Simulated ivory grips

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Simulated ivory grips

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I like the look of these -- especially the "aged" ones, and I know the polymers they are working with have continually improved, but are these grips slippery to the feel? Just wondering how practical they are. I know some come checkered, which would make a difference.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Simulated ivory grips

Post by Griff »

I have a set from Hogue for one of my 1911s... They were good, no more slippery than a smooth wood grip, IMO... too bad I ruined them trying to checker them myself! :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've often wondered about that myself!

I guess if you had a set and they were too slick a light bead blast might give just enough grip to help mitigate... maybe even tape off a pattern before blasting?

I suppose ya could just file notches and be a real gun fighter! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, you stole a page from my playbook, I see -- ruining stuff in the process of "improvement." :lol:
Gunny, you might have something there. Guess a feller has to get his paws on it first to make the call.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Bill, I have two sets of simulated ivory grips, both for Ruger Blackhawks. I took the set off of one, a Bisley, because I thought they looked gaudy. I left the ones on my short New Vaquero .45 Colt because they look more at home on that one. That one was from Hogue and I had to re-drill the locator holes for the roll pin; the other is a Ruger factory grip (Altamont) with the Ruger emblem. The simulated ivory is a micarta, I believe and it's as tough as any exotic wood and probably much more resistant to scuffs and staining. They have a good feel and the fit is excellent (once the holes were relocated on the Hogue grips).
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Mine are two tone for my Colt Commercial that are simulated ivory top and bottom with checkered wood in between. Gives a nice look and great grip when shooting. Not sure if they make SAA grips this two tone?

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill, are you looking at any particular set?

I agree with Griff - no more slick than smooth wood grips. The look though... that varies from fantastic to just awful!!!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I've got a set of Hogue ivory micarta Bisley grips and the ivory polymers for an XR3. I wouldn't call either of them slippery, even though the polymer set has a much smoother surface than the micartas. The micarta set is close to 20 years old and they've yellowed a bit, with a little "grain" showing in the spots that they were sanded when I fit them. I've thought about lightly sanding them overall to enhance the effect, but like others here I've had attempts at improvements go south so I've left them alone.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Ruger Super Blackhawk with American Holly from Texas Grips.
CIMG3388-resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jay, I was looking at the Alamonts. I don't need them yet as I still must acquire the sixgun I plan to put them on. :lol:
Twodot, thanks for reminding me about holly. I always seem to forget that dense and interesting wood.
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Fri May 26, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have some knife scale material, holly and madrona from the lot, and horse apple and synthetics from the store. Tempting to try making grips for the wrangler. BTW, y'all must know this but the non-super wrangler is a spitting image of the new vaquero. I hope they make a super-duper Wrangler 45.

grizz