Climate Change?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Climate Change?

Post by COSteve »

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from the Consulate at Bergen, Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coast cities uninhabitable ………

I forgot to mention that this report was from November 2 , 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post 100 years ago.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Climate Change?

Post by AJMD429 »

Climate Change is the realm of the naive, the corrupt, and the stupid, and those who are more concerned for their own virtue signaling than everyone else’s reality.

What is amazing is how many smart and well-meaning individuals fall for it. But they are the naive who are too worried about being labeled “anti-environment” to accept information outside their bubble, and the resulting cognitive dissonance. The Red Pill would shake them up too much if swallowed.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Here are 50 years of news articles about climate change that have never happened.

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-yea ... edictions/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

99% of the climate change alarmists are just watermelon commies - green on the outside and red to the core. :evil:
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Just this a.m. on the spanish version of deutsche world news there was a report of a pseudo terrorist group dedicated to tracking down "climate change deniers" who post such denials on social media. Their goal is vehement ostracizing and shaming and "cancelling" to begin with with ultimately "extra-legal" extremes.

It's not just the cross-eyed special-ed. wench in sweden and her parents. Apparently there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of what Y.K. described above as watermelons.....the radicalized variety !
m.A.g.a. !
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

COSteve wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:14 pm I forgot to mention that this report was from November 2 , 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post 100 years ago.
You also forgot to mention that it was a very localized phenomenon, centered around the Norwegian post at Spitzbergen. Averages from around the globe show no such change, meaning the extrapolations in the article weren't warranted.

Broader observations show a gradual warming starting circa 1920, followed by a leveling around 1945 (I've never read the explanation for that), followed by a steady rise since 1970.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:44 pm 99% of the climate change alarmists are just watermelon commies - green on the outside and red to the core. :evil:
Great quote Jay!!!

I recall what Gallagher did to watermelons...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

climate change is just another distraction while they continue the main game of transferring middle class wealth out of middle class hands. 3 years of covid, ukraine war debacle, BLM, the trans movement, climate change and maybe killer frogs from Mars next and the net effect of this monster of the week stuff is the worlds richest all doubled their money and I am paying more for groceries...

Even a medieval peasant knew whats up when he cant feed his kids, the King starts talking about witches and crusades, and the local barons ride around with extra bags of gold hanging off the saddle. distractions are old as history, we didnt get any smarter.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I wonder if all the emissions from the enormous increase in lithium mining have affected anything? More electric cars means a 200-fold increase in emissions due to mining. Seems that electric cars are a step backward when viewed from a total start to finish perspective. Natural gas is cheaper, less invasive to the planet, and ploduces H2O and CO2. Trees and blue-green algae need CO2 to feed off of. They produce O2.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

piller wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:38 am I wonder if all the emissions from the enormous increase in lithium mining have affected anything? More electric cars means a 200-fold increase in emissions due to mining. Seems that electric cars are a step backward when viewed from a total start to finish perspective. Natural gas is cheaper, less invasive to the planet, and produces H2O and CO2. Trees and blue-green algae need CO2 to feed off of. They produce O2.
The mileage at which electric cars are thought to lower total CO2 emissions is around 40,000. It depends on where the mineral processing is done (China is dirty) and how the cars are charged (wind turbines are fairly low).

Such calculations are subject to political bias, of course. Democrats smugly think they can compute an optimum way to reduce emissions, but they are vain fools. They haven't the courage to tackle the problem at the root, which would be a carbon auction with the proceeds returned to the citizens.

Trees and blue-green algae haven't stopped the remarkable rise in CO2 levels yet, have they?
99% of the climate change alarmists are just watermelon commies...
I don't think it's 99%, but I agree the majority of those wanting to act are indeed salivating at the thought of how much government control of the economy they might wrest. As I said, vain fools.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

So far, I have never seen any study that promotes electric cars which took into account the mining. Also, yes CO2 is still here, but the amount of CO2 removed by blue-green algae is surprising.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

piller wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:39 pm So far, I have never seen any study that promotes electric cars which took into account the mining.
I've read reference to several. Actually, I think most of the recent ones do. A quick look with google finds this one from MIT which does. I think the model from Argonne Labs used by the EPA also does.