CGCA show

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

CGCA show

Post by marlinman93 »

Heading out tomorrow morning before daylight to the Colorado Gun Collectors annual May show. The new venue is at Greeley, co. now and is 1000 tables. Four of us traveling together, and everyone is excited as usual, but maybe a little more with the larger venue!
It's a 2 day drive for us, so we'll make Wed. a long drive, so Thu. will be a short trip to get there for 2:00 p.m. opening for setup.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: CGCA show

Post by Griff »

Travel safe. Enjoy.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Headed out 1:00 AM Thursday. 1 Sharps display table and one Winchester trade table, see you there…
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, I look forward to seeing all the Marlin/Ballard treasures you inevitably bring home!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shrapnel wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:00 amHeaded out 1:00 AM Thursday. 1 Sharps display table and one Winchester trade table, see you there…
travel safe also. Keep a watch out for idiots in big trucks!! :wink: :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Tough show. Hardly any public interest. I doubt there were more than two people out of ten that were not dealers.

I did pick up a rare sight and good information on the 50-100-450 I just bought. It was well received by the dealers with a lot of interest in its rarity. There was quite a bit of junk there, something you don’t like to see at a collector’s show such as this.

At this point, I don’t know if I will go back next year…
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We had a great show, and nearly sold out of everything I took along by end of day Friday. I had one Ballard, and some small parts leftover when we headed out Sunday afternoon! The other guys all did well also, both selling and buying. We saw a lot of guys from the CGCA club Friday, and more from the public on Sat. too. Sunday was slow as it always is at any gun show, but we spent the slow time visiting and enjoying the social time.
I got a "bucket list" gun, so I'm very pleased with that purchase. It's of course another Ballard, in a factory engraved #6 Scheutzen, with a heavy 32" George C. Schoyen .32-40 barrel! I'll post some pictures once I recover from the week away from home!
One high point of the show wasn't even at the show! We went to a local steakhouse for dinner, and as we were waiting for dinner to arrive the waiter asked if we'd like a round of drinks. We asked why, and he said a young couple wanted to buy us drinks! When we asked why and who, he pointed at a couple nearby. We walked over to thank them and ask why, and the guy said he heard us talking about the show, and old guns and was having fun "eavesdropping" on our discussion. Turned out he is a deputy, and firearms instructor for the county. We asked them to join us, and we visited for almost an hour. As we left we noticed the restaurant was empty, and asked if we'd detained the staff? The lady told us they closed almost an hour earlier, but she thought we were enjoying ourselves and didn't want to kick us out! Just a great meal, and wonderful people! We left the deputy with an extra vendor's pass so he could attend the show the next day.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great report, Vall. Glad you found another bucket lister. There can’t be too many left on that list are there?😄
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nice one Vall... and thank you for extending the hospitality to the Deputy.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:48 am Great report, Vall. Glad you found another bucket lister. There can’t be too many left on that list are there?😄
It's getting tougher to fill!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:55 am Nice one Vall... and thank you for extending the hospitality to the Deputy.
He was a great young guy, and very outgoing. He really deserved our thanks for what he does, more than we deserved his kind gesture. He stopped at the show the next day to say hello and thank us for the entry badge.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good for you Val! Can't wait to see your new Ballard!
When I went to gun shows, gee been 20 years or so since I went to one! Er, I digress- we would get the check if we saw military in the restaurant. A PFC sure isn't making a ton of money!!
I miss those days...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:55 pm Good for you Val! Can't wait to see your new Ballard!
When I went to gun shows, gee been 20 years or so since I went to one! Er, I digress- we would get the check if we saw military in the restaurant. A PFC sure isn't making a ton of money!!
I miss those days...
My wife and I do the same for military or police officers whenever we can. Not often we see either in uniform around here, but we do it when we see them.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Some pictures of the George C. Schoyen Ballard #6 I was fortunate to buy at the CGCA show last weekend.

.32-40 heavy 32" barrel, with the Schoyen browned finish. Stocks and receiver are factory original, but the forearm was done by Henry Simmons, Schoyen's stock maker, to fit the Schoyen barrel and match the buttstock.
I'll have to build a palm rest to fit the dovetail base built into the barrel.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Fantastic! Congrats on another one for the bucket.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's a winner for sure! Beautiful piece of history. When skilled hands ruled !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks!
Dug through my old single shot parts today, and discovered a nice palm rest I think wont take much to rework. It's lighter colored wood, so I'll strip the finish and see if I can stain it dark enough to match once I reduce the shape, and make it fit my hand better.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I found the palmrest I thought might work, and began shaping and making it fit my left hand. Then after some sanding, I stained it darker, and applied about 8 coats of Wipe On Poly. I wet sanded the wood with 1000 grit after it cured well, and then rubbed in Minn Wax paste and buffed it, to give it some age to match the stocks.
I had some knurled knobs for a palmrest, and drilled the threaded holes out to fit a blued 3/8NF rod, and used the two knobs to lock one end to the palmrest, and the other end to secure the rod to the barrel and forearm.
It feels great, and is just the right height for my arms, and a nice fit in my hand.

Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Very fine work!