Replacement front sight post bead

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Replacement front sight post bead

Post by FLINT »

the front sight on my old 1894 winchester is missing the little bead. I was thinking that I should be able to file a flat spot/shelf into the little post and solder or epoxy a little bead onto it. However, I'm having a hard time thinking about a source for a little bead. I'm sure if I thought long and hard enough I'd think of something, but thought I'd throw it out to you guys as you may have already solved this problem a time or two. Thanks!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Replacement front sight post bead

Post by GunnyMack »

A 'mid bead ' for shotgun rib is what you need! However I'm not sure if you have enough room to drill & tap.
Brownells has a #1 brass bead, it is .067" dia, you'll need a 3x56 tap and a #45 drill.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Are you talking about SRC blade sight with bead? If so they are still made.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Williams Gun Sight Co has the entire front sight including brass bead for sale in various widths and heights for about $15.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

yeah, I could get a whole marbles front sight on midway for $12.50 but I thought it might be quick and easy to just glue a little bead back on. maybe not.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

You can get round stock in any size and material you need .
Low temp silver solder . But really I would look for an original on ebay.I see them often .King ,Sheard,Marbles, WRA .

Other option until ,I would take flat bar and shape a bead type post blade out of the stock.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The Lyman post sight is also available
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Simple….file the top 1/16 of an inch of the part of the sight facing you and put a dab of bright white paint on it…..I must have done that 30 times.

Leave it rough as the paint will hold better…flat white…
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Sixgun wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:35 pm Simple….file the top 1/16 of an inch of the part of the sight facing you and put a dab of bright white paint on it…..I must have done that 30 times.

Leave it rough as the paint will hold better…flat white…

I thought about that actually. Maybe I'll try that first and see how it works. thanks!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I'm cursed when it comes to sight beads, they disappear on me with great regularity. For a long time I'd just replace the sight until finally, like Six, I just started fixing them with a dab of bright paint. Have more painted sights than not at this point!
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I have a Win 94 that was manufactured in 1906. I replaced the damaged front sight with a highly visible fiber optic sight. Not historically correct, but I am really pleased with the functionality.
NRA life member
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I misread the original post ,thought the top broke off. If the bead is just missing there should be a hole where it was pressed in . If not it was the tinned type bead which you could just add low temp silver solder and shape.
You can easily make the bead out of brazing rod or any small round stock easily found at any hardware store with hand drill to spin and file.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Way back, while on a hunting foray I discovered the bead missing on my 336. I took a straight pin and cut it down, then tapped the short pin shank into the front sight. the head of the pin was the new bead. Stayed like that for many years until I upgraded to the Williams firesite.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks,

here are some pictures. looks like maybe someone put some solder on it in the past - maybe to solder a bead to it, or to try and make a bead out of solder.

Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

You mention "Post" type and older rifle ,thought you were talking original era SRC . What you have is late style dovetailed front for ramp .

I'm sure if you take a file and slowly remove that solder you can expose the original bead hole or where it was. If it clogged with soft solder proper size drill should clean it out.

Get your brass pin stock I mentioned above chuck it in a hand drill leaving 1/8" or so sticking out and use small mill file to reduce the diameter to match drilled hole..

If you take your time and measure with calipers you can get a good resistance fit .Cut and polish the main bead diameter to length and your done.
You can spin the bead in drill and put a nice polish on it.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

brass bb?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Back in the 1970-80s I would stop in nearly every gun shop in Orange County, CA looking for Winchester 94s, mostly to see if someone took either of my stolen rifles in trade or... any good collectible mdl 94. I was in this one shop and spied a 94 in the used gun rack... asked to see it... Near new production, 1978 IIRC, and looked to be in great shape... except, the entire top of the front sight had been broken off, no bead, to round portion to attach it to. I asked the salesman what the story was... "... it was brought back in just before Christmas and the buyer wasn't a happy camper... it shot a foot high... and he could make it shoot any lower... So we gave him back $150 credit since he'd had it over 90 days..." So... I told the salesman, I've looking for a project to rebarrel and offered $100 for it, as is." He said he'd have to check with the owner... be right back. Went in back... and came back a few minutes later with the owner, who said ok. "...Cash?" I said yep and laid out 5 $20s. He did some figuring and wrote out a receipt for "X" $s plus tax with a total of $100 and asked if there was anything else he could help me with? I asked if he happened to have a new front sight for that model 94. Just the insert... as everything else was there. With the hood on, it was hard to see that the bead was broken off! I know he said he lost money on the deal... but I seriously doubt it... he was known to wheel & deal. Yes, he gave me a new insert for the ramp, and all was well with that rifle. I figure the previous buyer thought he needed to lower the front sight to move impact lower... and never bothered to ask anyone! That action became the base of my target 94:
tangsight1.JPG
tang sight.JPG
magcap.JPG
DSCN1425.JPG
Custom 94.JPG
26" Numrich barrel, .30-30, .850 across the flats at breech & muzzle, a Shiloh hooded front sight, a Smith Enterprises tang sight, CCH receiver and Fajen wood. probably my #1 favorite rifle. It's original parts have become parts of other cobbled together 94s!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Pat C wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:02 am You mention "Post" type and older rifle ,thought you were talking original era SRC . What you have is late style dovetailed front for ramp .

I'm sure if you take a file and slowly remove that solder you can expose the original bead hole or where it was. If it clogged with soft solder proper size drill should clean it out.

Get your brass pin stock I mentioned above chuck it in a hand drill leaving 1/8" or so sticking out and use small mill file to reduce the diameter to match drilled hole..

If you take your time and measure with calipers you can get a good resistance fit .Cut and polish the main bead diameter to length and your done.
You can spin the bead in drill and put a nice polish on it.
Thanks, I might try that. I might just heat up the solder and see if it will just run down out of the way. or I might just order a replacement from Midway.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

rossim92 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:55 ambrass bb?
that was the first thing I thought of, but a bb would be way too big. I was trying to think if there were smaller diameter 'bbs' available anywhere. like tiny ball bearings or something, but must be not.
Griff wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:59 pm
26" Numrich barrel, .30-30, .850 across the flats at breech & muzzle, a Shiloh hooded front sight, a Smith Enterprises tang sight, CCH receiver and Fajen wood. probably my #1 favorite rifle. It's original parts have become parts of other cobbled together 94s!
awesome rifle.

I got one of those numrich barrels in 38-55 three years ago and took it to a local gunsmith with a 94 receiver to have him put the barrel on for me. It's still there. Everytime I go to check on it he gives me the same *** story about not being able to get caught up from the pandemic. but clearly he's continuing to choose to work on new jobs over my rifle, so I don't have much sympathy. I'll check on it again next month and if it's not done I'll just take it back.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

This is common pin stock at my local hardware store $2.79 per pack . 1/16 brass . A dremmel tool with 1/16 collet or small hand drill makes a good poor man's lathe. Use a good needle file to reduce diameter to make a shouldered bead.