodgdon's equivalent to Unique. It's also known as Universal Clays and can be loaded to the same charges for similar velocities as Unique. Remember that if you live close to a Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabelas or Bass Pro shops location and maybe others, you can order powder on line, have it shipped to the retail store and pick it up with no hazmat or shipping charges.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Grizz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:41 am I think my hunting loads in my 44mag were running close to special velocities, but never chronographed them. The gun was a SBH with a 10 inch barrel.
I started with a 235Gr SWC and Blue Dot, between 15 and 18 grains, which I backed down to 17. I also loaded 357 SWC with Blue Dot. Don't recall where the recipe came from. Are these loads around 44 Spcl ranges?
grizz
The Lyman Cast Bullet handbook lists 16 gr. Blue Dot with a 245 gr. bullet at 1194 fps in the .44 Magnum.
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.
weiler
Levergunner

Post by weiler »

samsi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:14 pm
I came up with 5.5 of W231 with a 240 SWC for a buddy's Bulldog years ago. Thought that I'd invented it, only to find later that it's actually a pretty common standard pressure load. I knew from prior experience with a Lew Horton 624 3" that the Skeeter load gets to be not as much fun by the third cylinder full in a small gun. My friend did put down a javelina with the Bulldog/231 combination, although he'd already broken its back running over it with the truck...

I do like 8 grains of Unique or Universal with Elmer's bullet in the mid-frame Flattop.

5.5 W231 under a 240-250 gr slug is a dandy load for the special or deep seated in 44 mag brass
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Walt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:17 am horsesoldier, really popular powders like Unique and 2400 are hard to find. However, less well-known equivalent powders are available from several sources. For instance, Hodgdon's Universal powder is not as well known as Unique but it is Hodgdon's equivalent to Unique. It's also known as Universal Clays and can be loaded to the same charges for similar velocities as Unique. Remember that if you live close to a Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabelas or Bass Pro shops location and maybe others, you can order powder on line, have it shipped to the retail store and pick it up with no hazmat or shipping charges.
Thanks.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Thanks for the info.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper