Great Short Range Trip Today With My Son

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Great Short Range Trip Today With My Son

Post by COSteve »

My son has a 1943 Remington 1903A3 he got from the CMP some years ago. During Covid he decided he wanted to replace the straight stock with a correct for the A3, pistol grip stock. In addition, he was thinking of getting a Criterion barrel as it didn't group that well even though it looked to be in excellent condition.

So, about a year and a half ago he ordered a new Italian made pistol grip stock for it from Stocky's and it took a few months to get it. I installed it on his rifle and it looks beautiful, however, with work a mess until Covid settled down, he's not been out to shoot in well over a year.

Add to that his decision to completely remodel his town home in Boulder and he hasn't had the time to come down to shoot it since the installation. Further, all of his firearms related stuff are stored at my home as he's had workmen in and out for a few months redoing his place.

That changed this morning as he came down last night to celebrate his B'day with us (5/30) and I suggested that we go out to the range this morning. I took my Ruger PC4 and M1 Carbine and he took his 1903A3 and a P38 and 1911.

As I said, his rifle looks beautiful but he was less that happy with it's groups so he loaded up a couple of rounds and squeezed off one at a bowling pin at 200 yds. He looked at me with a huge smile and said it hit exactly where he aimed. He then proceeded to plink with it and said it's much, much better. Then I took a couple of shots and sure enough, it's now grouping like a champ!

After that he tried my new Ruger and thought it was pretty accurate for a 40s&w pistol round, even out to 100 yds. Then he tried his Nazi P38 and then his 1911 and he was one happy fellow. Finally, I had him finish off with a few mags of my M1 Carbine and the day was a big success.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Great Short Range Trip Today With My Son

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a fine father-son afternoon right there.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Sounds like a nice day. I always have a good time when my son or one of the grandsons takes time out from their busy schedule to go to the range
with me.

JBowen
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Stockys is outsourcing?
Should have tried Boyd's .

Good day none the less!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The stock was made by a European company, the name of which I forgot, but it's a premium product. This company specializes in military stocks and this one is a gem. Excellent grain, finely inletted and the action fit tight and straight without any fiddling. My son bought it after looking over the options and he is very happy with the result. I looked at Boyd's among others and theirs was more expensive and at the time, not available.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are