OT I went trap shooting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

OT I went trap shooting

Post by MikeS. »

I went last Thursday for the first time. My gun club is big into trap and skeet and some of the members talked me into it. I've owned a couple pump gun and a buddy convinced me my Mossberg 500 would do fine for starters. In the 30 years I've owned a shot gun I haven't fired 200 rounds. Out of 25 birds I hit 13. I was worried I wouldn't hit any. I'll be back down there next Thursday to try again.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT I went trap shooting

Post by 86er »

It sound like you're about average for someone familiar with guns but out of practice with shotgunning. I am sure your score will improve with repetition and some sound advice from the right people. Be careful, it is addicting. Good Luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

86er wrote:...Be careful, it is addicting. Good Luck!
Ditto!!!
:lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Joe's right. Those little clay targets can be addicting. I got into Sporting Clays several years ago. Ended up shooting every week on a league . Man, that got expensive. Only got out of it because we moved and there was no place to shoot within a reasonable driving distance.
NRA Life Member
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Mossberg 500.... my shoulder hurts just thinking about it! Those guns tend to be a bit light. If you have any heavier weight 12 ga. guns, I'd recommend using them.

13 outta 25 for your first round isn't bad. Best advice I can give you as a new shooter.... Full choke, shells that are 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2, keep your head down and your eye/eyes on the target. Your beads are just there to make sure things are lined up before calling for the target. Once you're set with your hold point, still your eye and soft focus out past the trap house. Call for the target, identify the angle, and make smooth move to the target. Don't try to aim or use your beads. Keep your eyes on the targets and "use the Force, Luke".

Good luck!

~Michael