Got the cabin open this weekend

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Got the cabin open this weekend

Post by 2ndovc »

We're late getting to PA this year, but got a start on some repairs.

Kitchen floor was developing a soft spot last year and cut a couple holes to see what was going on. There's a very small space between the framing and the dirt floor below and after 40 plus years of nests, bugs and anything else that could get in there. The space packed with enough stuff to bring in the termites and their destructive habits. We're going to have to take up more floor next trip. Going to have to take a few days off for that one.
Saturday it rained nearly all day, but Quint and I enjoyed the peace and quite. Can't remember the last time a just sat down and read a book.
Sunday got the lawn taken care of and did some shooting. The kid sure likes that Wrangler I bought him. He burnt up about 300 .22s plinking away. :D
I showed him how to work the Mini-14. I think he was a little intimidated at first, but after a few rounds, he sure had a big smile on his face.
Hanging out on a quiet rainy day with the dogs.
I ran some ammo through the Mini and the Springfield AR-10, both ran perfectly.
The RHKP Model 10 I bought last spring has worked it's way into the short list of my all time favorite handguns. I had it on my hip almost all weekend.
After we got home and unloaded, I went back out in the garage just to find Bandit sitting on the front seat looking like he wanted to say, ok that's enough fooling around. Saddle up and lets go again!
Fun weekend doing guy stuff. My dad wanted to come along, but he's just had surgery on his left hand and wasn't quite up to it, but he'll be along on the next one to "supervise" the repairs. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Re: Got the cabin open this weekend

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"Can't remember the last time a just sat down and read a book."

Me either. I am jealous. Life has become way too hectic!!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks like a good time even with the flooring.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like a great time. Sorry about the floor. It never ends, seems like. I'm headed up to our place to do some work this morning. Don't think I'm going to get to read for a while yet. :roll:
Great pictures. Nice looking hardware. I suppose I need not mention what one is my favorite. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You are so blessed to have that cabin to escape to, Jason!
I dealt with a whole lot of active termites here and was just amazed at the destruction they caused. They must be stopped, and I would strongly suggest you have your cabin treated by a pro who injects fipronil all the way around the perimeter every two feet, and then around the damaged floor. This stuff is guaranteed. It prevents the termite from being able to molt, which it must do every few weeks, and the best part is that just a few exposed to the fipronil take it back and contaminate the entire colony, which can be in the millions. Side benefit is that it also kills ants and cockroaches.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks like a great place to be Jason, in the first picture is that a big log in the back ground and is that a road by it that leads to the cabin ?
If that`s a road could be a old RR grade ? :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pitchy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:54 am Looks like a great place to be Jason, in the first picture is that a big log in the back ground and is that a road by it that leads to the cabin ?
Hey Lenn,

There were railroads running through there. Most of the cars were pulled by oxen at the time. Heaving logging area and now oil rigs. It's rare to to walk more than a few hundred yards on those roads without kinking up an old RR spike. I've picked up at least a hundred of them over the years. Probably had a dozen of them around here. :D

jb 8)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

2ndovc wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:02 am
Pitchy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:54 am Looks like a great place to be Jason, in the first picture is that a big log in the back ground and is that a road by it that leads to the cabin ?
Hey Lenn,

There were railroads running through there. Most of the cars were pulled by oxen at the time. Heaving logging area and now oil rigs. It's rare to to walk more than a few hundred yards on those roads without kinking up an old RR spike. I've picked up at least a hundred of them over the years. Probably had a dozen of them around here. :D

jb 8)
Cool beans pard, i love that stuff.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Same here. There's always something interesting to find along those trails and old roads. I've found all sorts of stuff, old RR parts and fittings and tools. Along with more useful stuff that falls off of someone's ATV or one of the oil trucks. Heavy duty tools, flashlights, arrows, even found a small bag full of shotgun shells.

I took my Marlin .35 Rem. along, but didn't get a chance to shoot it. Looking forward to the next trip.

Jay,
I know what you mean. It takes me a day to shift down to a lower gear. Too much to do lately. Our branch office has had over 3000 claims from the wind storms that went through here in March and April. There's only twelve of us, and it's just now starting to slow down a bit.

OW,
I put the Bowen in there just for you! :D

jb 8)

4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Rail road spikes can be used for knife stock,
Rumble.com/ hickock45
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Yeah,
I've got a pole of spikes, great big old anvil and that's as far as I've gotten into knife making.

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:00 pm Jay,
I know what you mean. It takes me a day to shift down to a lower gear. Too much to do lately. Our branch office has had over 3000 claims from the wind storms that went through here in March and April. There's only twelve of us, and it's just now starting to slow down a bit.
Oh man, that sounds like a lot of stress Jason. I'm happy you can get away from time to time - you certainly deserve it!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nothing is ever easy is it Jason !! Man I really hate doing ' rot jobs '! Give me trim work and I'm a happy camper.
Bandit looks ready for anything.
Great to see your son has found out how much fun shooting is- his OWN gun makes it all better!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:46 pm Nothing is ever easy is it Jason !! Man I really hate doing ' rot jobs '! Give me trim work and I'm a happy camper.
Bandit looks ready for anything.
Great to see your son has found out how much fun shooting is- his OWN gun makes it all better!
Same here. I'm going to have to take up half of the kitchen floor to find some good wood. Fortunately there's some big stone footings under there to work with.

I found a couple of pictures of the place when my dad bought it in 1967.
:D

jb 8)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That is a treasure, and a beautiful spot. We bought a house and while attending to the wiring I found sill to plate rot and disintegration in one exterior wall. The paint looked OK though! I wound up replacing the sill and studs and under siding with pressure treated lumber and plywood. New shingle exterior and better than new, at that spot...

That's a great way to raise your son. Thanks for posting.

grizz
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good foundation is hard to beat! Without bugs doing damage it's amazing just how long wood can last. Lots of 1700's buildings around here, most framed with American Chestnut and they are in perfect condition. Chestnut is naturally bug & rot resistant. Heck even (real old growth ) pine is tremendously rot resistant unlike the garbage on the market now!
Jason I'm guessing you will use pressure treated sills, joists for repairs- don't forget to use hot dip galvanized or ceramic coated nails/ screws if its the new fangled ACQ treated. ( I know you probably already know this but others may not).
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

For sure. I have boxes and boxes of galvanized stuff left over from my contractor days. I've been hauling treated lumber up there since last year. All I should need is the PT 3/4" plywood. The old man wants to go back with T&G decking. I don't have that kind of time. :D

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah its nice to put flooring down 32 Sq ft at a time !
Have you thought about getting an exterminator in there before you close it up? Ya know carpet bomb the buggers back to before time began :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:13 pm"Can't remember the last time a just sat down and read a book."
I can... every morning during breakfast! When I'm on the road, I add dinnertime to that. Usually the best 3 hours of any day! Yeah, I dawdle while eating...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:57 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:13 pm"Can't remember the last time a just sat down and read a book."
I can... every morning during breakfast! When I'm on the road, I add dinnertime to that. Usually the best 3 hours of any day! Yeah, I dawdle while eating...
Oh sure, rub it in...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:45 pm
Oh sure, rub it in...
No, just means that truck drivers are not the best of conversationalists, and I have no life on the road... Stress induced by avoiding idiots on the road is best alleviated thru immersion in fiction.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:40 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:45 pm
Oh sure, rub it in...
No, just means that truck drivers are not the best of conversationalists, and I have no life on the road... Stress induced by avoiding idiots on the road is best alleviated thru immersion in fiction.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've tried to avoid idiots all my life, but they are overwhelming!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I've tried to avoid idiots all my life, but they are overwhelming!
I try to explain to my wife is that adrenaline keeps me alive on road trips. So she sees why I might sneak past a BMW lollygagging around in lane 2. I make a 2 second pass and don't slow down until the road requires it . . . game on. :D :lol: :D never fails . . .

grizz