How long to wait

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

How long to wait

Post by FLINT »

In Sept. 2020 my wife bought me one of those numrich octagon barrels in 38-55. I had an 'extra' 94 in 30-30 so I took it to a local gunsmith in October 2020 to have the new barrel installed. He said he had a chamber gauge for 38-55 already, so it wouldn't be a problem. All he needed to do was change the barrel. no other work. I'll take care of the stock and forearm and tube, etc.
In Feb. 2021 I called to check on the progress. I was told not to call back and they would call me when it was done.
In October 2022 I stopped in to check on it. Nothing. got a big long *** story. can't get caught up, no time, but had enough time to spend 30 minutes to tell me how little time he had. wah. At that visit though he told me to keep on him about it. Not really my style, but ok.
I went back in Feb 2023. nothing. same *** story
Went back in March or April (starting to blur together). nothing. same *** story, but after telling me about it for 15 minutes he tells me how he feels like death and how his assitant went home early super sick, so I somehow didn't contract covid from him that day.
Went back last week. nothing. I ask if this is something he's going to be able to do. Reminded him that I brought it in in the year 2020. Tells me some bizarre story about someones gun he's had for 5 years because it needs some obsolete part. not sure what that has to do with my situation. he has all the parts he needs. he says that he promises that he will do it but he can't tell me when.
I guess my plan is to go back in June and see if he's done it and I guess if not by then I'll probably take it back. There's another guy in town that I can try. I'll go visit him soon to see what his backlog looks like.

It doesn't bother me so much that it's taking him a while, but what bothers me is that he's clearly choosing to work on other peoples stuff that came in after mine did. One of the previous times I was in there he was trying to illustrate how behind he was and read off the tag of the gun he was working on and it was from 2021. I was not impressed. I brought mine in a year earlier than that.

Anyways, what do you think? Is there a guy that does this kind of thing that accepts guns from out of state - shipped in? Thanks
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: How long to wait

Post by Blaine »

You have the patience of Job.
After he told you not to call back, I'd have gone full batshit on him and picked up my stuff. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ANDYLARSSON
Site Owner

Post by ANDYLARSSON »

Check with Lee Hadaway at the Armsroom.com

He does good work, is well acquainted with leverguns, and UPS goes to his door every day.

Trinidad Colorado

Highly recommended.

Hope that helps!

Andy
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's not that hard a job to do yourself. An action wrench and a vise with padded jaws. On my Numrich barrel installation, if I'd know how to check the headspace in 1988 I've have done it myself. As it was, I took it to a fellow cowboy action shooter who happened to work @ Weatherby who checked it for me, and called me when it was done. Said it was the easiest install he'd ever done. Basically installed bbl to torque spec, installed bolt and locking lug, checked headspace and called it good... no machining on bbl required. Flats were lined up and everything. I had it back in a week.

I finally had to sit my gunsmith down and tell him I needed my Paterson back by such & such a date. Date arrived and I stood over him for about 3 hours while he reassembled and made sure it worked. It didn't work well, but I have been able to shoot it, which is a huge improvement over when I dropped it off in 2020... 3 years!

That's the difference between an organized business and a solo 'smith with no prior business experience. When I had my 1851s modified out in CA 15 or 16 years ago, I contacted the smith, also a solo operation, and asked when he'd schedule them to be worked on... he told me a date and when he'd need them by. I shipped them off.. and a few weeks after the agreed completion date, I was able to get thru CA and pick them up. He's since retired and I have two more to do, and both 'smiths that have been recommended are reputed to be very slow. Another just announced his retirement the first of this week. I'm visited with a fourth, (very local to me)... and after inspecting what I wanted done, we agreed on a date and he asked that I be present to "supervise" to ensure I'm getting the job I want done, not what someone else wants to do.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Use better people,
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I don't understand it either, but evidently gunsmiths have extraordinarily terrible time management skills. Years ago I dropped a 1911 off with a well known outfit to have Novak sights installed. 8 weeks he says. I call after 2 months, nope, not done yet. 6 more weeks he says...call a month and a half later - nope, not done yet. Give me two more weeks. Call back at two weeks. No, not done yet but stop by after work and it'll be ready. I stop in after work and he's working at the Bridgeport, sees me, eyes get big, scrambles over to workbench and picks up cigar box full of disassembled 1911. Drops everything else and does the job while I wait. Quality work, can't complain about the job done at all, but the wait was redonculous. Shooting it out back at dusk to regulate the sights wasn't ideal either, but it worked out.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Well, I was trying to be patient and understanding. the last couple years have been hard on most people.

But then I figured that he was overlooking my stuff because I wasn't pushing hard enough. So I pushed harder and he got all hurt, so he'll now probably avoid my stuff because he figures I'm a jerk or that I'm going to come get my stuff anyways. I can never win.
ANDYLARSSON wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:44 pm Check with Lee Hadaway at the Armsroom.com

He does good work, is well acquainted with leverguns, and UPS goes to his door every day.

Trinidad Colorado

Highly recommended.

Hope that helps!

Andy
Thanks, I checked his website. if the other smith in town doesn't look like a good option I'll call Lee.
Old Savage wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:21 pm Use better people,
haha, easier said that done.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You have what is likely a reliable recommendation here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Sounds like taxidermists.... :roll:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gcs wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:51 pmSounds like taxidermists.... :roll:
Actually, I've had better luck with taxidermists. But, maybe I've been lucky! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I would have picked up my parts a long, long time ago and went elsewhere, anywhere else. I can't stand getting *** stories and basic BS run around.
NRA Life Member
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

TedH wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:43 pm I would have picked up my parts a long, long time ago and went elsewhere, anywhere else.
+1 to that -- spring 2021 would have been my limit, lacking an eye-to-eye firm handshake on the guarantee of a date.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

ok, thanks! I'll stop back by in a couple weeks and pick them up. I'll likely end up sending them to Lee Hadaway. Thanks for the recommendation.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What Blaine said. You have Biblical patience. However, I must confess that I waited well over a year some time back for my always-behind gunsmith to replace a spring in a little Mauser Model 1914 in .25 ACP.
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Tue May 23, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

He either, A) doesn't know how to do the job, or B) lacks some tool he needs to do it. Either way, get your gun and go to a real gunsmith.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Did you actually set your own eyes on YOUR gun? Are you sure he still has it?

I would get the gun back immediately. For sure you can find someone with both the skills and the apprpriate customer commitment.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Yep, I think gunsmiths and locksmiths march to the beat of a different drum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Any gunsmith who couldn't get this done within a reasonable time isn't worth using. This can be done in one day easily, and even if the smith is busy there's no reason to not have the job done in a month. Sounds like he's putting other jobs ahead of yours, and I'm amazed you are patient enough to let it go more than a few months.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks guys. I'll probably go get my gun and barrel sooner than later then. I'm kind of worried that my stuff is going to be all rusty for sitting in his little metal building for 3 years.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Just an update.

I finally went and picked up my barreled action and new barrel today.

I won't go into all of the rediculous details, but it was a stuff show. I got my gun and barrel back but they lost the bullets that I gave them for chambering testing or whatever. I had given them I think a factory 38-55 round and one of my reloads. The barrel was taped to the gun with masking tape and covered in a thick layer of dust. The worst part is there was some deep etched in rust on the "new" barrel and also some on the rifle receiver. The gunsmith never apologized or anything. he actually didn't even say anything to me but only communicated through his dopey assistant.

I dropped the rifle and barrel off this evening with another smith in town. this one promised that I'd have it back in less than 6 months. I guess we'll see.

not sure if it's worth leaving a negative google review.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:39 pm You have the patience of Job.
After he told you not to call back, I'd have gone full batshit on him and picked up my stuff. 8)
Exactly what I would have done. Remember, HE’S working for YOU.

Your experience hit a nerve with me.

It’s simple, either he can do the job or he can’t and obviously he can’t. There’s no reason in hell why he can’t give you a ballpark estimation of time….I always insist on that and if he says, “2 months” I tell him I’ll see him in 2 months.

I’m always up front and say I pay in cash and I’m not a whiner if there’s over costs.

#1…(first learning experience) convert a 94 to 44-40. I supplied all of the parts….he tells me “about 3 months” . I let it go for 6 months and call…nothing….I let it go another 6 months and drive to his shop and he tells me he’s getting ready to work on it…I said, “f.u, give me all my s. He says there’s a $30 handling fee…..I tell him, Don’t make a scene, give me my S now and you can sue me for the $30.

#2..experienced now….take a Great Western full sized SAA in .22 to be converted to 32-20. He says, “no problem, give me a couple of months…6 months go by and I tell him to send the gun back within 5 working days or I’ll report it stolen. Gun came pronto. Can’t remember his first name but his last was Morrison from Denver, Co.

#3…take a 25-20 to have a dovetail milled or filed at the end of the barrel for a full magazine….he says, 2 weeks……2 months go by and I did the same as #2..

#4…there’s a top notch b.s.artist that used to post here….Joe something from Tar Sporting……he wants my Browning 348 for 900. He says he needs it quick as he is going on a hunt…..he emails me the FFL, I send gun…2 weeks later, no money…I call he says it’s coming…2 weeks later, no money…..I call….2weeks later, no money…….I call telling him it’s a Federal Crime not to pay for a gun and if I don’t get my money in 3 days, I’ll have the Dallas, Texas ATF knocking on his door…..Check comes in two days. The guy is a dead beat.

Just keep in mind you do not have to kiss A with a gunsmith….I keep it “business 100%”. I suggest you do the same….there’s lots of gunsmiths out there who keep their word.—006
Model A Uzi’s
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:27 pm
Blaine wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:39 pm You have the patience of Job.
Exactly what I would have done. Remember, HE’S working for YOU.

Your experience hit a nerve with me.

It’s simple, either he can do the job or he can’t and obviously he can’t. There’s no reason in hell why he can’t give you a ballpark estimation of time….I always insist on that and if he says, “2 months” I tell him I’ll see him in 2 months.

I’m always up front and say I pay in cash and I’m not a whiner if there’s over costs.

#1…(first learning experience) convert a 94 to 44-40. I supplied all of the parts….he tells me “about 3 months” . I let it go for 6 months and call…nothing….I let it go another 6 months and drive to his shop and he tells me he’s getting ready to work on it…I said, “f.u, give me all my s. He says there’s a $30 handling fee…..I tell him, Don’t make a scene, give me my S now and you can sue me for the $30.

#2..experienced now….take a Great Western full sized SAA in .22 to be converted to 32-20. He says, “no problem, give me a couple of months…6 months go by and I tell him to send the gun back within 5 working days or I’ll report it stolen. Gun came pronto. Can’t remember his first name but his last was Morrison from Denver, Co.

#3…take a 25-20 to have a dovetail milled or filed at the end of the barrel for a full magazine….he says, 2 weeks……2 months go by and I did the same as #2..

#4…there’s a top notch b.s.artist that used to post here….Joe something from Tar Sporting……he wants my Browning 348 for 900. He says he needs it quick as he is going on a hunt…..he emails me the FFL, I send gun…2 weeks later, no money…I call he says it’s coming…2 weeks later, no money…..I call….2weeks later, no money…….I call telling him it’s a Federal Crime not to pay for a gun and if I don’t get my money in 3 days, I’ll have the Dallas, Texas ATF knocking on his door…..Check comes in two days. The guy is a dead beat.

Just keep in mind you do not have to kiss A with a gunsmith….I keep it “business 100%”. I suggest you do the same….there’s lots of gunsmiths out there who keep their word.—006
Thanks Six,

sounds like you've had some bad experiences as well. I'd rather these guys just be honest and let the customer know a realistic time frame - or turn down work if they know they don't have time to do it. This isn't my first experience like this either. In my recent situation, the thing that bothered me the most is that he was clearly putting my job on the back burner and continually finishing new jobs. there are even recent google reviews about how people got their stuff fixed quickly. so it's not like he's just backed up three years.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Flint, I'm glad you got your stuff back. Considering the rust, things were obviously going downhill.

Six, you're absolutely right. A customer shouldn't have to put up with that.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Flint,
“honesty” is a rare character trait these days. …….we are all familiar with car sales people….they forget who you are after they get your loot…….the internet is full of scammers and L.E. just does not have the resources to tract these low life’s down and even if they did catch em, the crooks just change identities.

Our society is lawless right now except for serious crimes and the crooks know it….even President Donald Trump says HRC is a crook. :D
Model A Uzi’s