Gotta love ratchet straps!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Gotta love ratchet straps!

Post by GunnyMack »

So my 2016 Polaris Ranger now has new suspension under all 4 corners. Last year I did the front shocks with coil over, a heavier duty than OEM.
Last couple fish stockings I noticed I was getting more bounce with 6 buckets of fish on board.
After finding the correct replacements from the same manufacturer as the fronts I ordered a set that arrived today.
A few years ago I put a 2" lift on and these rear shocks needed some persuasive use of a ratchet strap to get them to compress enough to get the bolts in the bottom.
20230517_172320.jpg
20230517_172332.jpg
Kinda hard to see but strap is 'tied off' around the upper frame, through the mount around the shock then up to the door hinge on opposite side and cranked into position.
Took longer to figure out the strap than replacing the shocks !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Gotta love ratchet straps!

Post by Griff »

Good job! I love doin' stuff myself!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Rachet straps, come alongs, Hi-Lift jacks and small bottle jacks are very useful tools for more than their obvious uses.

Sheriff Wilson and I were able to get out of a real tight spot hard against the Border because of a rachet strap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My dad always told me, the better the 4WD, the better you get stuck!. That looks like a good one!

Will,
Some heavy thinking went into that one. Pretty cool!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have used all of the items mentioned for repairs, emergency trail repairs and extrications. But a long time off roader gave me a bit of advice many decades ago. “A 4x4 without a winch is like a condom with a hole in it. It might look good but sooner or later you’re going regret using it”.

It was about the same time I learned the 1.5 Rule. So when I was winch shopping and all the experts recommended an 8000# winch I bought a 12000# Warn. Never figured I had too much winch.

That was around the time the idea of using receiver mounts front and rear allowed putting the winch where it would work best. So, I keep the winch strapped down, with a ratchet strap, in the bed of my Scrambler. This puts the weight directly over the rear axel which also reduces road hop.

On my two wheel drive work truck I always had a rear factory receiver and had a front one installed. I carried that same winch in it. Never had to use it for getting myself out but a few times I unstuck others, pulled heavy stuff and lifted a few things for folks.

Not surprisingly I installed a front receiver on my Tacoma shortly after I bought it.

That original Warn is gone but a newer version, read lighter, 12000# winch still rides in my Tacoma or Scrambler.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My off road rule... stay in 2WD until you can't go any further. Then put it it 4WD and reverse! That works until you pick a destination and are determined to get there. My best off road vehicle was my 1972 Blazer. I put a limited slip front diff from a '69 International in it and a Detroit Locker in the rear. 4.11 back and 4.10 front... 38" tall gumbo mudders with a 5" lift kit. Bought it with a sick 350 ci engine, rebuilt it into a 325hp and rebuilt turbo 350 trans.
Blazer2.JPG
Never had a winch, but always carried a couple of shovels, hi-lift jack, and a set of chains for all 4 corners. Winter or summer, drove all over the deserts & mountains of CA during the 12 years I owned it. Sold it to my hunting partner, who rolled it down the freeway on a trip back from Northern Cal hog hunting. Sad end, luckily no was hurt in the wreck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes Jason I had to try 3 different times to get it just right. Biggest thing was crank on the ratchet then go around and see if it moved enough then back & forth to get it right. All good things to learn and file away for possible future use!

I think it was Pat McManus who said something about' go as far as you can in 2wd then as far as you can in 4 H then 4 L and walk out to get help! '

I had an 87 Toyota that would go anywhere, through anything. Only an 87 hp 4 banger but it got 37mpg!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey, if it works.......
I have done that with my Jeep lining up the track bar. Ran a ratchet strap from the Jeep over to the truck. Then cranked it over to locate the axle.

As mentioned above, there are few tools with more uses than a Hi-Lift jack.

Nope. Have it locked in before hand. Coming to a stop in 2wd, then locking the front end, you have to start from a stuck position with no momentum. Go in in 4wd. If you get stuck, winch out. You DO have a winch, don't you? :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Shovels, jacks, and winches are all useful. Getting stuck is not always from poor judgement, but getting unstuck can take some good judgement.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost